Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin tips for a violinist? :)

Default Mandolin tips for a violinist? :)

Haiiiyaa ^_^
    I've been playing violin for 8 years and got a mandolin for xmas yaay C: It's not going too bad as my left hand pretty much knows what to do (except for chords of course), I'm just trying to get used to this pick thing ;3 I've researched and I know I'm holding it correctly, I just need some tips because I'm having a bit of trouble x_x Picking both strings (two) at once is a little difficult, especially when doing 'up' picking. I need to get more control and though I don't really want to sit there doing picking exercises all day, that's probably what I'll need to be doing wahh ._. How should I lay my wrist? and my fingers are sore because the strings are thicker ;_; ahh well better suck it up ^.^ But yes if anyone (especially violin players) could give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated! :D

Default Re: Mandolin tips for a violinist? :)

Welcome to the wonderful world of mandolin. I too am a violin convert and the hardest thing for me to get used to was the picking hand as well. The best advice I can give you is keep working at it. Start slow to make sure you are striking both strings with a pleasing tone. Play scales with repeated notes (ex. 8). It takes a while. I'm sure you will get many tips here. I'd be happy to share more if you'd like to PM me.

Again, welcome!

Blog Entries

It's definitely not a violin. If you played bass or cello it'd feel more normal in terms of spacing. So apart from having a general feel for where the notes are fretted you need to let go and accept it's a new instrument. With no sustain you can use unless the right hand makes it happen.

So deep breath. Using the new importance and subtelty of that right hand, biting the bullet and realising it's a chordal as well as melody instrument from which you'll have to pull all the nuances you thought you had down with the violin, but without a bow;then you're there. It's a journey and one well worth making. All new, but somehow familiar. Just don't expect it to be a freebie transfer, it's definitely not. Is it worth the few years ahead?
    . Definitely. You'll be awesome in a few years!

Oh yeah. you need to push through the strings to the next course, then you know you've got threm. Down and through and up and through.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Thank you so much!
    Beanzy I understand that it's a new instrument, I don't expect a free ride trust me :3 By 'not going too bad' I mean I can sit here and kinda get some tunes out without feeling like the world is crashing down hahaa c: And with mandolin being a chordal and melody instrument, like you said, makes me want to learn it even more ^^ But thank you, I'll give it a shot :D

Layer of Complexity Kevin Knippa's Avatar

I played the violin for 35 years before I took up mandolin, though I did play some guitar.

One thing to realize is that the mandolin can be tough on your left hand, especially the fingertips. Work on finding just the right amount of pressure to make a pleasing sound rather than thinking you need a deathgrip. If the instrument is setup well, you can still have as free a left hand as you are used to from the violin. As you attempt to pick notes more quickly with the right hand, you will probably experience a tendency to tighten the left hand. Slow practice, working for a tone that pleases you, will help to resist that tendency.

As KristinEliza stated, pick through the strings to find a full tone; be deliberate about it, don't worry about upstrokes until you can produce good even downstrokes with a full sound. Mike Marshall (who started out on violin, too) has a great video on YouTube that talks about holding the instrument and pick for good tone. His way is certainly not the only way, but it seems to serve more. players well, than not.

Unless you are attempting to play in German or Italian classical styles, try different picks. You will probably have more success with a heavier pick than a thin one. Heavier picks seem to produce fuller tone, in my experience, but start off with a good setup so that you do not develop bad habits to trying to make a pleasing sound with difficult-to-play instrument.

Good luck.

Carpe Mandolinium

Conceptually (not quite literally), on the mandolin try to move your right wrist the way you move your right shoulder with the violin.
    == JOHN ==

Music washes away from the soul the dust of every day life.

--Berthold Auerbach

That makes so much sense I play guitar a bit too but the steel strings are so hard on my fingers and I didn't want to toughen them up in case they affected violin D: And now that you mention it, my left hand does tighten up when I pick quicker. Normally I think I'm picking bad, but then realise I need to press my fingers down harder, then everything tenses and it hurts XD And I really do need to consider my pick more, I'm just using one I found lying around (oopssss x_X) When I go to pick up my case I'll get everything sorted. But hopefully when I get a better pick the sound will be a bit nicer. I'll check out his video too Thanks heaps! C:

John McCoy, I can see how that would work hehee just need to get my head around it ^.^ thanks!

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well I went from Mandolin to violin....... the calluses developed from playing mandolin won't harm your violin playing. Yes a bow is not a pick. One of my mantras.... Back and forth down up down up picking is the first habit to get into. Playing through the string so you get a full tone. Fiddle tunes are the Haytudes, sorry, of Blue Grass mandolin playing , if you want jazz see Jethro Burns' book from Mel Bay. One of the things that you have to watch out for in mandolin playing is over gripping .. both the pick, if you don't drop it once in awhile you are holding it too tightly and the chording hand, either will cause stress , ruin fluidity in your playing and long term cause injury. As in violin a good set up is extremely important. On a violin a bad set up makes it hard to get good tone with a mandolin it makes it alnost impossible to play. Have another mandolin player or teacher check yours out. Luck... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Blog Entries

Get a head start on your mandolin callouses and dip the tips of your fingers in alcohol once or twice a day until they get were your want them. A quick dip and dry is all that is necessary.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    Well I went from Mandolin to violin....... the calluses developed from playing mandolin won't harm your violin playing. Yes a bow is not a pick. One of my mantras.... Back and forth down up down up picking is the first habit to get into. Playing through the string so you get a full tone. Fiddle tunes are the Haytudes, sorry, of Blue Grass mandolin playing , if you want jazz see Jethro Burns' book from Mel Bay. One of the things that you have to watch out for in mandolin playing is over gripping .. both the pick, if you don't drop it once in awhile you are holding it too tightly and the chording hand, either will cause stress , ruin fluidity in your playing and long term cause injury. As in violin a good set up is extremely important. On a violin a bad set up makes it hard to get good tone with a mandolin it makes it alnost impossible to play. Have another mandolin player or teacher check yours out. Luck... R/
    Oh that's a relief! I've been trying that but I don't think I'll get any better until I get a new pick :P and hahahaaaa It's difficult to hold the pick lightly as to drop it, let alone to play like that D: And I probably am straining my left hand in an attempt to press the strings down hard enough XD gahhhh maybe time will help... I'll have a chat to the guy at the local music store as there isn't any mandolin players here at all really XD Thanks for the tips!

Quote Originally Posted by greg_tsam View Post
    Get a head start on your mandolin callouses and dip the tips of your fingers in alcohol once or twice a day until they get were your want them. A quick dip and dry is all that is necessary.
    Ooh I didn't think of that, I was just going to endure the pain XD thank you! :D

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jennn :3 x View Post
    ...I don't think I'll get any better until I get a new pick
    There's so many folks here who got old and grumpy while waiting for the pick that will make them better players... (8#

I came from violin myself ages ago, and I can tell you the one thing you can't avoid is to adapt to the harder work all your fingers will have to do on a mandolin:

- strings made from steel, not from the inside of a cat. So your fingers can't walk barefooted on those as they are used to, they'll be growing "shoes" (my left hand fingers are actually visibly longer than their right hand counterparts because of that).

- picking means stronger forces but shorter movements.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    There's so many folks here who got old and grumpy while waiting for the pick that will make them better players... (8#

I came from violin myself ages ago, and I can tell you the one thing you can't avoid is to adapt to the harder work all your fingers will have to do on a mandolin:

- strings made from steel, not from the inside of a cat. So your fingers can't walk barefooted on those as they are used to, they'll be growing "shoes" (my left hand fingers are actually visibly longer than their right hand counterparts because of that).

- picking means stronger forces but shorter movements.
    O_o... I guess what I mean is a more 'appropriate' pick. I don't in any means intend to use my equipment as an excuse for my inadequate playing. But I do believe that you cannot exceed the limitations your instrument puts on you. I'm trying to start on the better foot that's all haha. Thank you for your input though, the last bit helped, much appreciated.

Check out the free videos from the Master teacher Pete Martin at petimarpress.com

Don’t place it under your chin! Just messing, Great advice given here!

Optional: you can keep using rosin - to make the pick stick to your fingers.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by Jennn :3 x View Post
    I play guitar a bit too but the steel strings are so hard on my fingers and I didn't want to toughen them up in case they affected violin.
    I am not a violinist -- I am a fiddler, but before that I picked up guitar so I had no inkling that a hard callous would affect my fiddle playing.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Violin strings are not and likely never were made "from the insides of a cat".

This has been a friendly Public Service Announcement from a resident cat lover.

We now return you to the comments on the topic at hand.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

20. The following members say thank you to bratsche for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    Now don't spoil all the fun of keeping urban legends alive...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    Violin strings are not and likely never were made "from the insides of a cat".

This has been a friendly Public Service Announcement from a resident cat lover.

We now return you to the comments on the topic at hand.

bratsche
    So you're saying I should stop collecting the local stray cats in my area and my new business making strings is a bust? I was going to call it "The Cat's Meow String Store".
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

23. The following members say thank you to greg_tsam for this post:

Ahh, I've derailed the thread, I see.

I'd better offer an antidote of something constructive. My skills as a violinist have diminished quite a bit with the years, but as an ever-learning mandola player who also still wields a mean viola, I can certainly identify with one whose right hand is accustomed to using a bow more than a pick.

So, Jennn, my advice would be along these lines: Don't be overly dogmatic about how you hold it, or what shape or thickness of plectrum you use. Experiment as much as possible, practice slowly and deliberately, keep an open mind, and ultimately trust your instincts about what works well for you. A lot depends on what kind of music you are playing, and learning more than one way to use your picking hand is definitely a good thing. In fact, I would have never imagined where my own experimentations would lead me.

Best of luck!

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by greg_tsam View Post
    Can I just drink a few shots twice a day instead?
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!

Well at least the doubled unison course is broader combined than the single string on the guitar..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    Check out the free videos from the Master teacher Pete Martin at petimarpress.com
    Will do, thanks a lot!