Thread: newbie, emandos

Searching for the Sound

Default newbie, emandos

Based on the fender emando thread....

Ok, I'm a newbie (playing for 5 months, coming along) who's learning to play so I can get musical with my nephews. An electric mando would be great, and I'm keeping an eye on eBay for Epiphone mandobird IV and VIIIs. The question: how different is playing a 4 string vs an 8 string? And, assuming the fender will sell for less than MSRP, should I just spend bucks on a new fender or consider a used mandobird?

This mando thing is sooooooo complicated.

PS I have an acoustic amp for my acoustic-electric mando ... would I need an "electric" amp for a mandobird/fender/ etc?

thanks

Default Re: newbie, emandos

Probably not.. Desire for a Tube Sound not Withstanding
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

mtm, I just bought a Eastwood Mandocaster. I've had it 3 days now. I am quite happy with it. I bought it direct from Micheal at Eastwood guitars. He set it up for me and got me a gig bag to fit. The set up was good. The intonation and action was right where it needs to be. This is an 8 string. I read about intonation issues and too light of a gauge of strings. This one has an adjustment for each string set, and the strings seem like a standard Mandolin light gauge. (ball end strings of course) It's a very playable instrument. Fit and finish is much better then I thought possible on a sub 400 dollar instrument. I have no problem recommending this as a first emando. Plus there are lot's of aftermarket upgrades if you want to "hot rod it"
    To play or not to play? Well that's a silly question.

2009 J.Bovier F5 Dorado
    2012 Eastwood Mandocaster
    2013 J.Bovier A5 (prototype)
    1984 K.Yairi AR352
    1980 Ovation Custom Ballader
    2012 Martin HD28

Searching for the Sound

Hey Jake... thanks for the reply ... I've considered that one. Have you played a 4 string? Also, what amp are you using? Acoustic or electric?

I've never tried a 4 string. I have a J.Bovier F5 Dorodo that I normally play. I love acoustic instruments! I have a K&K twin pickup in it, and I have used it a few times on stage, playing Bluegrass. The unfortunate thing is that as with most mando you seem to spend more time tuning then you do playing. I also play in a duo that does Country and old Rock. The JB would work fine for that, but alot of venues don't have stages. All I would need is to have some drunk doing the jive to lose control of his wife and have my mando come crashing of it's stand! (makes me cry thinking about it)

I do use an acoustic amp. I have a Peavy Ecoustic E208 (2 8" speakers. 30 watts) and I run it through my ipad. Using garage band as an amp emulator, and effects board. I have used it straight through the amp, adding Chorus and reverb to it. Works very well that way too.

I will also mention that one of my deciding factors on the mandocaster was that I can email, or call Micheal at Eastwood Guitars and talk to him direct about his instruments. This was the same reason I chose the J.Bovier. It's nice to talk to someone direct, that cares about their products. I think it helps me connect with the instrument more, being able to talk to the person responsible for the design and build of the instrument. Almost like dealing with a luthier doing a custom build. Almost. This might sound crazy?
    Last edited by jake-mando; Jan-17-2013 at 3:40pm.
    To play or not to play? Well that's a silly question.

2009 J.Bovier F5 Dorado
    2012 Eastwood Mandocaster
    2013 J.Bovier A5 (prototype)
    1984 K.Yairi AR352
    1980 Ovation Custom Ballader
    2012 Martin HD28

Searching for the Sound

thanks ... I don't play well enough (yet, I hope) to justify a quality instrument ... even the eastwood is a bit out of range at this point, but something to play 'electric' with the nephews is the goal ...

you run out of the iPad into your amp? Hmmmm ... hadn't thought of that ...