Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Wiens Loar?

Default Re: Wiens Loar?

Quote Originally Posted by shortymack View Post
    No matter what, if Gibson didnt make it, it shouldnt say Gibson on it anywhere IMO.
    There ya go.

I cannot believe this thread has 125 posts when posts with very good questions get just a few.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Adrihan For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

It's a complicated issue. As you read above, many now top builders have made full Gibson copies. The times have changed some and folks have definite opinions on the matter.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

4. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Adrihan View Post
    There ya go.

I cannot believe this thread has 125 posts when posts with very good questions get just a few.
    It seems to happen whenever the "G" word is used.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

Like it or not Gibson has been and continues to be the leader in mandolins. While some Asian companies have surpassed them in number of mandolins made (especially since the flood) Gibson continues to lead the way. When out in a public gathering of mandolins (usually in the bluegrass music genre) you will see more Gibsons than any other brand.

It ain't what you take, it's what you ...
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

The real deal...

http://www.givson.com/products5.htm

Made with.... "Toon Ply Wood". None of that Red Spruce and maple nonsense.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

I remember Givson. In Gibson history he was Orville's cousin in law Herman Hymick working at the factory as a luthier/record keeper until age 30 when he divorced the Gibson cousin in 1917. Asked to resign on friendly terms he wanted to go out on his own but was forced to sign a non-compete clause and not to use the "gibson" trademark or logo. So the Givson Co. is still going strong today. I did not know that!

I want that "G.B. 10 Synthetic Banjo/Acoustic Mandolin!" Apparently it has "8 String" but only five pegs.

By the way, there is a wood called "toon." Here's what Hawaii Island Hardwoods says about it:

Toon was introduced in 1918 for plantation use. It grows to 50 feet tall and reaches over two feet in diameter. The wood is very lightweight (specific gravity .35), and is reddish brown. The tree is also called “Australian red cedar”, because of the strong aromatic cedar scent of the wood. It carves and turns particularly well. There are several stands in Hawai‘i forest plantations.

And Givson is a musical instrument company based in India, that's done a pretty good job of imitating the "Gibson" logo, and putting it on a variety of South Asian weirdnesses. In a triumph of chutzpah, the Givson website warns, "Beware of Imitation"!
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I like this logo betterClick image for larger version. 

Name:	new mando5.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	97654Click image for larger version. 

ID:	97654

LOL. And now, here come 100 posts about flowerpots.

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by danb View Post
    I think this mandolin is Wiens #33
    The Folkwaymusic site represents the instrument as a 2009 mandolin. Your site would make No. 33 a 2011 instrument. I wouldn´t have any problem with the discussed mandolin being No. 33, I would just like to straighten some possible misunderstanding out.

And, for whoever owned it or has/had it in posession, I would like to hear a soundclip or have the sound and playability reported.

And if money were not an issue, I would probably go and buy either this mandolin (or the early Monte Loar copy, or the Sargent loar copy, or a couple of the Paganonies that were on the Classifieds some time back). But that would just be out of curiosity, cause mandolinwise I´m good.
    Olaf

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew B. Carlson View Post
    What if there is an independent luthier with the last name of Gibson? And he's got the chops to create a Wiens level Loar replica? Does he have to inlay "A Gibson" into the headstock?
    Probably. If someone copyrights your last name before you do it's no longer yours for commercial purposes. Could Cecil Ford start building cars an badge them "Ford"? edited later -- sorry I missed post #125!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Blog Entries

There ya go.

very good questions as defined by...?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    I remember Givson. In Gibson history he was Orville's cousin in law Herman Hymick working at the factory as a luthier/record keeper until age 30 when he divorced the Gibson cousin in 1917. Asked to resign on friendly terms he wanted to go out on his own but was forced to sign a non-compete clause and not to use the "gibson" trademark or logo. So the Givson Co. is still going strong today. I did not know that!
    You sure look a lot younger than that! Did you know Orville too then?
    Bernie
    ____

Quote Originally Posted by pumpdogg View Post
    I like this logo betterClick image for larger version. 

ID:	97654Click image for larger version. 

ID:	97654
    man, that is some CLEAN work... impressive!

No I didn't know Mr. Hymick the long term President of Givson but I remember getting catalogs of the Givson Co. in the 70's. I traced back the history in the Gibson archives. At one time theu was really "puttin' them out" surpassing the Gibson Co. production by 10,000 units per year. I think Mr. Hymick wanted to see a real "Givson" in every home or at least in every Pawn Shop.

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

There ya go.

If one is honest with one's self 90% of the posts in the forum cover a topic that has been beat to death many times before....you just don't search for it or you don't have the best search terms to find it....

This thread has it all.....patent and copy right issues.......a luthier who is brilliant yet appears flawed in the past.....the name Loar and the mystique of the name......hell it even challenges the use of Gibson of their own creations from the past. Sheeesh there is nothing that this forum won't take on....(well almost...Scott has to maintain some form of decorum)...

Reading this thread is better than watching Jerry Springer!!!....there are a few nuggets of knowledge to be discovered.....heck I now know about Herman Hymick......what a piece of knowledge!

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gary Hedrick For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Great discussion. Fabulous website. Wonderful job.
    Last edited by Mike Romkey; Jan-30-2013 at 10:17pm.
    '20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    No I didn't know Mr. Hymick the long term President of Givson but I remember getting catalogs of the Givson Co. in the 70's. I traced back the history in the Gibson archives. At one time theu was really "puttin' them out" surpassing the Gibson Co. production by 10,000 units per year. I think Mr. Hymick wanted to see a real "Givson" in every home or at least in every Pawn Shop.
    The whole story is amazing. I had heard references to "Givson" several times before in reference to copying a headstock and always thought it was a joke. I'll have to read up on Herr Herman Hymick I believe.
    Bernie
    ____

Has anyone played this instrument yet?
    PJ Doland
    1923 Gibson Snakehead A

If it's anything like his other Loar clones(with Wiens logos), it's a very special mandolin. I took delivery of my Wiens about 2 weeks ago and have been in a state of mandolin delerium ever since. I had the chance to play 2 or 3 other completed mandos when I went to pick mine up and was totally blown away by every one of 'em. Definately one of the best builders of our time. I would buy that mando in an instant if I had the loot!

It is the ultimate F5 Loar copy for a very reasonable price. I've seen lots and I mean lots of fake Loars and this one has to be my all time favorite for getting it 95% correct. You will not be disapointed with how it plays and sounds. It is much more Loar like than Gibson's recent MM and DMM models that are only 85% correct.

26. The following members say thank you to f5loar for this post:

I am amazed at the amount of time and justification we have put into this subject . IMHO, any maker branding an instrument as a Gibson or any other name - Fender - is fraudulent. By the same token should I begin producing quality mandolins and elect to inlay the Weins name, I would consider myself a fraud also. Do we think Weins, Nugget, Gilchrest or Dudenbostel would have concerns should I make a few batches of each as a tribute??

Michael

hillbilly lion tamer Wilbur James's Avatar

If someone were to purchase, this instrument, would they be subject to the scrutiny? Better yet if the buyer tries to sell it down the line would it be harder to sell because of the scrutiny? I have always heard good things about Wiens mandolins, just mixed emotions about the man himself. Bottom line it is still a Wiens mandolin.
    Dignity, Respect and Love, for who they are, not what they are.

this one should only be bought as a keeper and not an investment for resale in short term. If it is the mandolin you have been searching for than don't consider it for a resale. Keep until you die and let your heirs worry about selling it at a gain or a loss. I would not let the name weigh in on this one since it does not have the Wiens name at the top. Do you tell people you bought it? Probably not. Just let the mandolin speak for itself. You could remove the fake labels if that is a moral issue.