Thread: Sapeca Iaiá: A "New" choro song of Jacob do Bandolim

Post Sapeca Iaiá: A "New" choro song of Jacob do Bandolim

Braziliam musicians play "Sapeca Iaiá". See video in the following weblink:

http://tv.estadao.com.br/videos,MUSI...6604,253,0.htm

This song is unpublished choro of Jacob do Bandolin and was recently discored by Brazilian researchers. Left to Right: Déo Rian and Sergio Prata (Bandolim); João Camarero (Cavaquinho) and Marcílio Lopez (7-string acoustical guitar).

Watch video and enjoy !!

Musical Regards,

Carlos Gomes SJK-SP

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carlos Gomes SJK-SP For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Sapeca Iaiá: A "New" choro song of Jacob do Bandolim

Thanks, Carlos. That is excellent. Wonderful players, too.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Thanks for the link!

Just clicking back in now, I re-read the comment next to the video. They've got 15 previously unpublished pieces by Jacob?!

That would be a real find. Would love to see the book they're talking about.

Even if the pieces are not quite up to the work that Jacob was willing to release to the public through his commercial recordings, they'd still make for interesting study.

And, who knows? There could be and as-yet-unknown classic in there. How cool would that be??!!
    Doug Hoople
    Adult-onset Instrumentalist (or was that addled-onset?)

Post Re: Sapeca Iaiá: A "New" choro song of Jacob do Bandolim

The major contribution of this musical research, on the composition activities from the Jacob do Bandolim, is the issuance of two books which contain his complete work.

I have acquired these amazing books (Caderno de Composições de Jacob do Bandolim: Volume 1 and 2). All songs are written in standard notation along with the harmony information. Additionally, some relevant arrangements for the 7-string acoustic guitar are strategically displayed. The main disavantages are the absence of tablatures and audio material (CD, MP3 files).

Although there are a lot of free material available in web, I strongly recommend to adquire these music sheet books. You can buy these books directly on publisher site. The price is 54 Reais ( ~27 Dollars):

http://vitale.com.br/sistema/produto...p?codigo=36421

http://vitale.com.br/sistema/produto...p?codigo=36422

Musical Regards,

Carlos Gomes SJK-SP

7. The following members say thank you to Carlos Gomes SJK-SP for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Gomes SJK-SP View Post
    Although there are a lot of free material available in web, I strongly recommend to adquire these music sheet books. You can buy these books directly on publisher site. The price is 54 Reais ( ~27 Dollars):

http://vitale.com.br/sistema/produto...p?codigo=36421

http://vitale.com.br/sistema/produto...p?codigo=36422

Musical Regards,

Carlos Gomes SJK-SP
    Thanks for the links, Carlos! I'm going to have to place my order right away.
    Doug Hoople

9. The following members say thank you to Doug Hoople for this post:

Doug:
    I don't know if it is any easier to order from Elderly, but they also have it: CADERNO DE COMPOSICOES DE JACOB DO BANDOLIM - Vol 1 & 2.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Sounds like a Jacob piece. Anyone know if the transcriptions are accurate? I don't need tablature, I read notation. The main issue is whether they actually got the transcriptions correct. There are a number of Brazilian books that are not accurate.

Al: I can take a look. I have both those books.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by alb View Post
    Sounds like a Jacob piece. Anyone know if the transcriptions are accurate? I don't need tablature, I read notation. The main issue is whether they actually got the transcriptions correct. There are a number of Brazilian books that are not accurate.
    Hi Al,

It's published by the same people who brought us 'Tocando Com Jacob,' so it's likely to be very high quality.
    Doug Hoople

15. The following members say thank you to Doug Hoople for this post:

A little late on the hop for this, Jim. Thanks for the link.

From New Zealand, all options are equally difficult. Ordering direct from Brazil generally works best for me, as there's only one round of currency exchanges and shipping involved, but it's always worth a look.
    Doug Hoople

Post Re: Sapeca Iaiá: A "New" choro song of Jacob do Bandolim

Hi Mandolinist Colleagues,

I have appreciated very much the high level achieved in technical review of these choromusic books. The preface of books states that the song transcriptions are based on the original versions, then some small discrepancies may be eventually identified in relation to current versions.

Additionaly, I have recommend to verify carefully the transcription proposed, because the "typo-errors" are always expected in the issuance of first edition.

Musical Regards,

Carlos Gomes SJK-SP

I figured that. Doug -- that it would not make all that much difference.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hoople View Post
    A little late on the hop for this, Jim. Thanks for the link.
    On re-reading, this might not suggest what I meant, which was "I'm a little late on the hop in responding to your post, Jim."

Seriously, thanks for the link. It's always good to have a variety of places to look. Also interesting that Elderly seems to be consistently on the pulse with these Brazilian publications. That's pretty rare in the post bricks and mortar retailing era.
    Doug Hoople

I bought those books from them (I think) early last year. Yes, they seem to be on top of it tho they could not find me that Luperce Miranda book. Evidently completely out of print. I did get a good scan of that tho. I have a ridiculously overstocked choro library -- now all I have to do it learn 1/100 or the tunes. I am getting there, tho rather slowly. How are things in NZ, Doug? Having a nice summer?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

21. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    How are things in NZ, Doug? Having a nice summer?
    The summer's been great, with more sun and more heat than Wellington's been used to, so there's been plenty of beach time over the holidays, and I've just picked up windsurfing. Not that I'm any good at it yet, but I get little hints of how cool it will be once I figure it out, and I think the bug has bit.

We've got a choro band here that plays pretty regularly and gets a nice crowd of Brazilian expats and Latin culture aficionados.

We don't get the steady flow of world-class talent through here like up your way (Hamilton, Danilo, Dudu, Almir et al), but occasionally some top talent comes to visit. A couple of years ago, we had the Carrasqueira siblings, Toninho and Zeze, which was pretty amazing, as they grew up in a house that had Pixinguinha as a regular visitor and close family friend, along with Jacob and a whole host of others. So not only were they great musicians, but a fantastic lesson in choro history. And this March, we're pretty excited to see Trio Baru coming through, great instrumentalists who feature a substantial dose of choro in their albums.

All in all, Wellington's a pretty nice place. I miss the Symposium, Brazil Camp, Carlo's Manhattan workshops and the Port Townsend Choro Workshop, though. There's just nothing like that at all here.
    Doug Hoople

23. The following members say thank you to Doug Hoople for this post:

Doug: You should contact Dudu. Maybe he would like to come to NZ. You never know. That is how we started his coming to NYC.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

25. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Blog Entries

Thanks to Carlos and everyone for this discussion and the links. I was debating on these books for a while. Ordered yesterday from Elderly and I hope I'm not too late. The preview link has me salivating.

27. The following members say thank you to Jesse Harmon for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Doug: You should contact Dudu. Maybe he would like to come to NZ. You never know. That is how we started his coming to NYC.
    Hi Jim,

That's a great idea, and we went down that track a bit just after I got here. But funding dried up, and we scaled back on big cultural exchange plans for a while. Things are picking up a bit, so we might get back on the horse and start planning again.

Getting Dudu here would be amazing!
    Doug Hoople

29. The following members say thank you to Doug Hoople for this post: