Thread: Emando Jamming With Your Ipad....

Default Emando Jamming With Your Ipad....

This Christmas, the wife and I bought ourselves an Ipad. Its our first, so there has been a learning curve with it. Those who have one and moved from a PC to the Apple product understand what I mean!

When I bought the Ipad, I decided to buy a few Ipad/Iphone magazines and see what I could learn. One particular publication had a short two page article on guitar apps and accessories for the guitarist. I quickly grabbed that one and read the article through and it tipped me to the idea of using my Ipad to expand the possibilities with my emando.

If you plan to do the same, the first thing you have to get is an Ipad/Iphone guitar/emando plug interface. There are a bunch on the market and all seem to get good and bad reviews. None seem to be terrible though. All appear to come with their own App to interface with, but all seem to also interface with GarageBand, the Ipad/Iphone app included with your Ipad when you buy it.

For my guitar plug interface, I went with the 'Jam Up' plug from Positive Grid. This unit is simple and inexpensive but seems to work well. I do wish that the unit was a little more sturdy as the molded plastic case is not the strongest item I've ever attached a guitar/emando cord to.

Plugging up the Jam Up Plug was easy, as it fits into the headphone port in the Ipad. From there, you simply plug in your guitar/emando cord and your headphones.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02209.jpg 
Views:	478 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	96338

When I first hooked up everything, I went to GarageBand. I selected one of the amps and began playing. It really was a lot of fun. The variety of digitally mimic'ed amplifiers is pretty impressive, and while I'm not by any means an amp expert, the 'copies' seem right on. GarageBand also comes with an impressive array of effects pedals to play with. To add one, you simply click on the empty spot in the pedal board and the available pedals appear. Click on one and your ready. For the bluesy rock type stuff I play on my emando, I used the 'blues crunch' amp with a delay pedal and a vintage crunch pedal. It had great sound and fit well with my playing.

Name:	DSC02210.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	96341

GarageBand is also capable of creating percussion, bass and other portions of music as tracks and looping them. It can also record your playing. Needless to say, it has a lot more capabilities than I'll figure out, or could write up here.

After playing with GarageBand, I added the 'Jam Up' app to my Ipad. Installation was quick and it is free (there is a pay version). This app is much like GarageBand, but decidedly guitar oriented, and much more limited in its selection of amps and effects.

Name:	DSC02212.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	149.0 KB 
ID:	96339

However, what 'Jam Up' seems to do well that I could not get GarageBand to do well is pull in any MP3 track and allow you to Jam over the top of that music. I play over 'backing tracks' all the time with Youtube playing over my computer speakers in my music/computer room, but that does not remotely compare to the sound you can create by setting the Jam Up app correctly. Getting the balance correct is quick and easy, and allows the electric mandolin to come through easily and seamlessly on the track. It sounds good!

Name:	DSC02211.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	96340

Hopefully, over the winter, I'll learn a lot more about using both apps in my Ipad, and maybe even record some music with both. I'll post it here if I'm daring enough....

If you've thought about trying this, I highly suggest it. Jamming with your Ipad gives you an opportunity to play without disturbing your family or housemates. It gives you the opportunity to have a better 'backing track' experience. I think it also allows you to test drive amps you've never played before to see what you like and don't like.

Give it a try, I think you'll enjoy it!
    Chinn A-style
    Chinn BluesBird Emando #1
    Aria M-300BG 2 Point
    Kay Model 68

Default Re: Emando Jamming With Your Ipad....

I recently discovered the JamUp app and I am also having a blast with it. I may even buy the "Pro" version, to have a set of effects with me when I'm on the road.
    I was delighted to find that my tiny Sonuus pitch-to-MIDI converter worked with the USB "Apple Camera Connection Kit" dongle. This is a really fun setup. I'm mostly acoustic these days, but I'm really finding this a lot of fun!
    Think globally, bike locally.

3. The following members say thank you to eadg145 for this post:

Musically Omnivorous tablaninja's Avatar

Nice! I also got my first iPad for Christmas. I mainly plan on using it for music applications/practicing/looping. I use the iRig interface and for a mic I bought the Apogee MiC, which sounds incredible for acoustic recordings. I don't have my electric mando built yet (i'm working on a Mooncaster Deluxe kit) but my Acoustic F does have K&K pickups in it. I had the Sonuus converter for about a week but I couldn't get it to play nice with double course strings. Does your emando actually work well with it??? I would buy another in a heartbeat cause my laptop/studio setup has some serious MIDI horsepower that would be great to control with mandolin.
    My practice setup has been to run through Amplitube or Jamup and then open a looper/slow downer app such as Beat Time, mimiCopy, Capo or Robick. The later does not have an ipad version yet. Although, I've been using the built in looper in JamUp more often.
    If you have MIDI control, ThumbJam or Animoog would make a great sound engine!
    And if you haven't heard about Audiobus, look into that app. It's a game changer and more and more apps are becoming compatible with it.
    One more, a bit pricey, but if you need a recording studio on your iPad, check out Auria!

5. The following members say thank you to tablaninja for this post:

Chinn 

I've found that the Sonuus device works "okay" after meticulous tuning, but for MIDI control I've had best success with a 4-string electric mandolin. (A bass worked well, too!). The Sonuus works well as an analog input as well, for things like JamUp.

Based on your recommendation, I've started to look into Audiobus. I've always thought it would be great if I could combine the iMS-20 and iElectribe apps (also JamUp!), and it seems like now I can! This will be great if it works as advertised.

To be honest, though, I really appreciate the joy of being fully acoustic and just playing. I save the electronics for travel.
    Think globally, bike locally.

This looks like a lot of fun. I might have to look into getting an iRig for my iPad.

rm