Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many of you knew or knew of Don Brown?

Default Re: How many of you knew or knew of Don Brown?

Sort of off topic, but I spent a little time with Frank Ray this past weekend and played on his Loar. He shared stories about it and about Don Brown. It's a wonderful sounding instrument. Of the few Loar's I've played, it's the best. Frank said he thought it was the best he's played and said he had owned several through the years. Fine, fine instrument. Frank is a great guy too!
    Nick Alberty

Phillipians 4:13

2001 Gibson Flatiron Festival
    2002 Gibson Fern (signed by Roberts)

2. The following members say thank you to NickAlberty for this post:

Hello. I am Don Brown's grandson and I'd like to hear more about him. What other memories do you ave about him? Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Hello. I am Don Brown's grandson and I'd like to hear more about him and his life. What other memories do you ave about him? Thanks for the help!

Hello everyone. I am Don Brown's grandson and I'd like to hear more about him. What other memories do you have about him, his music and his life? Do you have any pictures? Thanks!

I didn't know him personally, but his music was some of the first bluegrass I got hold of, and I listened to it a lot, with Bobby(?) Puckett on the fiddle. His band was also one of the first live bluegrass bands I saw, and listened to jamming. His music was very inspirational to me, and I still can hear them doing Tall Pines. I'm sure there are folks here that know a lot more about him, and knew him personally, but I just wanted to let you know that he was also an inspiration to those who didn't know him. Nice to have a granddad that people looked up to.

Spencer

Welcome to the Cafe, Dan. This was a good thread, and I've really come to appreciate both your grandfather's recordings and the songwriting of Damon Black (Tall Pines, Dirt That You Throw) over the past few years. Best of luck in your search for more info on a fine musician.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Blog Entries

I used to pick with Ray Gore (Don's guitar player and tenor singer), and he would tell some good stories on Don and the Trio. After Don passed away, Jerry Rosa started a memorial festival at his farm close to Dixon MO. They would have a Don Brown Reunion band and I was fortunate enough to play with all the old Ozark Mountain Trio members. What a blast. Also, I lived 30 miles from Frank growing up, and I would go over and pick with him and the Don Mandolin. It's a great Loar for sure. Feb. 18, 1924. Don had a custom 1 of 2 Gibson custom from, I believe, 1970. He bought it at Bean Blossom from the VP of Gibson at the time. That's the one with the beautiful back that was mentioned precious in the thread. It was maple from a sunken log and they had made two "log" mandolins out of it. I can't remember the lake it was sunk in off hand though. It's good that people are talking of Don and his music. He is considered "The Father of Missouri Bluegrass." A true inspiration to my music and mandolin playing. Ray Gore is the only surviving member of the "Original" Ozark Mountain Trio that did all those wonderful LPs... Live at The Ethical Society, Tall Pines, and countless 45s. Also, The Dirt That You Throw was actually written by Damon Black (Haven't Seen Mary in Years), but Don's is the first recording of it, that I know of.

8. The following members say thank you to MonFlavor for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MonFlavor View Post
    Don had a custom 1 of 2 Gibson custom from, I believe, 1970. He bought it at Bean Blossom from the VP of Gibson at the time. That's the one with the beautiful back that was mentioned precious in the thread. It was maple from a sunken log and they had made two "log" mandolins out of it. I can't remember the lake it was sunk in off hand though.
    Now things are beginning to make sense to me. Thanks for the info.

Spencer

Blog Entries

The Don Brown Loar is a very good one! Well worn and played in "makes me want one!" I got to play a bit on it at the recent Loar fest as the new owner brought it but I will not mention who owns it as I'm sure he'll mention it in due time.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

He mentioned it in the mandolins & beer podcast this week! Worth a listen for sure
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

I worked with Don Brown and his sons Denny and Don Jr. for many years. I was put on the same team with Don Sr. at the Wentzville GM plant. I liked Bluegrass before I met Don and had bought a mandolin and banjo, but didn't known what to do with them because I didn't know anyone who played those instruments. At the time I began working with Don I was listening to hard rock, and Don would walk by my work station and say, "Joe, why do you listen to that S--t for." It didn't take long for him to rekindle my interest in Bluegrass and we became friends, I rode with him to several shows and he taught me a little about playing the mandolin. I got to play his Loar a couple of times, the first time it was in need of a set up and wasn't that impressive, a couple of years later he came to a jam at my house and let me play it, after it had been set up properly. Instantly I knew what all the excitement about Lloyd Loar Mandolins was about. Holy cow! It was well worn, but the sound, just wow! He told me once that his wife wanted him to sell the Loar because it had gotten so valuable, and I asked him why he didn't, he said there was nothing he could buy with that money that he would rather have than his mandolin. A few years after Don retired a mutual friend and co-worker came to let me know that Don had died. I cried. Don kind of filled the role of "father figure" for me after my Dad died. He was not only a great mandolinist, but a really good guy. I'm very glad I knew him and still miss him. I am in contact with Dennis on Facebook, but haven't seen any of them for a long time as we are all now retired from GM. Dan Brown Jr. I met your Dad on several occasions, but didn't know him very well.

13. The following members say thank you to Joe Mendel for this post:

Blog Entries

Raises hand.

Saw them live when they were still active. Been awhile. Great Missouri band, part of the early tradition of that part of the country.

I would think the new owner of Don's mandolin is not a very well kept secret, if in fact it's even supposed to be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Raises hand.

Saw them live when they were still active. Been awhile. Great Missouri band, part of the early tradition of that part of the country.

I would think the new owner of Don's mandolin is not a very well kept secret, if in fact it's even supposed to be one.
    The new owner actually discusses it this week on the podcast! He’s a great guy and really shows his respect for that area of music and how it has influenced him!

Blog Entries

That's right. I actually listened to the podcast, or, maybe I didn't listen well enough!

We are likely going to have a feature on Po' Ramblin' Boys in a few days, and hopefully it'll coincide with them winning a Grammy.

17. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

I didn't realize this was an old thread on which I already posted. As least my story about Don is consistent. DOH!

Wouldn’t that be cool?!!