Thread: Gibson Mandolins 2013

Default Gibson Mandolins 2013

I had a gentleman at a music store inform me that Gibson is no longer making mandolins in their nashville facility. He says they are only coming out of the Custom Shop now and will be fewer in numbers. Can anyone corraborate or disprove this information? Seems like a big claim and a big move for Gibson, but I know the flood in nashville took it's toll and may have inspired some changes. Any information welcomed. Thanks

Default Re: Gibson Mandolins 2013

I heard that too

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well ..... I'm curious about this too. I can't say that it would surprise me either way. Gibson is and will always be a business. If an item has insufficient sales to support production a business can't afford to produce that product and stay in business. A Duh here folks.... Mandolin players at this point in time are not common to a household. As they were in the early 20th century. There are also more mandolins being manufactured, albeit in mostly small facilities, for the hgh end market than ever before. The low end market has been seized by overseas manufacturers. Mandolins don't really wear out and if properly cared for can live for years. All of the above " take a bite" out of the current mandolin market. Maybe Big Joe or someone in the know will chime in on this one...... We shall see...
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I thought they had been doing this for a long time.

I heard the same thing from a store owner and dealer who had recently been to the factory.

Not saying this is true, or confirmed or not, but he said that they hadn't been making them for a few years.
    All the "new" models are old stock, possibly refinished and re-set-up (once again, according to him)

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but mandolin production was done by Gibson OAI located in the Opry Mills Mall before the flood. They were in the process of relocating to the Custom Shop when the flood hit. As far as I know the Opry Mills facility was never reopened. Dave Harvey was and is still in charge of mandolins and I'm pretty sure they are currently making new mandolins. Check out his facebook page.
    I remember him posting a photo of a mandocello that his group made back in Jan. 2012
    Marc B.

Wow, I guess I'm not the only one. Seemed lately to me that the popularity of the mandolin was rising, perhaps thats just because I am a newcomer to the mandolin world. It would be a shame to see a company like Gibson stop making mandolins, I can only assume this will make their value increase.

Because of the recession I have noticed many guitar companies have changed market strategies. They used to build stock models to create an inventory to sell wholesale to retailers who bought them because they could move them. Now, some of the manufacturers have changed to a "no inventory" strategy, only building the instruments as they are ordered. Essentially, the market has shifted to a custom order strategy because so few were buying and no one want excess inventory on the shelf. They will sell fewer units, but at "custom order prices" in order for the company to survive. Workers , however, likely were thinned in the process of course.

I think mandos are indeed hot right now and sales are likely to pick up eventually. But most initial buyers will buy entry pac rims and it will take a few years for the secondary effect for those who stick with it to want higher end US models.

Gibson is making mandolins at the custom shop in Nashville. They have been making them at the custom shop since they re-tooled after the Nashville flood. They are not currently making A models or anything below the F5G model. They have no plans to stop making mandolins. The mandolins they are producing right now are consistently great instruments.
    Dennis Vance
    The Mandolin Store
    www.themandolinstore.com

10. The following members say thank you to The Mandolin Store for this post:

I hated when they did not reopen the shop there at Opry Mills after the flood. I used to love to stand there and watch the guys working on them.

Any company that's been around as long as Gibson has had to continually make business adjustments in order to survive.

As Dennis mentions above, they are currently focusing on the higher end mandolins. And from the lack of inventory available, they seem to be selling as fast as they are making them. Not a bad position to be in.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

Blog Entries

A banjo player I know with an old Mastertone decided to buy a new spare. He called around to some dealers and was told they are unavailable. That was in November. I assumed it was wrong but struck me as odd.
    '20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

I do not think Gibson has made any banjos since the flood. My guess is they will not make banjos in the future.

Here in So Cal and in my San Diego area I have noticed huge changes in the mandolin world. Buffalo Bros is one of the most high end guitar shops in America and for many years they had a fantastic inventory of hi end mandolins. But no more. I would go in the shop just a few years ago and there would be four or five Collings MF-5 mandolins on the wall! Plus hi end Weber s and Breedlove and all the rest! They also also had a good inventory of great vintage stuff like old Gibson A type mandolins. While they still have a great selection of the best guitars in the world all the cool mandolins have gone away. I think it really says something about the market and the popularity of mandolins in general. Also another store located in San Diego owned by Buffalo Bros has stopped selling hi end mandolins. I think in a few years there will be a mandolin boom again. A store can't have a wall of mandolins that just hang there for years and years.. I bought my Weber Fern at Buffalo Bros. in 2003. The wall was full of Weber mandolins at that time.
    ntriesch

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Triesch View Post
    Here in So Cal and in my San Diego area I have noticed huge changes in the mandolin world. Buffalo Bros is one of the most high end guitar shops in America and for many years they had a fantastic inventory of hi end mandolins. But no more. ....
    Interesting observation...clearly the mandolin and banjo worlds are much more susceptible to "saturation" (be it transient or longer term) than the guitar world.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I too miss the Opry Mills facility. What a wonderful place it was. I told my wife and kids to go to the mall and have fun and if you need me I'll be right here. Several hours later they all came back and there I was It seemed that they were only gone for short time.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

I don't think this is a bad thing, I just think things go in and out and then back into popularity. I remember about 30 years ago I went into Buffalo Bros ( Had a different name back then, same owners.) to look at mandolins and there were only a few on the wall. Can't even remember what they were. But at that time there were no Collings, Weber s, or much of anything on the wall for mandolins. Maybe a Gibson and a few vintage Martin and Gibson. Guitars will always be in demand. You can sing with them where with mandolin it is kind of hard.
    ntriesch

I talked with dave at the gibson booth at ibma and they had about 6 mandolins there and a waiting list for them.i asked him if they couldn'd bring more from the factory and he told me the ones on the wall were all they had and are behind on orders. p.s. i also see some great mandolins coming from gibson ,keep up the good work david ,scottie

Blog Entries

Note the Janet Davis in classifieds. Says Gibson banjos and doneos currently unavailable.
    '20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

Over on www.banjohangout.org/archive/231577it is commonly discussed how Gibson hasn't made a banjo since the flood with no plans to start anytime soon.
    My Youtube Channel: http://bit.ly/1F9sJ8G

"Over on www.banjohangout.org/archive/231577it is commonly discussed how Gibson hasn't made a banjo since the flood with no plans to start anytime soon."

Actually, banjo production ended -before- the flood, and some of the banjo-making employees were let go...

Does anyone have an idea of monthly or yearly production over at Gibson for their mandolins?
    Gibson F5G
    Kentucky km-600
    20+ electric guitars, banjos, bass guitars, and a fiddle

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmalmsteen View Post
    Does anyone have an idea of monthly or yearly production over at Gibson for their mandolins?
    Thread Bump: I know it's over 3 years old, but it's Sat night and I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go...

My estimation based on tracking inventory from TMS, Janet Davis; and from David Harvey's Facebok postings is that Gibson is currently producing about 60-75 per year.
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

25. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post: