Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Fender Emando

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New Fender Emando

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    Tiny Moore played a Bigsby, not a Fender - were there any famous players of these?
    I can think of one in particular...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jethro_Burns.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	96967

Larry

Tiny Moore played a Bigsby, not a Fender - were there any famous players of these?

Just curious.
    Jethro Burns!

Name:	Jethro_Burns.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	96966

Or sam Bush!

Name:	web-Sam-Bush-electric.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	96968

Name:	P6114251.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	96969

If I remember correctly (probably not) that in a previous issue of the Fretboard Journal, Sam Bush has a new Fender Mandocaster, from the custom shop, with a tremelo bridge. Sam said that it throws the whole thing out of tune if you use it. But it would be a cool option.

Alex Gregory! Davey Johnstone! John Kruth! Marshall Crenshaw!
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I think it's great that you can get an electric Mandolin with great potential in that price range. But, in all honesty, do you really think it looks good? I find it a bit tragic. Again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I just find that thing ugly. I prefer mine.

Name:	Electric_Mandolin_cedar_neck_1.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	96976
    Last edited by Ian H Weston; Jan-16-2013 at 5:36pm. Reason: picture position

6. The following members say thank you to Ian H Weston for this post:

John Paul Jones

Name:	fender_mand_02.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	96977

8. The following members say thank you to jefflester for this post:

The emando market needs a gateway drug, and this is the latest. There's still a place for instruments like Ian's; they're just not entry-level for most folks.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I'm kinda curious why everyone is so GASed about this one.

The bridge ... snip...

...Is it really just about getting one just like the original with Fender on the headstock, warts and all?

Just curious.
    By your line of reasoning, there should be no reason for Teles, or SGs, or Rickenbackers, or F5s for that matter. And yet.. People still buy them. Funny, eh?

It's also about the price point. If these were coming out of the custom shop at $3K a pop I don't know how many of us would bite (I mean, how many of us have Rickenbacker electrics?). At sub $400, you could mod the heck out of the things and feel no remorse.

11. The following members say thank you to delsbrother for this post:

I'm kinda curious why everyone is so GASed about this one.
    There are tons of folks (I'm one of them) who have always been charmed by the Mandocaster, but not charmed enough to fork over the kind of dough they have been going for over the decades....

This is a chance to stick one in the quiver for not a lot of $$$...

I've been waiting for Fender to do this for quite awhile...

13. The following members say thank you to Spruce for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ian H Weston View Post
    I think it's great that you can get an electric Mandolin with great potential in that price range. But, in all honesty, do you really think it looks good? I find it a bit tragic. Again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I just find that thing ugly. I prefer mine.

Name:	Electric_Mandolin_cedar_neck_1.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	96976
    Ok, well - that is kinda gorgeous, Ian!
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

John Paul Jones largely played a bat-wing Harmony from the shots I've seen.

Sam who?

Quote Originally Posted by delsbrother View Post
    By your line of reasoning, there should be no reason for Teles, or SGs, or Rickenbackers, or F5s for that matter. And yet.. People still buy them. Funny, eh?

It's also about the price point. If these were coming out of the custom shop at $3K a pop I don't know how many of us would bite (I mean, how many of us have Rickenbacker electrics?). At sub $400, you could mod the heck out of the things and feel no remorse.
    When I was coming up, Tele's were for those who couldn't afford a real guitar. I really don't understand the attraction to them by current generation other than they are waxing prophetic for all things old. Just cause it's old doesn't mean it's good. That said, I did finally get a Telecaster but I got the Aerodyne Tele which, IMHO, fixes everything wrong with the standard Tele design.

I just so happen to have a Rickenbacker 650 Sierra - 24K Gold plated hardware and all. It's the meanest, rawkingest guitar you'll ever find.

Quote Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
    There are tons of folks (I'm one of them) who have always been charmed by the Mandocaster, but not charmed enough to fork over the kind of dough they have been going for over the decades....

This is a chance to stick one in the quiver for not a lot of $$$...

I've been waiting for Fender to do this for quite awhile...
    I would think this is the right answer. While I don't tend to agree - I buy instruments to play, not for their charm - but I understand quite a few people might find these offerings attractive.

Like I said, just curious.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

I have an original, from '65 I think. I had Armadillo Machine Shop in Austin TX make me compensated saddles a couple of years ago. Unfortunately he didn't have the instrument in hand, so the offsets for the saddles are my best estimate. The intonation is much better than it was originally. I love the way it (and the reissue) looks, and the neck on mine is just spectacular. This reissue is going to be great, I think.

I'd like to see one in Candy Apple Red. Much nicer than battleship gray, imho.

Original 1966 and 1965 models

Name:	DSC05916.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	169.4 KB 
ID:	97014

Love my '65; great feel, nice vibe, killer sound...

Name:	Sergio_Lara2.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	246.5 KB 
ID:	97015

18. The following members say thank you to Sergio Lara for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by lukmanohnz View Post
    Ok, well - that is kinda gorgeous, Ian!
    Thank you.

When I was coming up, Tele's were for those who couldn't afford a real guitar.
    I dunno... Bruce Springsteen and Albert Collins did OK with theirs.

21. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mtm View Post
    PS I have an acoustic amp for my acoustic-electric mando ... would I need an "electric" amp for a mandobird/fender/ etc?

thanks
    To take full advantage of the electric capabilities, you'd want to get an "electric" amp, IMO. I have a 30W Roland Cube and a Fender "Mini-Mustang" that work pretty well with my Mandobird. I like the Cube better, but I think it sounds better turned up a little. Bought the Mini-Mustang to use as a travel/practice amp, and it works very well for that application, I'm just still learning all of the presets on it. It also has a USB line out, so it plugs into Garageband, which is a lot of fun to play around with (or whatever recording software you choose to use). Someday I'm going to invest in a good tube amp for the tone, but just don't need one at the moment. For the record, I got the Mustang for about 120 bucks, the Cube for 250 (I think, it's been a while since I bought them)...so, you don't have to blow a tone of cash to get a functional in-home option (both also have line outs, so you can plug them into a PA if desired).
    Chuck

When I was coming up, Tele's were for those who couldn't afford a real guitar. I really don't understand the attraction to them by current generation other than they are waxing prophetic for all things old.
    Awww, man...
    Teles do things no other electric guitar can do...
    The workin' man's Swiss army knife...

Just cause it's old doesn't mean it's good.
    True.

Quote Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
    Awww, man...
    Teles do things no other electric guitar can do...
    The workin' man's Swiss army knife...

Tele purists laud the fact it's a 1-trick pony. But it's always followed by "it's a great trick." I find a Strat does 99% of what a tele can do, with or without the hum, plus a ton of stuff a tele can't do and all in a body shape that's much more comfortable than a Tele slab.

Relicing is much like pre-washed jeans IMHO - it's a way for "noobs" to try and show some street cred, as in, "look at me, I've been around so long I got holes in my jeans and a factory beatup 'relic' guitar."

If you really dig that look do what we used to do back in the day - toss your guitar without a case in the trunk of a 56 Chevy [along with assorted tools and stuff also lose] and drive over bumpy country roads for years on end. Me - all it makes me want to do is try and "fix" the poor thing.

- ---==< V >==--- -

25. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:

Sheesh. Is it NAMM yet?

The Tele, a "one trick pony"? Springsteen, Gatton, Don Rich, Roy Buchanan, Ed Bickert, Hellecasters, Richard Thompson, Brent Mason, Scotty Anderson, Keith Richards, and on and on. This argument is absurd. Back to the Fender electric mandolin.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan Margolis For This Useful Post:

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Margolis View Post
    The Tele, a "one trick pony"? Springsteen, Gatton, Don Rich, Roy Buchanan, Ed Bickert, Hellecasters, Richard Thompson, Brent Mason, Scotty Anderson, Keith Richards, and on and on. This argument is absurd. Back to the Fender electric mandolin.
    Most guitars are "one trick ponies"...until they`re plugged in....
    The difference is in the choice of amps, pedals, the skill and experience to get the most from them and last but not least, the fingers.....and I would suggest the same applies to electric mandolin ;-)

Tele purists laud the fact it's a 1-trick pony. But it's always followed by "it's a great trick."

I find a Strat does 99% of what a tele can do...

Relicing is much like pre-washed jeans IMHO - it's a way for "noobs" to try and show some street cred, as in, "look at me, I've been around so long I got holes in my jeans and a factory beatup 'relic' guitar."

If you really dig that look do what we used to do back in the day - toss your guitar without a case in the trunk of a 56 Chevy [along with assorted tools and stuff also lose] and drive over bumpy country roads for years on end. Me - all it makes me want to do is try and "fix" the poor thing.

OK, back in a week with some pics of that new Fender...
    Anyone want me to focus on anything in particular?

Man, do some of you people get uptight or what? Geez. Not everybody likes the same things - get over it!

I'll be dropping by Fender next week as well. I have one of the 90's MIK Fender 5-strings, so it'll be interesting to see the differences, if any.

- ---==< V >==--- -

Yeah, you're right...
    Sorry...
    Hope to meet you at NAMM...
    I'll be the one unscrewing the pickguard on that Fender to get a better look...

No worries. I'll be around the Pigtronix booth - main hall between Music Man and Rickenbacker - most of Saturday and off/on over the rest of the show. I believe The Music Link is just up the way, so I'll be keeping an eye out to see who pops up over there - Greg Rich maybe? Dave Koltai/Pigtronix did a bunch of stuff with Thile and the Punch Bros. over the summer, so I'm bringing my video camera just in case they drop by and do some jamming. That's the coolest part of the show - all these celebs drop in the demo chair and just wail through the pedal board. Some amazing stuff goes down!! I'm stoked!!

Drop by and say "hi" - I'd love to meet up with everyone who's going. And if you see someone videoing you taking the pickguard off, don't worry, I'll keep it a secret LOL.

- ---==< V >==--- -