Thread: Beck's new album

Default Beck's new album

See what you make of this idea, I think it's pretty great (via Daily Beast)

http://thebea.st/WQ4c2p

2. The following members say thank you to OldSausage for this post:

Default Re: Beck's new album

Great idea. I Just watched an Ansel Adams documentary. At one point, he explains why he decided to leave his negatives, or at least many of them, with a university (U AZ or ASU?). He alikens it to a composer who wrote music. The template is there, but it remains available to future generations to use, play and interpret. To use the negatives requires some level of skill and dedication to the craft of photography. I can imagine seeing/hearing a number of interpretations of the Beck album. I like it.

Dave

Blog Entries

I love the idea, am waiting on my copy to arrive.

Figure it is a template ... Might not play it perfectly straight, but it would be fun to take a tune with each group I am in and see what we can do with it.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

I LOVE BECK !

I have all his albums. Usually when I try to talk about his music, everyone thinks I'm talking of Jeff Beck.

Glad to see this Beck find favor here.

In terms of the concept, well it wont be a big pop or commercial hit. But he is beyond all that now. I like the idea. Music for musicians. Too bad I'm such a hack--I cant read sheet music. Maybe the cliff notes will have guitar tabs/ chord charts.

I always thought an interesting project would be to provide the backbone chord chart progression and lyrics of a tune and then give it out to the masses to see how they put the melody,vocals, tempo, beats in. You could come up with some interesting things and its all possible to do with the masses using Garage Band and the internet.

For instance on "Do WE? Yes We DO" this band has loads of talent. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgvse8VuRc4

But I'd like to hear it in double that tempo and with a little more soul. I can hear a Funk version, a Reggae version, a Blues version. How bout a New Grass version. A Tango.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc0fnEY89Co

Fun stuff !

I've done such collaborations in another guitar forum and it was fun. We ended up with 2 1/2 decent starts to songs.

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Holy Moly - I was wondering what to expect when i saw a thread titled "Beck's New Album".

Surely, it's not Beck Hansen?
    Probably some obscure mandolin playing 'Beck' i have not heard of yet?
    Or maybe someone has started doing mandolin covers of that beautiful Beck album 'Sea Changes'?

I like the idea for an album as opposed to a record... but whats the story with copyrights and performance?

Technically, bands have to pay a kind of royalty fee to play copyrighted music/covers, no?
    Or have i got that wrong?
    If i have not got that wrong - then is it the same deal with this album - that you buy the sheet music and then pay an additional fee if you play the music to an audience?

I don't know - but in general i have much respect for Beck's output - i don't see this idea as pretentious - and its got me asking questions - which, for me, is usually a good thing.

On second look--This concept Genius !

There are already so many utube posts of great artists doing all these songs--its worth making an album of them !

Who would have thought so many people would do these and post on utube?

Old time y flavored songs done in cutting edge medium. Beck is always good and always different. Gotta love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HNMISA4PiM

Highly Lonesome Marty Henrickson's Avatar

I think this is a great concept, and I may just get a copy, myself.
    Gibson Jam Master A-Standard #56
    Martin D-28 Clarence White #103
    Gallagher Doc Watson

www.instacanv.as/martyhenrickson

Art is concerned foremost with process...beck has always been involved with DIY experimentation, and here he is reaching deeply into several bags--to make the consummate anti-industry statement

Cutting edge/atavistic...music "production" in the digital milieu of facebook society, et al. Refreshing, inspiring, subversive

This is very Luddite of him - but in a very cool way. and yes, subversive! I may have to get it.

hmmm... I think a Beck/Jeff Beck collaboration would be very interesting

Here's the link to the album site, songreader.net, with versions of the songs that others have made:

http://songreader.net/

Blog Entries

The thing is, I want the music first and do NOT want to hear anyone else's versions until I have figured my own out.

I guess I see it like a book/movie thing .... I want to read the book (work out and primitively record my own version) before I hear anyone else's interpretation (see the movie).

If I change mine after hearing others version, great ... But I want the chance for my own vision first. Poor and stumbling it may be, but its mine.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    The thing is, I want the music first and do NOT want to hear anyone else's versions until I have figured my own out.
    Then don't listen to any of this...

This whole project is absolute genius...

Blog Entries

I won't, but I will be bookmark that along with quite a lot if things for later.

I enjoyed making my own album cover with 'the information' disc, but this is music to have a deep personal experience with on so many levels.

I am a very happy long-term fan.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

I went to go buy the book/music, and I can't find it anywhere. Completely sold out! And not available for months!

It wasn't released that long ago was it?

Sorta reminds me of my youth --- as early piano lesson kids, when Mom took us to Fort Wayne shopping, we always went to the downtown 5 & dime store. They had a music section in the middle of the store that sold ONLY sheet music. They also provided a pleasant lady and a piano. Select the new song you wanted to buy, take it to the lady and she would play it for you, then you decide to buy or not. Sometimes we were her only "customers", so she would play everything we wanted to hear.
    Thanks, great memories over 60+ years!
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by jackmalonis View Post
    I went to go buy the book/music, and I can't find it anywhere. Completely sold out! And not available for months!

It wasn't released that long ago was it?
    Try Barnes & Noble.com - they say "usually available in 1-2 weeks" online, and they have it in stock at quite a few of their locations, including at least one in Austin.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    See what you make of this idea, I think it's pretty great (via Daily Beast)

http://thebea.st/WQ4c2p
    That is very cool. Putting music back in the hands of the people.

Parlour musicians unite!!