Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tone-Gard

I've used a Tone Gard for a couple of years and love it. #Only problem: #those rubber feet/protectors occasionally fall off. #I've lost one. #

Any suggestions for keeping them on? #I tried some kind of glue which didn't work....

If I may I would like to say I've thought, asked and looked hard to find the best materials for the Tone-Gard. The tubing that is on it is natural rubber because it has no "polymers" like plastic and surgical rubber tubing that soften and eat away finishes. I've included sheets, stickers FAQ's, everything I know to do about maintenance. Because the rubber is natural it deteriorates and makes black marks on clothing. This can be stopped by using wax on the rubber on the spring arms once a year. It just seals the rubber again. I don't use automotive wax. I use instrument wax or Pledge on the RUBBER, rubbed in with the fingers. Once a year is all it takes. I don't recommend the Tone-Gard for varnish because it's soft, not because it "eats" the finish. There are a lot of players of varnished instruments who use it who say it does less damage than their shirts, buttons and zippers and are more worried about tone. Thanks all for your support of the Tone-Gard, your the only reason I make them. Happy Holidays!

I'm late getting in on this one but its real simple if you want more volume, better tone and better protection for the back of your mandolin buy a Tone-Gard, if you dont....

Tony...
    Can I repaint my Tone-gard? I have several places where the black paint is coming off....Sort of adds character but I think a purple one might add even more character!
    I never wanted them all, Just the ones I wanted.....

Please feel free, it's your gard. I intended the Tone-Gard to be maintained by the owner. The thing that I worry about is mods / no maintanence and when it doesn't work out they publicly blame me/the gard. I use Krylon and to do a real nice job you need to take ALL the old paint off along with the rubber parts. The rubber tubing is 7/64" RUBBER automotive tubing that all auto parts stores stock. To make the pads you super glue black permanently dyed suede leather to the same rubber tube. And if you want them to stay on permantly take super glue and put some in the slit and glue it to the gard. Be warned, have it in the right position and it will be a mess if you ever want to re-position or re-paint! I hope this is ok Scott T. as my intention is not to peddle my wares here, just offering some tips.

Tony...You make a great product! Thanks for the reply and hope you have a great holiday season!
    I never wanted them all, Just the ones I wanted.....

..I second that Ben..thanks alot Tony

Quote Originally Posted by (TonyP. @ Dec. 09 2003,17:04)
    To make the pads you super glue black permanently dyed suede leather to the same rubber tube.
    Pads? What pads? I have two ToneGards (luv 'em, btw). I see metal and rubber tube thingies, but no pads.

Hey, did I get cheated? I ain't got no steeeenking pads!
    J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

oops, sorry, "gard guards", the rubber and leather guards that go around the outside hoop of the Tone-Gard and keep the metal hoop from contacting the back of the mandolin, thooose stinking pads.

Uh... I still don't understand. Do you just mean the rubber tubing that goes on the sections that clamp the thing to the instrument? Or is there something else in addition to this?
    J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

..there should be little strips of black leather glued to the pieces of tubing...thats what actually comes in contact with the back of your mando...did you buy this Gard used?.....Im sure Tony would make it right if he mistakenly sent yours to you not quite right....

I remember selling J Mark at least one gard and I KNOW it had "gard guards" on it. As head cook and bottle washer I do everything and no gard leaves without guards. Besides the rubber on the "arms", spaced around the outside of the Tone-Gard are the gard guards/pads that keep the metal gard from touching the back of the mando. Unless they were taken off, the gard was delivered with them.

..Im sure there is a logoical reason for this.....

You know, it could well be that I'm just too stooopid to know. I never take the thing off. Maybe I should take it off and see what's there. I'm sure that gard-gards must be there... I just must have never noticed them. I'll look when I get home (oh, boy, something to do!). <g>

Thanks, Tony. And thanks for making such a fine product.

Mark
    J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

Tony - just to clarify, you're talking about the flat surface attached to the rubber tubing on the holding "arms," right?
    FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata

Ahh, ok, now I see. The little thingies attached to the little thingies. The gardgardgards. I never noticed them before.

Needless to say, I don't notice much. I'm too busy trying to make sure I always know where my head is.

Sorry.
    J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

In keeping with one pic is worth 1k words, I present for your approval "Anatomy of a Tone-Gard"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GardPartsJPG.JPG 
Views:	334 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	683  

Uh... what are "rays"?

You know, the Pentagon may be interested in that drawing....
    J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

Quote Originally Posted by
    Uh... what are "rays"? #
    Those are those things they put all those bans on.

You know Ray bans #

(He said while ducking)

GVD
    GVD

Well, this is as good a place as any to add my first comment.

I played Matt Fox's Tone-Gard encased mandolin and was quite impressed. I recently got one for my Ratliff RA-5 and I was amazed at how much louder and clearer the sound was. It is a wonderful product and it works like a charm. It is everything Tony says it is and more. It will be the best $65.00 you can spend on your mandolin. It is great!

LJ

Registered Person

Tony, do you make them for an octave mandolin yet? I have a Freshwater octave mandola.

On my website I have just a sampling of what I've done over the years. I've made gards for all of the mandolin family, mandolin, mandola, mandocello, octave mandolin, mandoban*o, mandodobro, autoharp even uke's and everything in between! Now I've got a good design for guitar with 2 of them on the website. The D size guitar will be like the 000Gard. I say this to demonstrate that there is no "yet". If you are sure you want a Tone-Gard I will work with you, please email me off list. Again I thank you all for your support.

My wife gave me one of these for Christmas, albeit a few days early and it is amazing the difference it makes. Very impressive item. She got me the Art Deco style. Highly recommended!!
    Go Vandals!

Just installed my Tone Gard on my A-9. Love the difference it makes. Getting a much deeper, woodier tone and more volume than without it. 100% satisfied customer!!
    Gibson A-9
    Fender FM-63
    Gibson A-12
    (Just for starters.......)

I installed one on my new fern It does make some difference but I'm still trying it. I'm not sure it helps this mandolin that much. Plus it got a black stuff (light) all over belly of my yellow shirt when we played last week.