Thread: Casa Fandata

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Default Casa Fandata

Listed Here on Seattle Craigslist. Seems wildly overpriced to me, but if anyone knows about this instrument or brand that would suggest it's not just another Italian bowlback, I'd be interested in the information.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Default Re: Casa Fandata

The seller is off on a few things. This mandolin was made by Giovanni Minieri. Casa Fondata nel 1870 is prob at the top of the label but I believe that means "the house (company) was founded in 1870." it is a fancy mandolin but if in playable condition i would say it is worth prob 1/10 what he is asking, maybe $1000. Here is what the label prob looks like.

Minieri was a good maker and this is a rather ornate one with some nice fluting on the back. The best thing would be if you could examine it in person. It could be a nice mandolin but -- take it from me -- it could also have some serious issues. You don't really know until you have it in hand.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC_008S.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	97753  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

For historical purposes...

Name:	minieri_bowl.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	97754   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	minieri_detail1.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	97755   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	minieri_full.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	97756  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	minieri_full2.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	97757   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	minieri_full3.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	97758   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	minieri_label.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	97759  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic1.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	97760  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

This 1905 Italian Mandolin from Casa Fandata is not only a classic, but has a beautiful sound. Its accordian wood belly produces warm and true tone and sound. I had all the Mother of Pearl accents repaired and/or replaced 16 years ago and have kept it in pristine condition every since. This instrument has been valued between $9,500 and $10,000. Although Casa Fandata was not the #1 Mandolin Maker in Italy at the time it has been estimated that this was one of the top 4 Mandolin Makers in Italy at the time. See for yourself, hear for yourself, play, and fall in love with this instrument.
    Only reasonable offers will be considered.
    Very interesting... it is hard to tell but it seems like the mandolin bridge is missing its bone saddle insert so I am not sure how the seller knows that it has a "beautiful sound." I wonder what he considers a reasonable offer.

BTW Alfred Woll in Germany has a 1908 Minieri Liuto. That I imagine would be rarer than a mandolin but I doubt he is asking as much as the CL seller.

There is also a thread from 2010 about a Minieri mandolin. In it the owner links to a page he set up about the mandolin. In it he relates:

In 1998, my wife and I brought the mandolin to Hartford, Connecticut when the PBS series “Antiques Roadshow” was coming through. I wanted to know more information on the luthier rather than getting an appraisal on the instrument. But fate worked out backwards. Kerry Kane and Frederick Oster thoroughly examined the mandolin for about five minutes, told me it was “beautiful”, but found no information on its maker in their three inch thick reference books and relatively infant internet linked computer. They estimated that it was worth $1000, which I laughed to them “C’mon! For this broken old thing?!” I still disagree with that estimate because now you can hardly give these things away on eBay!!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

The bridge is also sitting on the bottom side of the cant (so intriguingly described as an accordion soundboard) which is often done in an attempt to lower the action. Combined with the lack of the bone insert, it might suggest a little neck rotation over the years

cheers

graham

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

We used to go for margaritas and tacos at Casa Fandata over on the east side of Austin. Stiff drinks. Often there was an accordion player as well. Occasionally some fluting as well which is pretty rare in Norteρa music.

Mick

Maybe I'm misreading this thread....
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Great ad. "Accordian wood belly" I would guess refers to the fluted bowl, not to what we would call the belly. Interesting that someone valued it at $9500 to $10000 without bothering to work out who the builder was. I found my Ceccherini in a Craig's List ad that identified the builder as "Napoli".

I barely speak Italian but I can figure out who made a mandolin by the label. Of course, we all have access to Google Translate which does a semi-passable job.

Bruce, I assume that also -- that the seller was referring to the fluted bowl.

It is a nice mandolin if offered for considerably less money, but I the position of the bridge set alarms off to me -- very possible need for a neck reset and who knows what else.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Thanks all for the information. I was testing my instincts (as you could have guessed) not thinking of buying such an instrument.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Quote Originally Posted by billhay4 View Post
    Thanks all for the information. I was testing my instincts (as you could have guessed) not thinking of buying such an instrument.
    Much cheaper in the long run...
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

it's back ... down to $3500:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/4097971678.html

See the little inlaid ebony dot on the bass side, just north of the cant? That's where the bridge is supposed to be. Fancy bridges sometimes have a glued-on dot on either end (the treble dot is missing).

Basically, one can't believe a word this seller says. It's simply not credible that "Casa Fandata" was one of Italy's top 4 mandolin makers, because there's no such mandolin maker as Casa Fandata. (I don't know how well regarded Minieri was, or whether ranking old Italian luthiers isn't too essentially problematic to even bother with.) I don't know exactly what "$400 to $600 worth of fret face work" means either, but the idea that "professionals" could play the mandolin without noticing that the neck was out of alignment or the bridge was out of place calls into question just what kind of professionals they were. Plumbers? Dog walkers? Banjo players?

Lovely inlay, fluted ribs, all the rest of it, maybe worth $1K if properly repaired. As a project, maybe still a tenth of the asking price.
    Last edited by mrmando; Sep-29-2013 at 9:55pm.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Since these CL ads do disappear quickly:

This 1905 Italian Mandolin from Casa Fandata is not only a classic, but has a beautiful sound. Its accordian/ribbed wood belly produces warm and true tone and sound. I had all the Mother of Pearl accents repaired and/or replaced 16 years ago and have kept it in pristine condition every since. This instrument has been valued between $6,500 and $8,000. Although Casa Fandata was not the #1 Mandolin Maker in Italy at the time it has been estimated that this was one of the top 4 Mandolin Makers in Italy at the time. I have recently had the mandolin checked out by an expert. I was told that the mandolin will need approximately $400 to $600 worth of fret face work to bring the instrument into perfect playing condition. I have played and have had professionals play the mandolin without any complaints or noticing this issue. I want to be up front and find the right buyer for this beautiful instrument as it deserves to be loved, played and its beauty shared. See for yourself, hear for yourself, play, and fall in love with this instrument.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Since these CL ads do disappear quickly:

This 1905 Italian Mandolin from Casa Fandata is not only a classic, but has a beautiful sound. Its accordian/ribbed wood belly produces warm and true tone and sound. I had all the Mother of Pearl accents repaired and/or replaced 16 years ago and have kept it in pristine condition every since. This instrument has been valued between $6,500 and $8,000. Although Casa Fandata was not the #1 Mandolin Maker in Italy at the time it has been estimated that this was one of the top 4 Mandolin Makers in Italy at the time. I have recently had the mandolin checked out by an expert. I was told that the mandolin will need approximately $400 to $600 worth of fret face work to bring the instrument into perfect playing condition. I have played and have had professionals play the mandolin without any complaints or noticing this issue. I want to be up front and find the right buyer for this beautiful instrument as it deserves to be loved, played and its beauty shared. See for yourself, hear for yourself, play, and fall in love with this instrument.
    --------
    Whoops... I quoted the ad copy earlier. Oh well...
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Minieri made some fancy mandolins. Such a pity to see these necks go south, particularly on such a pretty one.

BTW, here's Vico Cappuccinelle. Sig. M worked in a tight spot.

Mick

Name:	Minieri_Giovanni-Vico Cappuccinelle 27_2.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	295.8 KB 
ID:	107465   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Minieri_Giovanni-Vico Cappuccinelle 27_1.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	221.5 KB 
ID:	107466  
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

"Signor Casa Fandata (sic) was one of the top 4 mandolin makers in Italy at the time". Now, that made me lough.

Credible might not be as a mandolin seller, but that fellow is sure funny without even trying to be so.

Quote Originally Posted by peterk View Post
    "Signor Casa Fandata (sic) was one of the top 4 mandolin makers in Italy at the time". Now, that made me lough.

Credible might not be as a mandolin seller, but that fellow is sure funny without even trying to be so.
    Okay, well, this guy is certainly either clueless, lazy or both (the "it has been estimated...." part had me laughing. Maybe Minieri/Fondata was really the 4.25 top maker "but we're rounding down."

Anyhow, why not make the thread a bit more productive? I remember a conversation here a few years ago with an impudent-if not skillful-young Turk (of Neapolitan origin-or so he claimed) over the details of one of the extensive DeMeglio labels, the printing quality which was a bit better than Minieri/Fondata's.

Can we cry havoc and let slip the dogs of mando research? What are those numerous seals and crests that Fondata Giovanni / Casa Minieri is including on his label? Somewhere below on the left looks like hints of the House of Savoy. What about the one in the center with the three cones and the six-pointed stars with the floating crown above? Dan Brown kind of stuff. Learning to unpack these labels-could be quite interesting, besides just translating them-and locating the street addresses (my current jag.)

I know Fra' Jim can identify a bowlback at twenty paces better than I can read line 3 on an optometrist's chart. What can we collectively turn up?

BTW, let's not forget that despite the seller's silliness this was once (and maybe once again) a pretty nice mandolin. Fondata Minieri deserves some cred.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

The seals and crests could well be facsimiles of prizes that were regularly given out for exhibiting at the various Expositions and World Fairs and the like that were popular around the turn of last century. I get the idea that just about everyone who exhibited got a certificate or similar which could them be used on labels or whatever as self-promotion.

Findings street addresses in Naples is an interesting exercise. From my one day there a few years ago visiting Calace, even what looks like on a map as a main street in the old part of the city is maybe one (small European) car wide and the side streets even smaller. When we were discussing the various Vinaccia addresses a while back I googled them and they were all within a few blocks, no more than a couple of hundred yards/meters apart, sometimes just around the corner. Back to Italy next year, just have to convince herself that we need to go to Naples....

g

That was my hunch, Graham. "Everybody is a winner" type approach. I admit to being a fan of Umberto Eco and even the Dan Brown books, so I'm projecting Masonic symbolism into some of those things. Still, the underlying content of that era of heraldry, crests, medals etc. is pretty fascinating to me.

Yeah, those vicos can get pretty narrow, vicolettos even narrower. Given the proximity of those Vinaccia shop addresses, it had me wondering if folks lived upstairs of their shops or within a general family 'quarter'. Must be some old records somewhere. Chances of an old phone book or census (or Sanborn map!) being available may be Quixotic. Speaking of which, I've working towards an interactive map of these (former) luthier sites in Napoli. But the rate I work, by the time I get it together the technology will be significantly upgraded. If y'all go be sure to check out the folks at La Bottega.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

OK, I've been in touch with the seller, who says she took it to Rob Bulkley at Dusty Strings. Rumor has it that Rob has been doing some bowlback repairs. Apparently he told the seller the neck was out of alignment and quoted her $400-600 to fix it.

I'm on board with all of that. But she also said it was Rob who told her that the instrument could be worth $7500. I just don't see that happening, unless Rob knows of some secret enclave of Minieri collectors with more dollars than sense.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Martin to you know Rob? Any idea whether he's talking about a neck re-set or some kind of shimming and/or planing solution to the neck? A $400 neck re-set on an Italian bowlback would be an attractive price. If he could make a go of that with clean results, my hunch is that would attract some work. Eg. turning a $100 wall hangar--however lovely--Minieri into a very nice, playable $750 Minieri. (Move one decimal point to the left.) Might help the 'Minieri Collectors Society' grow some members.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Yes, I know Rob. I'd have to think $400 would be more like a shim/plane/refret deal than a full-on neck reset. But I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Yes, I know Rob. I'd have to think $400 would be more like a shim/plane/refret deal than a full-on neck reset. But I could be wrong.
    I've done some neck re-sets on Italian bowls, and believe me it is some fiddly work. You need to have a very nicely organized set of jigs or be an incarnation of Vishnu with 6 sets of hands. Dave Hynds has his repair system down and has quoted me some nice prices, but they might have been MC-bud adjusted. Seems like some ripe territory for a US repair person given the interest and relative affordability of nice Italian bowlbacks. It may be a lost cause, but there are a lot of sweet instruments out there (such as this Minieri) which could take on a second life. My day gig is crushing me right now or I'd be tempted to wade into this work.

Maybe Rob Bulkley is interested in going there. That would be great. I've shimmed some Italian and US made bowl fretboards and planed/routed a few necks but it is really an unsatisfying solution to a deeper design / structural / construction problem. But the construction logics make a neck reset a complicated activity. I prefer the planing solution to the shimming as it doesn't bulk up the neck profile.

The problem, as I have often seen it, is that the top gives way north of the sound hole, because the neck blocks are small, the top thin and un-reinforced. Shimming / planning / resetting the neck is Quixotic without dealing with the forces that are transferred to this weak area of the top. Martin (and others) reinforce this area north of the soundhole with thin spruce plates laminated to the underside of the top. Embergher (and others) reinforced the top with some braces to either side of the sound hole. Really important and effective structural solutions which should be part of any chiropractic neck work on bowls.

I hope Rob can get this mando up and running for a mutually beneficial price.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road