Thread: Need an amp

Default Need an amp

Looking for an amp for a mando with a piezo. Anybody have experience=recommendations? Cheap=good I will have to carry this around quite a bit and be heard over drums/solidbody guitars and basses so light and loud is also good.

Default Re: Need an amp

If I were buying one for acoustic piezo in small venues, I would get the Fishman Loudbox (300 bucks new and lots of modern features because its a new offering). My band mate has one and I'm jealous of its weight. Its also good for vocals (2 inputs and an aux). It travels well-- very light, portable, and rugged.

Roland is another good choice and they are easier to find used for less as they have been around awhile.

I have a California Blonde which is a great sounding acoustic amp and very rugged but its very heavy. They are expensive new but have been around awhile and so can be found used in the less than 400 dollar price range. The Strawberry Blond is light and cheaper but not as good sounding.

If money was no object, I would get an AER. They are highest quality and very light but pretty pricey.

The amps listed in the other thread above seem mostly to be tube amps. I love tubes and have several for electric guitar. But for acoustic piezo, I would go with the more travel friendly and less expensive solid state options.

Blog Entries

I would also recommend the Fishman Loudbox (all varieties). Not as cheap as some, but thoroughly pro-grade units and they are very reliable. Very clean sound. Plenty of volume - even the 'mini' (60w) should do what you want without problems.

Typical tube amps are good to get that 'electric' sound from magnetic pickups - but very, very few have cabinet designs and dual drivers with a crossover (LF + HF speakers) capable of delivering a more 'natural' acoustic sound. Proper 'acoustic' amps are.

Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

i went with the pro $500 and I am happy with it, I wanted one with two phantom power channels , the weight and size is also a big plus.

The Loudbox Mini serves me well. I can carry it, my mando, and a big bag of music/gear all in one trip.

I like how it sounds and it seems to be well made. I've had mine about 9 months and play is at least once weekly, sometimes more.

I have a K&K pickup, running into a belt mounted pre amp from Pick Up The World. I also use it with my Taylor guitar.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

Roland AC 60 & 90, have a piezo/magnetic input selector on the instrument channel.
    I have the 60 it has a padded bag with a shoulder strap.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

As far as weight goes, I use a Roland Micro Cube with my Fender "E" type mando. It has a "line out" feature or you can simply mic it into the PA.....and it weighs like 5 lbs. I have to add that I haven't tried with a piezo set up yet --perhaps someone else has and can speak as to the sound.
    ~John
    Kentucky KM-150
    Fender SM-52E
    Burton A-style
    Rogue A-style
    Vintage Kintail Great Highland Pipes
    Irish Warpipes
    Piper's Choice Smallpipes in "A"

Okay, I'm with you fellas tburcham's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Loudbox Artist has served me very well. You've got combo inputs (XLR and 1/4 inch plug) and phantom power on both channels which gives you lots of versatility. Excellent sound quality and power.
    Tim Burcham
    Northfield Big Mon (Red Spruce/Red Maple)
    Gibson F-9 Custom
    1942 Strad-O-Lin
    1948-54 Gibson LG-3
    2011 Gibson J-45 True Vintage
    2017 Martin HD-28 VTS Custom Shop
    Bailey Mandolin Straps (NFI)
    Bell Arm-rests (NFI)

I really like my ZT Lunchbox Acoustic. Light, small plenty of power, line and XLR channels, phantom power, effects send and receive.
    more info here -
    http://www.ztamplifiers.com/products..._acoustic.html

One other consideration is that a full range speaker like the yamaha http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DXR8/ which could double as a PA also though your eq would have to be provided my something a like a Baggs para DI or Venue and no effects. I have both and older Fishman loudbox performer with the metal grill and a pair of the Yamaha DX 8s. They sound very very good. I also have an Acoustic image amp which sound very good though I like it better for the guitar than the mandolin. How do you like the lunchbox mjb128wv? I was out to buy one last month but could not find one locally and the loudbox was on clearance because of a small tolex tear for 200 bucks off so I bought it.

I don't have one, but I've played through a couple Fender Acoustasonics owned by friends. The newer ones (made in the past couple years) are much lighter than the earlier ones. Good sound, more features than I realistically would need. Decent price.

I bought a floor model of a Schertler Unico a few years ago, and have loved it ever since. They pop up on Craigslist and eBay every so often, and might be worth a look-out for.

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Roland AC 60 & 90, have a piezo/magnetic input selector on the instrument channel.
    I have the 60 it has a padded bag with a shoulder strap.
    I have enjoyed the AC60 for years now. It's great as a PA for most of my gigs. I utilize a large diaphragm condenser and just go to it. It also serves me well on larger stages, can go line out to PA and use as personal monitor. Have also plugged MP3 player and used as stereo for parties. Fits on a speaker stand so you can get that sound up and out! Yep, a fine solution.

Alden, Minnesota, 12 miles west of where I-90 and I-35 cross in Southern, Minnesota

If you can, go for the AER. Two of my friends in Tanglefoot, now in My Sweet Patotie, swear by them. Terry used his for mandolin, banjo, and guitar, while Sandra used hers for violin and viola. They are expensive, but seem to last quite well.
    "Put your hands to the wood
    Touch the music put there by the summer sun and wind
    The rhythms of the rain, locked within the rings
    And let your fingers find The Music in the Wood."
    Joe Grant and Al Parrish (chorus from The Music in the Wood)

16. The following members say thank you to David Rambo for this post: