Thread: Mike Compton & Joe Newberry Live - The Interview

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default Mike Compton & Joe Newberry Live - The Interview

The Mandolin Cafe has posted the following news release:
    Mike Compton & Joe Newberry Live - The Interview

Mike Compton and Joe Newberry are releasing a new recording February 1. In celebration of its release we produced this short interview with Mike about the project entitled Mike Compton and Joe Newberry - Live.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply.
    Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

Default Re: Mike Compton & Joe Newberry Live - The Interview

I'm listening to the CD now! Great, I've been waiting for this one.

Blog Entries

A tip of the hat to Heidi. Although I don't claim to know, it certainly appears her encouragement and help are a source of inspiration to The Man.
    '20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

Ad astra per alia porci bjshear's Avatar

oh nice, that mandolin + clawhammer sounds is very fun, I could listen to that all day long.

hillbilly lion tamer Wilbur James's Avatar

I picked my copy up at the Compton, Flinner workshop in Tennessee, listen to it the whole way home, A great recording and a lot of Fun, it captures those moments in time you can only get while seeing Mike play live, Joe is also great, what a combination. I highly recommend this recording!
    Dignity, Respect and Love, for who they are, not what they are.

Blog Entries

Powerful, highly musical stuff. We need more of this kind of thing out there as an antidote to the highly processed, studio assembled, artificial sounds that dominate the airwaves these days. Real music, played by real people, on real instruments in a natural way. Can't beat it.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

7. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Blog Entries

Ha! I'm glad The Byron Bay Blues fest didn't get Mike this year because it means WE got him at the National Folk Festival instead. We'll make sure you get a bloody good reception Mike. Looking forward to seeing you in Canberra at Easter.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

I noticed this in the intro from Scott...I haven't seen anything about this recording. Has it not been released yet?

"...a brand new David Grisman Quintet in concert at Liberty Hall in Lawrence, Kansas in the late 70s..."

Not to hijack the thread! This new release from Compton and Newberry is awesome! I love Joe's clawhammer style...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by coletrickle View Post
    I noticed this in the intro from Scott...I haven't seen anything about this recording. Has it not been released yet?

"...a brand new David Grisman Quintet in concert at Liberty Hall in Lawrence, Kansas in the late 70s..."

Not to hijack the thread! This new release from Compton and Newberry is awesome! I love Joe's clawhammer style...
    Not a recording. Just one of those special moments etched in the memories of a lot of people that I know years later that were in that same hall that night, me included.

Thanks for the clarity. I wish that was an album! I'm getting this one though!

Hey! I was at that concert. If you listen carefully to Sitting on top of the World, you can pretend to hear me singing along off key in the background.

What an awesome night in a wonderful little intimate church venue. I'm glad that this was recorded for posterity & released to share with everyone. 'I know whose tears' is a lovely song with a wonderful performance, and the Sitting on top of the world has definitiely changed the way I (attempt) to play it.

And it's already available (a bit early) on Spotify.

If I may: if you want to support these great artists, buy a copy of the CD. If you want to oppose them, listen to it on Spotify (this comment to be followed by a semi-colon, dash and end parenthesis to convey the image of a human smiley-winky face).
    Last edited by flynyrdskynyrd; Jan-30-2013 at 6:06pm.

Registered User Chris "Bucket" Thomas's Avatar

Buy directly from the artists ! Don't feed the middle man-those guys work hard & deserve all of the money.
    Chris

2007 Gibson F5-L Fern
    1919 Gibson A-0
    2019 Black A4
    BlueRidge BR140
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ChristopherSThomas
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188214780

hillbilly lion tamer Wilbur James's Avatar

I agree if you can, always buy and help support the artist. It is important not only for the artist, but also so that the artist can support themselves and create more music!
    Dignity, Respect and Love, for who they are, not what they are.

Sort of like a Kitchen Tapes for the new millenium. Can hear those new spankers on that Gil. Great CD

Had a listen this morning. Fabulous.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

I've known Mike and his music for a long time, but didn't know Joe or his music. I listened to the sample on Mandolin Cafe and my jaw dropped. Immediately bought the music and downloaded it to my laptop for our community radio station. Played 4 cuts without prelistening to them and what a treat. Couldn't wait to get to my shop to listen to the whole album. I did listen to the whole album doing a refret on a guitar and never have I had a refret that was so much fun.. That album put me in a great mood for the rest of the day... Congratulations on a live that album that will stand the test of time... I love it..
    Ken Cartwright
    KMUZ Community Radio
    Salem OR
    KMUZ Community Radio
    www.kmuz.org

Blog Entries

Noting the anniversary of this interviewed published this date 2013. If that opening streaming MP3 doesn't get you going, you ain't gonna be goin'.

Blog Entries

Always enjoy noting the anniversary of this interview/wonderful musical project.