Thread: Gruhn update 23 A4

Default Gruhn update 23 A4

After reading the thread on the ’22 A4, I decided to venture down to Gruhn’s and check out the ’23 A4. Jeff, congratulations on your new purchase of the ’22. I am curious if you we able to play the ’22 and ’23 side by side. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Anyway, the ’23 (MF 8153) is also an incredible mandolin, indeed the best oval hole I have ever played. The trebles were clean with a nice midrange and bass that was not overpowering. I asked to see the best sounding F4 on the wall to compare tonal qualities. The selection was the ’22 truss rod F4 which is also an incredible mandolin. The best F4 in the house did not have the tone of the A4!! If you are indeed looking for a great vintage Gibson A – buy this one!!

I did spend some time upstairs with the ’24 Virzi Loar. Great mandolin, for some reason just didn’t take my breath. One must remember the acoustic differences between the two rooms when making decisions about tones. I guess I was still hung up on the A4 downstairs not to fully appreciate the Loar.

BTW, the 1935 herringbone is literally a cannon. Buy this one also if you are looking for a herringbone.

Michael

Default Re: Gruhn update 23 A4

Hey Michael! I didn't get the chance to compare the '22 and '23, but Billy at Gruhn sings high praise for both. Someone will be very fortunate to pick that one up, I agree.

From your description I can tell you the '22 is very close to the '23. Very even across the board. A lot of others have played this mandolin and I agree with them, as well. It has a completely open tone. Defined highs and mids and a good solid bass. The bass doesn't have any tub, which I'm kind of mystified by because I've never played an A model that didn't have some tub going. Mind you, I don't necessarily consider that quality a bad thing. Certain celtic and folk tunes lend themselves to that sound, to my ears. Often though, the G can overpower the rest of the strings. That doesn't happen here. How did Loar and his crew do this? I scratch my head.

What is really interesting is that when you push it a bit, you can get a little bark out out of the mids. True, it's not a bluegrass killer, but it is the loudest, smoothest oval I have personally heard or played. Huge sound, really.

Of course, others may play it and think, meh. I don't kid myself on that score. Works for me, though, and that's what we're all working towards.

Anyways, thanks for the congrats, I really appreciate it. Wish you hadn't mentioned that '35 herringbone! LOL

Thanks for the description of the '23 Michael. I kind of figured it would sound like the '22 that jaimo is now the proud owner of.

Yes the two rooms are very different tonally. The main room downstairs is very live almost like the notes are being played back at you by all the fine instruments on the wall.

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

Yes the two rooms are very different tonally. The main room downstairs is very live almost like the notes are being played back at you by all the fine instruments on the wall.

Yes!!! I had that happen one time when I went to First Quality (10 years ago or so)....they had a wall of mandolins and I was sitting facing the wall and it became an sureal experience.....the "reverb" was just very loud.....it made the Master Model I was playing sound like a chorus....