Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Searching for info on my Dads 1955 custom built Mandolin

Poppie

Default Searching for info on my Dads 1955 custom built Mandolin

My father had a beautiful Curly Maple Electric Mandolin custom built for himself in 1955. I have some receipts from a man named W.J. Harvey ADC , 7238 Fay Ave, La Jolia, Cal. that showes him paying $265.00 to have it custom built to his specs.. Does anyone know of this builder? He could have been in the Navy, as my father was, when he had it built. Dad said it was a Harveytone, although I cannot find any information on this brand of Mandolin. I would like to restore it for my own personal use, and need to learn more about it in order to do so. Any feedback would be appreciated. I have pictures on my phone that I could text to you if this would help. The pickup is oval shaped aluminum that has 4 screws for adjusting its distance from the strings. there are no markings on the pickup at all, Any ideas what I may have? Thanks in advance for any info one might have.

2. The following members say thank you to Ric for this post:

Default Re: Searching for info on my Dads 1955 custom built Mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by Ric View Post
    ...I have pictures on my phone that I could text to you if this would help...Thanks in advance for any info one might have.
    Pics would be a necessity. There's an on-line-accessible document regarding Jim Harvey and his guitars here www.dekedickerson.com/docs/DekeDickerson-JimHarvey.doc if the link works; if not, search on "harvey guitar la jolla ca," and bring up the word processing document entitled "Tough Old Men and Birdseye Maple." It will download as a Word document.

I think this must be the same builder that made your dad's mandolin. Apparently very Bigsby-influenced. "Harveytone" would have been his private brand, I'd guess.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

4. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

I sent a link to this thread to Deke. He can probably tell you more than you want to know about Harvey. That's a pretty special thing you have there! Are you in southern California?

Just heard from Deke - he's not a member, but would like your email or phone number, if you don't mind.

Please be so kind as to post pictures and whatever other information you receive. This is great stuff.

8. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Funny, I just came to find info on a Stradolin I bought, and ended up in the middle of a episode of History Detectives! I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Pics would be a necessity. There's an on-line-accessible document regarding Jim Harvey and his guitars here www.dekedickerson.com/docs/DekeDickerson-JimHarvey.doc if the link works; if not, search on "harvey guitar la jolla ca," and bring up the word processing document entitled "Tough Old Men and Birdseye Maple."
    This doc is a Fretboard Journal article. It's in Issue #19, Fall 2010
    Marc B.

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Here's a picture of one.
    Other pictures accompany article here.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

12. The following members say thank you to billhay4 for this post:

Here's a photo from Deke's blog of Scotty Broyles with his Harvey mandolin:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_dAI1sFMWJQ...ttyBroyles.JPG

Ric, your dad's instrument is historically significant, because Jim Harvey was one of the first American luthiers to build solidbody electric mandolins. Deke Dickerson is undoubtedly the most qualified person to help you find someone to restore it.

If you need help posting photos, you can send them to my email address and I'll post them here. I'll send you a private message with more info.

Check my site, Emando.com, for more information on electric mandolins in general.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

14. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

A link to that article with pics on Deke's blog.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Whoops! I see Billhay posted the same link.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    I think this must be the same builder that made your dad's mandolin. Apparently very Bigsby-influenced.
    That's sort of a chicken-and-egg conundrum ... it would appear that they influenced each other, in some respects!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

When I read "1955" and "custom built" I got my hopes up that the next line was "birdseye maple" and "Paul Bigsby"

Poppie

Well thanks to all who have responded, and I stand corrected, it is Birdseye Maple. What a beautiful instrument, I must add. My Fathers name was William Baugus and he cherished this Mandolin, just as I do, even more so finding out the history behind it. I will get some pictures posted soon. My Dad wanted the end of the neck to be shaped to resemble a music note, and I still have the metal template that he gave to Mr. Harvey that was used to shape the neck. As the story Dad told went, It was to be the only one with this style of neck. Dad went on to build several others with this same neck design. So somewhere out there, lies a few copies that Dad produced,although he did not do all the inlays and such, that makes this one as pretty as it is. He also did not use Birdseye Maple on the few that he built. I am pleased to know that what I have is as special as it is. It is in need of restoring and that is in its near future. Thanks again to all who have provided me with the history of such a wonderful heirloom.

Thank you for bringing forth this historical mandolin. I very much enjoyed reading the entire history, the photos are a treasure. I highly anticipate the photos of your fathers Harvey mandolin.
    Lee Hill

Here are a couple of photos Ric sent me. Just stunning. What a delightful instrument. Heavy Bigsby influence in the body, but all Harvey at the headstock.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0110130918_0001.jpg 
Views:	516 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	96732

Name:	0110130918a_0001.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	96733

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post:

Obviously needs replacement tuners, and looks like there's a pole missing from the Bigsby pickup. (I should think that pickup alone is worth its approximate weight in gold...or maybe 50 percent of it, anyway.) Otherwise it seems to be in pretty good shape. That is some gorgeous birdseye.

Ric: I know that Paul Bigsby's mandolins weren't actually solid; there was a solid center core with hollow "wings" on either side. Any idea whether the Harvey is constructed the same way?

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Obviously needs replacement tuners, and looks like there's a pole missing from the Bigsby pickup. (I should think that pickup alone is worth its approximate weight in gold...or maybe 50 percent of it, anyway.) Otherwise it seems to be in pretty good shape. That is some gorgeous birdseye.
    Also missing a knob. Hmmmm... one pickup but 4 knobs. I wonder how the electronics were set up. Volume and tone and what? Presets?

Scotty Broyles mandolins (pictured in Deke's article) all have two knobs/one pickup.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I guess I thought that was a switch ... but with 1 pickup, a switch wouldn't make a whole lot of sense either. I think the extra knobs are for Talent and Sex Appeal.

26. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Thanks, Martin! I knew you had the answer.

I read the whole article and there was no mention of whether the body was solid or chambered. There were a couple of pictures of the body in the white with just the routed out areas for electronics. Harvey bought his pickups from Bigsby but otherwise was on his own for design. I like the radical angle of the neck joint on the mandolin (seen on this shot).

Sorry, I must have missed this. Deke posted a couple of shots of a guitar and it was chambered so likely the mandolins were as well.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Poppie

it is semi hollow. has 3 pots and 1 toggle switch. the pickup appears to be complete, and is missing 1 original tuner

Aha! Any idea what the toggle switch is for? Did Bigsby or Harvey invent the "stacked humbucker"?

There are dealers who specialize in odd guitar parts, so you should be able to find an exact match for the missing tuner. It appears that the Broyles mandolin used closed-gear Klusons, which are abundant.

But ... hm ... did yours have individual tuners, or 4-on-a-plate mandolin tuners?

And if the pickup is complete ... are you saying there is a screw pole where the E strings would go? I guess if there is, it's a darker color than the other screw poles. Sorry, I know you're looking at the real thing while the rest of us are squinting at the photo.
    Last edited by mrmando; Jan-11-2013 at 3:50pm.

Thank you, everyone. This is one of the most interesting threads on the mandolincafe. Thanks, again for all the history, links and photos. I especially like the "Champagne Polka" by Scotty and Deke, outstanding.
    Also noticed the tone of the Scotty mandolin, It's not the ear-piercing shrill sound we hear on many modern day electrics.
    Enjoy.
    Lee

If you look at the first photo in the article with Harvey standing at a table with some instruments, Deke believes that's Ric's dad's unfinished mandolin dead center standing up. Compare the round fret dots.

Name:	HarveyBig1.jpg 
Views:	509 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	96738

Poppie

I have a lot more to share after reading Dekes Blog Post. Dad was on the ship with him and were close friends of the whole group that Deke speaks of throughout that story. Heading into work for now but I will share what I have with you all. the three pots and switch are all daisychained together. I have it apart and will send close up photos of the body, inside and out. But i must leave for work shortly. Have no fear the guitar will stay in its original condition. I am so glad you caught me when you did. I was headed for destruction of American Music History!!!!! What a travisty this could have been. More to come tomorow guys.