Thread: Radiotone Double Chamber Mandolin

Default Radiotone Double Chamber Mandolin

Do any members have any experience with the brand Radiotone?

There is a double chambered mandolin for sale on ebay, which they say was made in 1930. It looks to be well constructed going by the images.
    1956 Levin Palermo 'A' style
    2010 The Loar LM-600
    Eastwood electric mandolin
    Loads of guitars gathering dust

Default Re: Radiotone Double Chamber Mandolin

2006 thread on Radiotone.

In the US, Regal made instruments under the "Radio Tone" label; apparently the two words were separated. In Europe, there were a variety of (generally) inexpensive instruments, attributed to Germany, and sold in the UK labeled "Radiotone" (one word). Pete Townsend's first guitar was an arch-top Radiotone.

Recently, National Resophonics in CA has issued a "Radiotone" model of resonator guitar.

There are other Cafe discussions, including this one on a Radiotone double-top mandolin, accessible by search.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

This it the only reference to a double top in either of those threads:

Quote Originally Posted by scheftler View Post
    Radiotone was one many brands of significant distributor J.E.Dallas and sons in UK. These double top mandolins were made in Schonbach (now Luby) in Czechoslovakia in the late 30s and were dedicated to british market. It is carved spruce and maple (not laminated!), ebony fingerboard, MOP inlays, adjustable ebony bridge. Special "kind of virzi" - second top - is a thin flat spruce gripped on both chocks onside the body.
    More detailed thread on a european site

I can't seem to find the eBay listing (prob in Germany?) -- perhaps the OP can post the link? However I did find this page with a pictured 1930 double top mandolin. Attached are the pics.

Also, a lame Google translation:

For some productions a mandolin is as sound color and that a good tip. Not only for the usual folk sounds

About the Radiotone I hardly find anything on the internet, so here are some facts:
    The little one. The usual scale of 33 cm and a total length of 64 cm The Zrgenhöhe is 6 cm.
    The woods are classic: maple for the back and sides and spruce for the top. The neck is painted, so I can not say what kind of wood was made. The fingerboard is made of ebony. The remaining materials are mitter while probably all on the index: ivory knobs for the mechanics, real tortoise shell pickguard and mother of pearl for the deposits, which are all beautifully worked. Crocodile leather for bags.
    I have different information on the manufacturer's site: Some say the U.S., the other Czech Republic.

What makes this mandolin is the Double Top, two blankets! As can be clearly seen in the picture above is in about half the depth nor used a blanket. I've never seen in any other instrument.
    I know only one called Soundbox certain Maccaferri guitars.

"The first mass of Selmer Django guitars recorded for that time on trendsetting details, such as self-contained, self-lubricating mechanisms, cutaway and in most cases, an internal 'Soundbox." It was a case within the body, with opening to the sound hole, the floor was made of spruce. Anchored was this internal sound chamber at four points of Zargenkranzes, and below the scarf hole there was a kind of shield that would distract the vibrations from the bottom of the body. goal was the best possible balance of to get sound. "

I once had a Selmer D-Hole copy in hand, which had a sound box. But for that I can not say much because the guitar sounded not very good.

After I had been in the studio the merkwüdigsten mandolin in hand, I decided to finally time have such a part in the collection, but a great sounding instrument!
    Eventually, I once had an experienced colleague said that the A style mandolins for recording better suited his. I have no idea if that's really true, but the Radiotone has exactly the sound that I expect from a good mandolin. The percussive attack and beautiful pearly, smooth highs The old timbers are giving it another fine production.
    You really have to ask you a microphone in front of the instrument and it sounds very good!

A nice detail in Radiotone also is the cover for the device where the strings are attached. The part can be folded up, to hang from the strings and fold again and then the damped strings behind the bridge. Very nice for shots!

And I agree, of course, in the mandolin guitar tuning, simply because I'm too lazy. So instead of GDAE I agree in DGH E. The problem is the very high Saitenzu would occur if the mandolin strings as biases. That worked even, at least for a while, when I still had no new strings. The two lower strings I had relaxed again, if I had not used the mandolin. But that is certainly not good for the instrument and play it is not because of the high voltage well.
    So I'm glad that when I string producers of my confidence got a custom set of strings can wrap and calculate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	radio1.jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	97549   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	radio2.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	97550   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	radio3.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	97551  

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Ah! I did find it on ebay.co.uk. It was over today. Radiotone Double Chamber Mandolin
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Has anyone ever had their hands on one of these? I’ve spotted one locally and, from the photographs available, it looks as though it’s in dire need of a neck re-set. In fact it looks so bad, i suspect that the neck might be a bolt-on of some sort. Any ideas before I spend time thinking about it? (Not that I need another mandolin!)

Blog Entries

No never seen one I don't believe but neck sets sure aint cheap! If you can get a squealing deal it may be worth it?

Ray (T)

I nearly bought one recently on ebay- a good instrument. I think I have seen that one you mention on the internet- Gumtree. This mandolin type has been discussed at this site. I did find one being played- an audio on YT but I cannot locate it. Alternatively take a look at this one:

https://schoenbach.webnode.cz/photog.../#dsc-7216-jpg

Here is that audio on YT-great sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCjN1UTY1DA
    Last edited by NickR; Aug-16-2019 at 2:19pm.

8. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Cask Ale

The mandolin on ebay, I bid on it twice- it was sold firstly and then it was re-listed with what was wrong with it- presumably, the reasons given for its return. Both times I was sniped. It did not have its bridge or pickguard and had a crack in it. Whoever won it the second time around has fixed the crack and a problem with the heel- added the guard and a non-adjustable bridge- and glossed up the case and added electrics. That does not mean it is not a good mandolin but it is not original. If you search for Radiotone Mandolin on ebay and then check the sold box, you will see the other example that I was also sniped on- all original and very nice all round. I don't think I am meant to have one of these mandolins!Mind you, my new Chinese mandolin- sold under the brand of Feeling has roared to the top of my fave raves!

Not only don’t I need another mandolin, I don’t need a repair job sitting around so, unless anyone has anything to add, I’ll probably give it a miss; thanks.

I doubt it’s the one from Gumtree Nick. This one’s for sale by auction in the UK with no estimate. Other than the neck issue it looks OK. Given that it’s still strung up and there’s a couple of picks still in the strings it looks as if somebody might have knocked it over or sat on it with dire consequences. If it goes for nothing, which would be unuusal in thse parts, it might be worth it for the case.

Over to whoever may be interested - https://www.bamfords-auctions.co.uk/...view-lot/5018/

That is not the one that was on Gumtree. Yes, it looks as though something untoward has befallen the mandolin- a great shame.

So, I bought the Radiotone mandolin in the Bamfords auction. Got it for £88. Here is a close-up of the damage to the neck joint:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t149b.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	283.0 KB 
ID:	179131
    It does not look like the result of being sat on - if it was I would expect to see considerable damage to the body round the neck joint. With the instrument in hand it is clear that this is a two-piece heel which at some point in the past has come apart and been clumsily re-glued by some well-meaning handyman. Now the whole joint has come apart, probably from the mandolin being stored in hot and/or damp conditions. I haven't carefully examined the joint yet, but it looks like a simple mortise and tenon joint, not dovetailed. I reckon it should come apart very easily and be a simple fix.

This is the first time I have seen one of these and I have to say I am very impressed with the quality of the woods used, the appointments and the build itself. It is easily the best-quality European mandolin I have ever seen.

I will post more photos as I progress and a sound sample when it's finished. In the meantime, if anyone wants to know anything about it, please do ask.
    Mandolins: Bandolim by Antonio Pereira Cabral
    German flatback mandola by unknown maker converted from a descant Waldzither

13. The following members say thank you to tonydxn for this post:

I can honestly say I've never seen a repair like that one before.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

That's great Tony. I am sure you can fix it up and it will be a great instrument. One of those on ebay I saw appeared to have a very similar problem- it is the one that is on ebay right now.

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

The double soundboard mandolin model was the Radiotone 855r and pretty much the top of the range. They were mostly built for the British market by a co-operative of stringed instrument builders in Schonbach and imported to the UK by JE Dallas and Co.

Schonbach (now Luby) in the western Czech Republic was a major violin making centre from the 18th century or so and the original home of Hofner and Framus until they moved west in 1946 or so. Schonbach is only 6 miles across the Czech border from Markneukirchen in eastern Germany, which was a another major centre of musical instrument production (and the original home of CF Martin).

Violins were the main product of Schonbach, so it is not very surprising that they used good wood and the violin style mortice neck joint was the usual way of attaching the necks. The glue joint for the block which made up the lower part of the heel was always a weak point and there are many Hofner mandolins and some guitars which have needed that repaired. There is some more info on Schonbach/Luby in The Mandolin- a history.

Cheers

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graham McDonald For This Useful Post:

Congratulations Tony. Glad someone bought it who’s likely to fix it up and play it. At least it looks like a reasonably straight forward fix. I expected it to have a dovetail and to see far more damage.

Mentioning no names, there is a luthier friend of mine, now retired, but not a million miles from Derby who simply glued his guitar necks straight on to the neck block - no dovetail, mortice/tennon etc. He reckoned that the right glue was stronger than wood and I’ve never actually heard of one of his instruments failing in that respect

All done. Here are some photos:

Name:	DSCN9480.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	378.4 KB 
ID:	179839Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9543.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	200.3 KB 
ID:	179840Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9519.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	397.1 KB 
ID:	179841Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9521.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	179842Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9525.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	335.3 KB 
ID:	179843Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9533.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	179844Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9535.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	209.5 KB 
ID:	179845Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9541.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	360.3 KB 
ID:	179846

General comments: I don't like the violin-style neck joint - not strong enough for a mandolin. But at least it's simple and easy to fix if it does go. I like the MoP heel cap, but I don't think that's original - it was covering a hole where someone had inserted a long screw to mend the broken heel block (never works, that). Nice bearclaw on the soundboard. Nice flamed maple on the back and sides. Good quality tuners with classy engraving. I like the sculpted pickguard bracket. I don't like the flimsy bridge saddle.

This is a big fat mandolin, bigger than a Gibson oval-hole I think. I like the way it feels when I play it, but the sound is disappointing. Nothing special at all. Heavier strings might help it, but with that neck joint, I don't dare. (String gauges I used: 9/12/22/35)

Note on the value of these: one sold near me through some kind of Craig's List type site for £60 (July 2019). In June 2019 one sold on eBay for £591 (and yes, it did sell at that - not just the asking price). I think the seller was extremely lucky. I certainly wouldn't pay that for one of these.

I will post a sound sample when I've learnt to play a tune on it.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tonydxn For This Useful Post:

I've handled a couple and whilst they looked attractive, that's where it ended for me. Very poor sound and more of a novelty. I know someone who has one and it also needs a repair. The double top makes a talking point but I don't really rate it at all. They never seemed to do simple things like correct intonation bridge and that always annoys me. Like a lot of the German Hofner, Hoyer mandolins etc. No thought about tone or such. Strings sitting on a pinacle of bridge saddle gives a very thin sound.

Woods etc look good but after the initial pleasure of holding such a thing when it comes down to playing it, non starter for me.

I'm glad you have put it back together- if nothing else, you have an instrument you can sell for a handsome profit. With regard to the tone, it begs the question whether a good bone bridge- or an ebony bridge from wood with no adjustment might improve the sound somewhat. I notice that the mandolin like yours at the Schonbach Guitar Gallery has no grooves in its bridge saddle. Likewise, it has the original heel- no inlay/heel cap.

23. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

I was too hasty in my initial judgement of the sound. A mandolin that hasn't been played (or even tuned up) for years often takes a while to 'wake up'. After a few days under working tension, it does sound much better. It's still a quiet mandolin though. It would be a nice instrument to keep at home and play privately, but for playing with other instruments or in a public situation, it doesn't come up to the mark. Sound sample here:
    https://youtu.be/kQy7K7KVzvo

Reluctantly, I have to agree with Jimmy Powells' assessment. Good suggestion from NickR - maybe I'll experiment a bit with the bridge.

Note on the strutting inside - it has one strut which runs laterally, but not all the way across. It lies south of the bridge, so the bridge is sitting on the soundboard between the strut and the soundhole. Doesn't seem like a very sensible arrangement. Might sound better re-configured as a mandola with the bridge in the middle of the soundboard (I'm not going to do it though!)

I bought a Tone Rite for mandolin a month or so ago. The seller sold it as the guitar version but I agreed to test it on a guitar and it seemed to work- so I kept it. I have a hand carved hand made mandolin crafted by arguably Britain's best maker of archtops- his last mandolin made in 1982. It has always been muted and I have felt it could be louder- although I recognise that f hole mandolins are quieter than oval hole instruments. It got nine days of the Tone Rite at full power and it was unquestionably a lot louder than before its treatment session! I think it is more than likely that your Radiotone is waking up having been dormant for quite a while, I would imagine.

26. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

So I made two new saddles for it - one from ebony and one from bone. The ebony one, although chunkier than the original, only made a little difference. The bone one made a lot of difference - better sound and volume and made the mandolin much more pleasurable to play. I strongly recommend anyone who has one of these to have a bone bridge saddle made for it.

Name:	DSCN9584.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	180500
    One last photo of the Radiotone beside a Gibson (my next project) for size comparison. The Radiotone is much deeper in the body too:

Name:	DSCN9613.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	191.0 KB 
ID:	180501