Thread: Opinions on putting nylon strings on A style?

Default Opinions on putting nylon strings on A style?

I have a Kentucky KM-150 A style with the D'addario phosphor bronze wound strings, i wanna say the J-74? I've been curious about putting nylon strings on it. Has anyone else tried this? I was imagining only changing the A and E strings to nylon as the G and D would be too thick to use double strings and would rattle off each other.

Are there any simple ways to change the tone/sound basically? Maybe some suggestions on different style strings to use on an acoustic.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Default Re: Opinions on putting nylon strings on A style?

what sound/tone are you trying to achieve?

You know that's kinda where I'm stuck, I've just had my same set up for almost a year. It's not that I'm bored with it I just want to explore and when I play now it's like my ear is always searching for a different sound as a whole.
    If I had to be specific I'd say more, blues sound.

To my way of thinking, blues is a musical style, not a sound to emulate with a nylon strung mandolin. However, many folks have successfully played the blues on mandolin, just not one strung with nylon strings afaik. I say go for it and experiment with the nylon strings but expect your mandolin to be much quieter with no sustain whatsoever due to much lower string tension. Tuning will be an issue as well as it takes quite while for the strings to stretch out and settle in. Let us know how you like your new sound.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

It seems to me this would begin to sound close to a Ukulele - small body/nylon strings.
    sapiens populus eo per camelus
    http://www.allsingtogether.com/

Quote Originally Posted by nrand View Post
    It seems to me this would begin to sound close to a Ukulele - small body/nylon strings.
    A uke tuned "fleas my dog has".

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Blog Entries

You might need a new nut. I would think the nylon strings might rattle in the lower frets if nice low action on metal strings.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

I agree with you on the blues aspect, I realize the irony in saying I'm trying to get a blues sound on a bluegrass instrument ha. that was the best I could describe what I'm trying to get. It's like i'm looking for a sound I've heard but won't know til I hear it again.

Yea I don't want it to start leaning towards a Uke sound, definitely why I'm inquiring before just stringing it up with some.

I guess I just need to grab some new and different strings and start experimenting! Do you guys hear any huge differences between the phosphor strings and the flat top strings. Just out of curiosity. I'll eventually go through all different types and find my sound.

thanks for the opinions.

My wife got me the M-style of the two prototype nylon string mandolins made by the Boat Paddle Ukelele people. It doesn't sound like a Uke. Just quieter, bass heavy, folk sounding mandolin. Cafe member delray48209 bought the other style. Posted here about them.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...90#post1115690

Quote Originally Posted by kingebeneezer View Post
    You know that's kinda where I'm stuck, I've just had my same set up for almost a year.
    I think that it your first problem. Strings go dead over time and a year is prob more thasn enough time for them to sound tired and even not hold tune.

Try changing your strings to a new set of J-74s to start and see how that sounds. You can try nylon strings (Aquilas would be good) but I am not sure that they would be enough to really drive the top of your mandolin. Does the Km-150 have a laminated top?

If you really don't like the J-74 strings, maybe try a stainless steel set like JS-74 or Gibson Sam Bush strings which are monel alloy and prob have a brighter sound.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    ...Does the Km-150 have a laminated top?...
    All solid wood, pressed top, from the specs.

Not necessarily a "bluegrass instrument"; that really depends on how you play it. I'd try some flat-wounds, maybe cut down on the brightness.

A pressed-arch-top f-hole mandolin might be pretty hard to "drive" with lower-tension nylon strings.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

The neck/fingerboard is too narrow for more than 4 strings.. ..
    I agree ... new strings, if you feel medium is to hard to play,
    re string with a thinner string set.

like getting J73 instead of the J74, mentioned earlier.

.010, - .038" vs, .011, - .040"

[ I use tghe GHS set of 10-38 strings on my old Gibson A, with an aluminum bridge,
    it has a Bluesy sound if play a bluesy Melody on it.

as for the Nylon strings, restringing a Gold Tone soprano Banjo Uke
    with 4 Aquila (GDAE), strings, would be better.

at least you could hear them ring..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Destroyer of Mandolins

When I think of nylon on a mandolin, it's early music that comes to mind. You know, Renaissance, Medieval, that stuff. You might want to sniff around the archives in the Classical Section. I remember a lot of discussions about nylon there.

If you're looking for a mellower tone and a softer feel, a nice set of flat wounds will get you much farther, IMO. Modern mandolin designs tend to need a little more energy from the strings to drive them properly. The nylon 'lute' sound seems to come from the guys playing the bowlback mandolins. Just an observation.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Quote Originally Posted by kingebeneezer View Post
    I have a Kentucky KM-150 A style with the D'addario phosphor bronze wound strings, i wanna say the J-74? I've been curious about putting nylon strings on it. Has anyone else tried this? I was imagining only changing the A and E strings to nylon as the G and D would be too thick to use double strings and would rattle off each other.

Are there any simple ways to change the tone/sound basically? Maybe some suggestions on different style strings to use on an acoustic.

Get a nylon string guitar and use a capo on the 5th fret. Or a Tacoma Papoose and put nylon strings on it. A mando wont give one the proper projection w/nylon strings. One would sacrifice virtually all volume and most of the tone. The body cavity is just too small. JMHO.

Now an OM, IB, MC or cittern might have the string length/body size to give one the needed separation and tension to get a 'classical guitar/lute' sound. There are plenty of examples of 'double course' guitars and lutes, historically. But, then there's the question of attaching the strings. Nylon strings don't come w/loops ala mandolin family instruments normally.

Your efforts in thinking out of the box are applauded from this corner. Keep us posted w/your results.

You could also try an open tuning.
    Once you got your head wrapped around it, it would sound very bluesy indeed. You could play it with a slide, even.
    I think most people use GDBD for open G on mandolin. Then all you have to do is tune up the A a step and tune the E down a step. No big deal, no setup required.

I think this will be much more satisfactory than trying to retrofit nylons onto an instrument which was not designed for them. If you want to try that, I'd say a check out a taropatch uke (8 strings), it will sound much better with the proper string set.

contact a builder who will make you a Mandolin designed to only have the tension load
    of a set of Nylon Aquila strings on it ..

maybe something Lute Like.. inspired by the Baroque Period mandolins..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture