Thread: Selling Vintage Mandolin- Elderly, Mand. Bros. or Skinner?

Default Selling Vintage Mandolin- Elderly, Mand. Bros. or Skinner?

Hello all- I've decided to sell my 1921(?) Lyon & Healy "C" mandolin, all original and in great shape with beautiful tone. Has original tailpiece but no cover. Great violet velvet original H/W & leather case. People speak highly of both Elderly & Mandolin Bros., but what about Skinner Auction? Buyer is coming to Orlando next month to see it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Rob

Default Re: Selling Vintage Mandolin- Elderly, Mand. Bros. or Skinner?

Have you tried the cafe classifieds?
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Thanks, yes I've looked, but there isn't really any comp to it- even tried archives on several sites. either it's a quirky lemon or just doesn't come up for sale all that often!.

I am not really sure what you are asking. You are trying to sell a L&H , and already have a buyer for it? So what's the issue? Or are you trying to determine the value or get it appraised?

He means the auction buyer for Skinner is coming to Orlando to see it.

A simple two-minute Google search reveals 5 Style C mandolins for sale by dealers around the USA. (There are probably more, but I stopped at 5.) They range in price from $1495 at Chicago Music Exchange (for a later Washburn-branded instrument with a plain Waverly tailpiece) to $2500 at Mandolin Bros. There are 2 more at $1800 and one at $2195.

The Mandolin Bros. price is pretty optimistic, but they are Mandolin Bros., after all. Provided that this Style C has all its original hardware apart from the TPC, has the OHSC and is free from damage or repairs, you're probably best advised to ask about $1500-1600 for it in the Classifieds. (Loss of the tailpiece cover is a major blow to its value.) If you want to provide photos of the label and headstock, along with the serial number and scale length, we can help you nail down the year.

If you consign it to a dealer or auctioneer, you'll have to pay a commission. If you sell it through the Classifieds, you get to keep the money, apart from making a donation to the Cafe for the privilege.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Rob M. -
    Elderly's will take instruments on consignment for re-sale (a friend sold a banjo this way). Sale price, less commission, should be higher than an outright sale to a dealer.
    Lee

If your going to sell through a dealer maybe there is one close to you. No back and forth shipping costs. You can stop by and visit with it from time to time. A shop with only a couple of mandolins means that yours isn't overlooked. At Mandolin Bros. there are many mandolins and some of the best in the world. Yours can get lost in that crowd of eye candy. If I went into a shop with only a few mandolins I will probably pick up every one and I'd probably think that something like yours was pretty cool--not so at Mandolin Bros. I'm heading for the Loar or the Giacomel and probably wouldn't even notice an old L & H. Sometimes things on consignment can take a long time to sell. As stated above when dealers buy they don't seem to want to spend much. It's a better deal to consign.
    Classified is a good way to go . Mandolin Bros. or Elderly do have a large clientele and can get higher prices usually but remember a big piece of that is theirs. They might decide that it needs set up, buffed up or repaired before displaying it and the cost of that gets added to the sales price and ultimately out of your end. You can ask a good fair price if you sell privately ,everyone wins and the money is all yours.
    Remember that when dealing with vintage instruments condition and originality are a big deal. It's possible that the condition of the high priced Mandolin Bros. instrument could be attributed to it being in exceptional excellent condition.(I don't know I haven't looked it up.) A pristine 80+ year old instrument is usually worth much,much more than one that is even just a little worse.
    Last edited by barney 59; Feb-04-2013 at 3:39am.

Quote Originally Posted by barney 59 View Post
    At Mandolin Bros. there are many mandolins and some of the best in the world. Yours can get lost in that crowd of eye candy. If I went into a shop with only a few mandolins I will probably pick up every one and I'd probably think that something like yours was pretty cool--not so at Mandolin Bros. I'm heading for the Loar or the Giacomel and probably wouldn't even notice an old L & H.
    Not so sure about that. Mandolin Brothers is prob one of a handful of vintage dealers that has a wide selection of mandolins. Anyone who wants to try out a stack of mandolins will make the trip. Ironically, tho, despite the name, there are prob a lot more guitars there than mandolins, but that has more to do with the relative popularity of each instrument.

Also, bear in mind that L&H are desired by a subset of the mandolin-buying population who know them and are looking specifically for one. Yes, not for bluegrassers for sure. Maybe I am the weird one, but the last time I went there I went straight to the L&H. Yes I played and put back quickly The Loar and the Giacomel.

What is the positive side to selling on consignment at a reputable dealer is that they will basically handle everything for you. Yes, you pay for that service but you will not have to pack and ship it to someone and will not have to deal with phone calls about details and then accept it back when it doesn't meet with the buyer's expectations. There is something to that.

The Cafe classifieds are an excellent way to sell otherwise if you don't want to pay a large chunk of the selling price for the consignment fee,

I agree that the tailpiece's absence downgrades the price.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I agree that the tailpiece's absence downgrades the price.
    Especially the L&H. Those L&H tailpieces are really beautiful.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....