Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1617181920

Thread: New Fender Emando

Default Re: New Fender Emando

Even my Fender Strat guitar had the same issues with the setscrews cutting my hand. And it was no $300 instrument lol. They needed to be cut back..

That cover reminds me of my old fender jazz bass.
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    While I agree the bridge cover looks cool and saves one's hands from poorly setup instruments [trimming the screws should be part of a setup] they interfere with the way most people play.

I, and a lot of other electric players, do quite a bit of palm muting, and that's impossible with those covers. That's the main reason people started taking them off back in the day and why Fender stopped making them. Acoustic mando players are used to not having any sustain while electric players are always fighting to keep unwanted strings from ringing.
    Ah. Thanks for that explanation. I'm mainly an acoustic player, and mostly use the electric for late-night noodling with headphones, so I probably come at it with a slightly different approach than an accomplished electric performer. It still seems like a thin metal cover without sharp corners could expose the strings just as well as the bare bridge does, and make everybody happy in the process.

Blog Entries

Those Allen-head set screws can be bought in shorter sizes. I guess Fender's supplier just used the size for taller bridges because they have a few thousand of them. Take one to your hardware store and buy the appropriate length.
    Last edited by Tom Wright; Jan-21-2016 at 10:42pm.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

It always bothered me that it came with no cover,I would have paid extra for it.Not everyone smokes and needs an ashtray.Maybe you could make them in pickup brown and offer them for sale.

I did think of offering them for sale, but even though the 3D printer does most of the work, there's still a fair bit of cleanup to be done by hand. I think I'd have to charge more than they're worth just to justify the time and effort. Alternatively, I could offer the raw part and let the customer do the cleanup, but even so I'm not sure I want to be in that business.

If they were injection molded the cost per part would be a few cents, but tooling for injection molding is quite expensive, and even if half the MandoStrat owners in the world wanted one, I'm not sure the economics would work out. (By the way, does anyone know how many MandoStrats Fender made?)

If there's serious interest, I could publish the STL file, and anyone who had access to a 3D printer could print their own (in their choice of color).

Incidentally, 3D printers are handy for other instrument-related things. A while back one of the tuner knobs on my Flatiron split in half, and after half-heartedly looking for a new set of tuners I just said to heck with it and printed a new knob. It's not an exact duplicate of the original, but it doesn't stand out at a casual glance from a few feet away, and it seems to be more than strong enough.

a dremmel to the bottom of the screws shortens them
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Quote Originally Posted by bohemianbiker View Post
    Thanks for the info.

On a different topic, I emailed Fender and asked what case they might recommend, and they sent me the following:

"Thanks for writing in!

As of right now, there’s no specific, designated case attached to the Mando-Strat. However, that model should fit into an “F” style Mandolin case. I’ll include some links below!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...hardshell-case

http://www.amazon.com/SKB-Universal-.../dp/B002WJHFU0 "

bb

I bought a rectangular case and it works like a champ! It is a universal style
    All good things come in fifths

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OKMike View Post
    Mit that work with an ELS?

http://jbovier.net/mandolins/els/
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Quote Originally Posted by OKMike View Post
    Which case is it?

Another topic-has anyone tried mandola tuning on this Fender? Johnny Gimble style?

Quote Originally Posted by lowtone2 View Post
    Which case is it?

Another topic-has anyone tried mandola tuning on this Fender? Johnny Gimble style?
    I just bought an acoustic mandola and like it alot. I was thinking the same thing for my mando-strat. What gauge strings would you use?

Quote Originally Posted by BebopBob View Post
    I just bought an acoustic mandola and like it alot. I was thinking the same thing for my mando-strat. What gauge strings would you use?
    I was hoping someone had already worked that out. So, I don't know, probably a heavier mandola set, .050 to .015 nickel flatwounds?

I'm not even sure what strings are on it from the factory.

Callaham has shorter screws for strat bridges, don't know if they're the same size or not.

http://www.callahamguitars.com/partsstr.htm

I've always wanted one of the 4 string ones. Anyone try taking 4 strings off the 8 string model?
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlackVeil View Post
    Callaham has shorter screws for strat bridges, don't know if they're the same size or not.

http://www.callahamguitars.com/partsstr.htm

I've always wanted one of the 4 string ones. Anyone try taking 4 strings off the 8 string model?
    I remove the extra courses from my 12 string guitars all the time. I like the wider fretboard you get doing this.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Not that specific one but I have 2 CGDA tuned magnetic pickup 4 strings, 1, a solid body
    and other, a Gibson EM 150. with a different bridge and nut made.

I use an .050" for the C
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Not that specific one but I have 2 CGDA tuned magnetic pickup 4 strings, 1, a solid body
    and other, a Gibson EM 150. with a different bridge and nut made.

I use an .050" for the C
    I'm going to give that a try. Thanks!

So, I did give it a try. Mandola tuning. Bought a set for electric 5 string, put away the E string and there you are. The bridge saddles barely moved back far enough to intonate, and I had to adjust the nut for C and G strings, but it works very well. I’ve ordered a 4saddle bridge for it, but intonation is pretty close as is. It doesn’t feel loose at all.