Thread: Loar LM-520-VS

Default Loar LM-520-VS

I've spent the past couple hours (how time flies), reading threads regarding purchasing a first mandolin, and it isn't my intention to start another similar thread.

What are your opinions on the Loar LM-520-VS? I've read several things saying that they are good instruments, but this one is interesting. They state that it is very similar to the 600, just without the decorative features. Would this be a good mandolin to pursue? I would like to stick with the f style, as I like the design.

Any thoughts on this model would be appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: Loar LM-520-VS

I have been playing a 520 for the past 9 months, and loved it! It broke in VERY nicely, deep throaty sound, with bright highs. Played well. While the fit and finish might not be in the league of a Gibson (nor is the price) I truely believe it would be difficult to find a better mandolin in the $500 range. I played mine professionally in an old time band and had NO intention of replacing it, but when a trade presented itself for a Bulldog I sold the 520. I am a firm believer that instruments need to be played, and I am playing the Bulldog now. Mailed the 520 out today.
    Bulldog #24

Hi Justin, its a great first mando just be sure to purchase from a dealer that performs a quality setup.

Thanks guys, the advice was very helpful. Still have a little bit of saving to do, but determined to buy something that will not make learning to play any more difficult that it already is.