Thread: not a "mash-in-B" mandolin

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Default not a "mash-in-B" mandolin

I'm seeing this description about a Kalamazoo mando in the classifieds.
    Maybe I'm just dense today. But what does that mean?????
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Default Re: not a "mash-in-B" mandolin

I would say that "mash in B" means to play modern, bouncy, bluegrass songs in B. Think Steffey, Bibey and folks like that

Registered User Justus True Waldron's Avatar

"Mash in B" or just "mash" refers to the slammin' hard drivin' bluegrass style made popular by bands like Mountain Heart and Blue Highway, LRB etc. Not sure how it got that name but I'd imagine from people saying things like "Mash it, son!". Most of the common "mash" tunes (In the Gravel Yard, Cold Sheets of Rain, etc) are done in B. I like to mash as much as anybody, but I also see why some people are turned off by it - it's very easy to loose dynamics and just play fast and LOUD. Of course, after staying up two nights in a row at a festival jamming non stop even that is fun! I like to split my time at festivals between mash jams and technical fiddle tune jams for that reason.

I haven't seen the post, but I'd guess the seller is saying the mando isn't an all out banjo killer, but probably works well for other quieter and sweeter forms of music making.
    - 2004 Macica A
    - 1952 Selmer Centered Tone
    - Eastwood electric mandola
    (and lots more)

Austin beat me to it. You ain't gonna get that button-popping, heart-pounding, bone shaking woof in B natchul with this mandolin!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justus True Waldron View Post
    "Mash in B" or just "mash" refers to the slammin' hard drivin' bluegrass style made popular by bands like Mountain Heart and Blue Highway, LRB etc. Not sure how it got that name but I'd imagine from people saying things like "Mash it, son!". Most of the common "mash" tunes (In the Gravel Yard, Cold Sheets of Rain, etc) are done in B. I like to mash as much as anybody, but I also see why some people are turned off by it - it's very easy to loose dynamics and just play fast and LOUD. Of course, after staying up two nights in a row at a festival jamming non stop even that is fun! I like to split my time at festivals between mash jams and technical fiddle tune jams for that reason.

I haven't seen the post, but I'd guess the seller is saying the mando isn't an all out banjo killer, but probably works well for other quieter and sweeter forms of music making.
    Haven't we all mashed down on the throttle?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Okay. Thanks guys! I just love to learn new things!
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Quote Originally Posted by Justus True Waldron View Post

If you're lucky you can get a quite tone mash jam. sonnnn