I am looking to teach the following workshop near Greensboro, NC in February or March? Would anyone be interested and/or know of a church, school or club that would be interested in hosting? This would be a Saturday event between 5 and 6 hours longer...times may vary on the number of participants. If this is of interest, please contact me off list at 330-221-6404 . Thanks so much! ~Brett

"Break Free"

Acoustic Workshop!
2 Workshops in One!
"I just attended on of Brett's workshops at Dulcimer Days in Coshocton. I learned more in one hour with Brett than I learned in a 3 day workshop in Gettysburg, Pa. I am very pleasedwith his easy and to-the-point teaching methods. I'll be attending many more of his workshops in the future. Kudos to you, Brett for a great workshop!" - Karen, OH

This is a fun and unique two-part workshop open to all acoustic stringed instruments including acoustic guitar, clawhammer or bluegrass banjo, hammered dulcimer, mountain dulcimer, mandolin, fiddle etc.

"Diddling, Noodling, & Jigging-Learning to Play by Ear"

"Does anyone have the music for..." (cringe) FREE YOURSELF and your dependency of reading music, standard notation or tab to learn a tune! This is definitely our largest and most requested workshop! Using traditional Celtic techniques, virtually anyone can learn to play any instrument by ear, they just don't know it, or know how to do it, and are often surprised at their ability to do so! Noodling and diddling, also called jigging, lilting, dowdling are excellent tools in learning to play the hammered dulcimer, Appalachian dulcimer, banjo, fiddle, guitar...or any instrument for that matter! This is a HANDS-ON workshop for all instruments and will help you to learn and understand your instrument from the inside out! Using simple ear training exercises, playing a simple scale and you will be picking out tunes-by ear- by the end of this workshop! You will surprise yourself! I have used these techniques several times in my workshops and one-on-one teaching and the most often exclaimed phrase is, "I can't believe I can do this!!!" Whether you read music or not, learning to play by ear is a helpful skill and yes, can be learned in this workshop! Level: All Levels; All Instruments

“Surviving a Jam” or "Playing Well with Others!"

Has there ever been a time that you wanted to join in on a jam, but found the idea of making it through one too intimidating? Have you ever joined a jam, only to find yourself lost and not able to keep up? Come learn tips that are so simple yet valuable techniques that will help you maneuver through the next jam with ease and enjoyment. Learn to anticipate chord changes, understanding chords and key changes, keeping time, jam etiquette and how to "mess up well"! It only takes a few tips and a little practice and you’ll be well on your way to becoming a proficient jammer! This is a hands-on workshop so bring your instrument! Level: All levels and instruments.

Total cost of BOTH workshops is only $45 and includes all hand-outs, personal instruction, a very fun time, and the freedom to play!

If you have any questions, or if I can be of further help, please contact me by phone at 330-221-6404 or email at fbridgeway@juno.com.

BRETT'S BIO:

Brett's philosophy is that "anyone can make music, regardless of age, musical ability or knowledge!” Brett teaches several workshops throughout the tri-state area and on an almost daily basis at a local music store, a private school, and a Fine Arts Center. He currently teaches hammered dulcimer, mountain dulcimer, bluegrass banjo, clawhammer banjo, beginner acoustic guitar and mandolin. He and his wife also conduct the "Olde Tyme String Band Jam Workshop" the first Friday of each month at the GitterPicker String Factory. Brett has authored and marketed a series of instructional CDs that display his friendly method of teaching the hammered dulcimer. He has been a featured teacher and performer at the Roscoe Village “Dulcimer Days Festival" in Coshocton, Ohio and is one of the founders of the revamped "Coshocton Dulcimer Festival". Brett and his wife Serenity tour the tri-state area promoting traditional American music as “Homestead Creek”. Brett has released four recordings; the latest CD entitled “Homestead Creek”. Additionally, an original composition written and performed by Brett Ridgeway is featured in the soundtrack of “The Path of the Wind”, a 2010 which features Wilford Brimley.