Thread: Pomeroy roll call

I'm thinking seriously about getting on Don's list and I'd like to hear from owners their favorite and least favorite things about their Pomeroys. Hey Lee, if you see this, would you compare your Pomeroy to your BRW for me? Sorry, but I don't know how to PM or I would ask you that way.

Thanks in advance.
    Piece
    Matt

Matt,

I'd love to comment but I'm still deep in a self imposed moratorium on the subject, having said at least too much in previous posts. I will tell you that even though I was under the influence of "MY NEW MANDO'S HERE!" euphoria at the time I still stand by what I wrote. And it's maturing very nicely, I'm still quite impressed.

Great question for Lee, by the way. I'd thought of asking the same thing, knowing he owns both a pomeroy and a BRW.

There was some discussion awhile back about the neck profile. It is definitely on the thick side and I happen to like it. But folks who prefer a thinner neck may not. It's one of those personal preferences issues that you have to puzzle out for your ownself. Does the luthier build a mando that fits me and my style?

Good luck on the deciding process, it's almost as much fun as playing.
    Jay

Here is my Pomeroy, #47. Great tone and even better fit/finish. Don is a really great guy to work with and his prices are starting to climb. I doubt you'd be disappointed with anything he built you. BTW, Don can build any neck width or radius configuration you're after.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pomeroyfront__Small_.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	6137  

another one...

Name:	Pomeroyback__Small_.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	6138  

last one...

Name:	Pomeroyscroll__Small_.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	6139  

I should know soon.

I believe Don begins work on my F4 within two weeks!

Matt:
    I have a Pomeroy, and a store in my area has at least three others. I mostly play classical style (I have an F-4) and I find Don's instruments perfect for the type of music I play. I think Don is a great person to deal with and I have really come to appreciate his interest in the input from people that own his instruments.

-Don

I'd describe the BRW as having a throatier more aggressive tone than the Pomeroy which I'd describe as crisper and sweeter. #Both have excellent volume and pop to them. #The Pomeroy V-neck is as comfortable as the BRW's round neck. #I wouldn't describe the Pomeroy neck as "thick" except that the V shape does have more depth. #I think the nut widths are comparable. #Both are exquisitely crafted with wonderful fretwork and attention to detail. #You may or may not like the appearance of Pomeroy's less-than-glossy finish (I think it looks very classy and gorgeous) #but it sure does feel nice on the back of the neck. #Apparently new Pomeroy's don't use the reverse tuners anymore. #You'd be doing yourself a massive favor by considering either one of these builders. #
    By the way, if this means anything; that gorgeous blacktop Pomeroy is JJBoone101's second Pomeroy. After owning one, I came back for a second Pomeroy too. BRW also has his share of repeat owners.

Wye Knot

I have #43 and absolutely love it. It's still improving, too. I've had nothing but great comments about how it sounds everywhere I take it. I enjoy the reverse tuners, I love the one piece back (very similar to #47 above), and the tone is fantastic. It did me right at the Utah state instrument championships last year, too.

I'm considering one of Ben Wilcox's two-point beauties, too.

Joy to all,
    Ken
    Less talk, more pick.

Ken,

Looks like you did alright in the guitar portion of the 2004 contest as well. Between you and Ezra, looks like you own that place,

fuzzy

I actually have the first Pomeroy. It is Don's #13 but the first with the Pomeroy name on it. It has the great fit and finish that is Don's trademark. It also has a wonderful woody tone and sustain. It does not have a truss rod. It, of course, has the "righty-tighty" tuners which doesn't bother me since they work great and it stays in tune well.

I got it two years ago at the Great Divide Music Store in Aspen. As soon as I started playing it I knew it was the mandolin I'd been looking for. The neck fit my hand perfectly and the sound was what I wanted to hear. The original set-up was high and it looked like it could use some work along the fretboard. When I sent it back to Don for the work I upgraded to his newer bridge and fancy tailpiece cover. Don was great to talk with and got it back to me promptly.

From what I've seen and heard, forty mandolins later, Don is just getting more dialed in. But, #13 has all the attributes that make his new mandolins so desirable.

I guess I can jabber away about my favorite things about it. My least favorite? I miss my MAS. Although I know there are better mandos out there (I've even played some) I haven't really wanted another F-style since I've gotten #13. Its chop is very solid but it's not that booming Gibson chop. It is still more mandolin than my playing level. I'd have to spend way more money than I have to upgrade.

Wayne
    Smile Anyway

Sweet! Here is another of my beautiful Pomeroy A2. Don is about 3-4 weeks from starting on my new F4 that I know is going to be wonderful.
    Richard Wiley

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	182 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	6286  

Question

Last one.

Name:	4.JPG 
Views:	192 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	6287  

So, which color is correct. The bottom appears more Pomerish. That rear shot is exquisite.
    Wye Knot

Hi Lee957, Good to hear from you.
    You are quit correct, the last picture is much closer to the actual color. I was not at all happy with the couple of shots that were of a darker nature, bummer of a photo man methinks.
    In response to the initial start of this thread, I am hoping that making it known that I have another Pomeroy on order that my opinion of Pomeroy mandolins is very high indeed! I very much love the looks,playability, and sound.
    Richard

Got a better shot of the A2 Pomeroy.

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	207 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	6300  

Richard -

Any ETA on the F4?

John

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (jjboone101 @ Jan. 22 2005, 19:33)
    Here is my Pomeroy, #47. Great tone and even better fit/finish. Don is a really great guy to work with and his prices are starting to climb. I doubt you'd be disappointed with anything he built you. BTW, Don can build any neck width or radius configuration you're after.
    Hey jjboone101,

I really love the looks of your #47, and may put in an order with Don for similar specs. What do the sides look like-any pics?

How's the tone? Is it a radiused fretboard?

Larry

Larry, Don generally builds a radiused neck, but will do a flat one if you want. Go to Great Divide music and you can find other photos of Pomeroys. Ken's #43 is there and so is the old #13. Their description of the tone of a Pomeroy is quite good, the "ringing tone" is certainly correct. If you send me a private mail I have some photos of mine and others I can send you. I don't have PhotoShop and can't shrink them or I'd post.
    Wye Knot

Larry,

Tone is really wonderful. Bell-like on the A/E and nice and resonant on the G/D. Mine is a 10-degree radiused fretboard. I retrofitted my blacktop Pomeroy with some black-button Schaller tuners I picked up in the classifieds from Peter Mix. See pics. You also asked for a side shot.

Name:	P1010008__Small_.JPG 
Views:	176 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	6525  

Back of the tuners. Kind of hard to see against that chair...

Name:	P1010009__Small_.JPG 
Views:	185 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	6526  

Last. Shot of side, as requested.

Name:	P1010010__Small_.JPG 
Views:	188 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	6527  

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow-#47 is such a beautiful instrument! Don's work is really spectacular.

Thanks for the additional pics. I was curious about the sides. I wonder if Don can stain the binding a bit yellow to give mine an aged look?

Time to start selling pints of blood and my guitars so I can get on the list.

Thanks, Larry