Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New pick ideas, which to try?

Default New pick ideas, which to try?

I am thinking about upgrading my pick and am looking for a little advice.

I currently use a Jim Dunlop 2.0 mm Big Stubby, having settled on it after taking my mando to the only local music store and trying out every pick they had. It was the only one they stocked which gave me nice a bold tone.

However, I am thinking that the rather sharp point on it isn't helping with my right hand picking speed, as I think it 'catches' on the strings more than a more rounded point might. I'd also like to try gripping with two fingers rather than one, and the shape of the Big Stubby doesn't facilitate this too well.

So Blue Chip picks seem very popular among the mandolin community. Living in the UK means that I'd need to order from the States, so choosing the right one first time would be slightly more important to me as it would be more costly and take a longer time sending picks back and forth across the pond. The choice of BC picks seems quite bewildering though!

Baring in mind my current choice of pick and the downsides to it, can anyone recommend a BC model that might be a good starting point? Or even a different and less expensive make/model that would be a good step up from my current pick?

Cheers in advance!
    1956 Levin Palermo 'A' style
    2010 The Loar LM-600
    Eastwood electric mandolin
    Loads of guitars gathering dust

Default Re: New pick ideas, which to try?

Just to add, the Big Stubby was miles better than any other of the picks the store stocked, like the usual Tortex or nylon affairs
    2010 The Loar LM-600

Mandolin Pickin Fool dawgmike94's Avatar

Well, if you like about a 2.00, the CT 55 is probably your best bet Blue Chip wise; its pretty much standard for a lot of pickers, though a little thick for my tone preferences.
    Trying to get my hands to do what I hear in my head...
    -John Hartford

Thanks Dawgmike! I see that the CT 55 model is the one Chris Thiel uses. If it is good enough for him.... ;-)

Can someone fill me in on the benefits of the speed bevel? I'm assuming that a right hand speed bevel will be for someone right handed?
    2010 The Loar LM-600

Mandolin Pickin Fool dawgmike94's Avatar

Yes, one would assume However, at a jam last week, I used a fella's left-handed CT 40, and I couldn't tell much difference with the different bevel. I didn't get to play with it for a couple o' days or anything though, so that doesn't much count.
    Trying to get my hands to do what I hear in my head...
    -John Hartford

I think the JazzMando Proplec Pick offers the best value for money. It's a sturdy 1.5mm pick with nice smooth edges, so quite similar to your favourite Dunlop Stubbies in dimensions and thickness, but easier to get a clean tone than the Dunlop.

7. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

Thanks, Blueron. I have just placed an order for some. At that price point it is definitely worth a punt!
    2010 The Loar LM-600

If you don't want a Blue Chip as pointy as the Thile signature picks, the TPR-50 is what I use and love. It's tough if you're ordering overseas, but it's worth it to buy both and see which you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by herbsandspices View Post
    If you don't want a Blue Chip as pointy as the Thile signature picks, the TPR-50 is what I use and love. It's tough if you're ordering overseas, but it's worth it to buy both and see which you prefer.
    Sound advice. I think buying a few BC picks (as budget would allow) and then keeping the one I get on with and sending the rest back would be the best way. I think for now I will see how I get on with the Jazzmando ones that I've ordered. Guess it is better to not get into expensive habits. If these picks work out great for me, then I know I don't ever have to be terrified of losing a pick!

Having said that, we know how these things go.. there will come a time somewhere down the road when curiosity gets the better of me and I will dip my toe into the Blue Chip waters.
    2010 The Loar LM-600

I discovered these picks a few months ago......

http://www.jpstrings.com/brpicks.htm#Fast Turtles

Elderly sells them for $9.50

I like the thin ones, absolutly fantastic.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I just sold off my Wegens and Pro-Plecs. I have settled on the Bluechip TAD60-1R and a Tad50-1R.

I use the Dunlop 2MM purple myself, and have for more years than I care to think about. I bought a Bluechip TD80, as this is most similar. Lets just say that it didn't work out for me. I don't know if its because I chose the speed bevel, or I just don't care for the tone the BC material offers. Never the less, I'm sending back the BC. Myself and two other skilled mandolin players tried it back to back with the Dunlop, and all three of us agreed that we didn't like the sound the BC gave in the treble. As stated, maybe this is because of the bevel, I don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by CaskAle View Post
    Can someone fill me in on the benefits of the speed bevel? I'm assuming that a right hand speed bevel will be for someone right handed?
    The "Speed Bevel" was created to simulate the natural wear that a pick would develop after a lot of use. Personally, I don't like it at all. It's kind of like buying new jeans with the knees already ripped up. Mainly what I don't like about the bevel is that it does not do anything for speed, as the name would suggest. It's advertising hype, IMO. The other thing is that at the point of attack where the pick meets the strings, the pick is about half of the advertised thickness because of how the two sides of the bevel overlap. The result is a much brighter tone because the pick is so much thinner right there. I tried and really wanted to like the Wegen TF-140. It had tons of volume, nice wear characteristics, and a pretty good feel. But I couldn't get past the harsh tone I was getting. One day I decided to try the same pick without a bevel. Unfortunately, Wegen doesn't offer that pick without a bevel and I had to "special order" it. Yeah, Michel Wegen charged me extra to make a pick that eliminated one of the steps in the process. Anyway, the tone was substantially nicer and it still maintained all of the other attributes that I liked about it. That was over a year ago and I'm still using that same pick. With the bevel, I couldn't stand it. Without the bevel, it's the best pick I have ever used. Many players have strong opinions in favor of the bevel, but that's my two cents. From what I can tell, the CT-55 has even a more pronounced bevel than the other similar Blue Chips.
    BTW, I did the same experiment with the Blue Chip TAD-60. Had one with a bevel and one without and liked the rounded edge much better. At least with Blue Chip you don't have to deal with a not-so-friendly Michel Wegen. His emails, after not responding to my first three, were very nasty in tone. I will never deal with him directly again.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Blog Entries

I bought a Bluechip CT-55 and some Wegen TF-140 picks. The CT-55 seems to spend more time in my pick pouch than not, yet it does come out every now and then. I can't yet decide what it is that makes the difference between them. The Wegen seems more demanding, less forgiving of variations in picking technique, perhaps that's why I use it more. I like to use the CT-55 when just letting fly with the tunes and letting technique go out the window (jams etc) it seems to encourage a more exuberant less careful style. - very subjective perceptions of what actually are narrow enough differences.
    Both sit way above the other myriad of picks I bought first.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

A Cafe member posted several months ago that Blue Chip Picks are now available in Europe from :- The New Acoustic Gallery
    www.newacousticgallery.com/ They're a store in Wuppertal, Germany,but as you can read their website in English,then it should be easy to contact them & ask re.Blue Chip prices. A typical price seems to be 41.90 Euros (£34.80 UK /$ 55.91 US) - 'i'll pass !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm using Gravity picks at the moment, and I really like them. But I should mention that I'm not a very proficient mandolin player, and that I prefer a pointed pick over a round one. Gravity are sure to have the shape you want, but it's not the one I'm using.

I think you should give Wegens a try - it's a cheaper option to start with - the TF140 is the same size and thickness as a BC CT55
    I use the 'Dipper' which is 1.8mm thick and is louder than my BC Tad60 (to my ears) - you can get them in UK from here: http://www.newstrings.co.uk/acatalog...azz_Picks.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    A Cafe member posted several months ago that Blue Chip Picks are now available in Europe from :- The New Acoustic Gallery
    www.newacousticgallery.com/ They're a store in Wuppertal, Germany,but as you can read their website in English,then it should be easy to contact them & ask re.Blue Chip prices. A typical price seems to be 41.90 Euros (£34.80 UK /$ 55.91 US) - 'i'll pass !,
    Ivan
    I'll join Ivan in the line 'passing' on those absolutely ridiculous prices. If it's true that there's one born every minute, the sellers of these tiny bits of plastic must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by blueron View Post
    the sellers of these tiny bits of plastic must be laughing all the way to the bank.
    Yeah, but they're pretty awesome tiny bits of plastic.

I like Papa's Picks in 2.2 mm and 2.7 mm size. I also recently experimented with shaping some picks based on an unexpected liking I developed for jazz style guitar picks. You could try re-shaping the point of the big stubby more to your liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelsenbury View Post
    I'm using Gravity picks at the moment, and I really like them. But I should mention that I'm not a very proficient mandolin player, and that I prefer a pointed pick over a round one. Gravity are sure to have the shape you want, but it's not the one I'm using.
    I use Gravity Strikers Standard 1.5mm. I buy them a dozen at a time so they work out cheaper at just over $4 bucks each with free postage.
    I find I do need to shape the point[s] a little with a diamond dust nail file as I have found that a slightly smoother/ rounded tip works better for me than the sharp bevelled points supplied.
    I am also newish to mandolin, learning as I go.
    sapiens populus eo per camelus
    http://www.allsingtogether.com/

I go between Fender 346, the big curved side triangle , Heavy,...
    and a Dawg /Goldengate version of the DG pick.

I could go thicker on the 346, but I'd hve to order 6 dozen,
    but that 1/2 gross .. costing like 1 blue chip,,
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

A friend of mine gave me a Red Bear pick and I love it.I don't know the thickness as it has been used so much that the writing is worn off.I've used the Blue Chip as well and to me the Red Bear is every bit as good as the Blue Chip and I think the Red Bear may be slightly cheaper as far as price goes.Might be worth looking into for you.

I like the Wegen M150 mandolin picks. The rounded corners help the pick move through the strings a bit easier.

I have been to the Blue Chip site a few times and just couldn't bring myself to spend almost $40 on a pick (including shipping) to complete the sale.
    -Robert T. -

Ah, the misnomer 'speed bevel'. I always used to favour old and worn picks for playing guitar, so I can see what they've done there. I'm not sure that I would want it for playing mandolin though, you certainly need more 'meat' on a pick when playing one of our little friends. And as mandobassman points out; you buy a pick for a certain thickness, which you'd lose with a bevel.

Cheers for all the ideas, folks. Very helpful. Wouldn't it be great if there was somewhere where one could try out all of the picks on the market with your own instrument! Picks 'r' Us, anyone?
    2010 The Loar LM-600