Thread: Jason Anick and his Jazzbo; video

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Default Jason Anick and his Jazzbo; video

I have posted another video over in the "jazz" section of the forum, so if this isn't to your taste, then switch over to the other. This one is called "Occupy", both are originals, and Jason's obviously writing in a more modern-jazz vein than his other gig boss, John Jorgenson. Uses, if I remember correctly, a Fishman amp/D.I and the amp serves as a stage monitor which he uses to shape his sound the way he wants it, then turns it way down, with the main signal going through the p.a. for more even distribution. You'll see the band working off charts, as this was only their second gig together, ever.

2. The following members say thank you to Charlieshafer for this post:

Chinn 

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Default Re: Jason Anick and his Jazzbo; video

What instrument is this? I know it's a Jazzbo, but I see 6 strings. Is it a guitar or mando?
    Forgive my ignorance.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

There are five strings there, just tough to see. It's a typical 5-string electric mandolin with a low c string. The Jazzbo is made by Paul Lestock of Arrow instruments, out of Portland, Maine. Most 5-string electrics are solid bodied, and a good number of hollow-bodied electrics are 8-string, so this is one of those cross-overs.

Charlie, has Paul moved, or is that a typo?
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

That's what I heard Jason say, anyway. I can find out for sure, if you'd like. It was a veeeery sweet little instrument.

On second thought, he might have meant Oregon, but I know he said Maine, as I was little surprised, too.

Blog Entries

Any idea the pickups he has on that thing?

While it's obviously colored by the room, he gets a really nice sound out of it. Thanks for linking the video.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

Don't know what the pickups are, I'll ask him. The room didn't color it too much, though the room does have a nice open sound to it. He did spend a bit of time dialing it in exactly the way he wanted. That's the nice thing about the Fishman. Even before tinkering with the eq, it really had that nice fat tone you get on big jazz boxes, so I'd say the bulk of the sound was in the acoustics of the instrument and the pickup. Worth asking, I'll find out. I know he's on tour with Jorgenson right now (his gig with us Friday night was cancelled thanks to 34 inches of snow) but he always gets emails..

Just sent him an email...

Answers: Indeed, it is Portland, Oregon, and Jason can get you in touch with him if desired, and the pickups, Jason thinks, are Kent Armstrongs. He also said if anyone wants to contact him directly to feel free through the PM feature here, as he is a registered user.

I knew this guy looked familiar. I have a friend at Berklee that took violin lessons from him for a while.