Thread: Backup

Default Backup

Anyone recommend strums on open chords to back up one vocalist and guitar? The guitar is on the quiet side so I'm looking for something that doesn't overpower it (in this case not looking to chop either). Various types of music but mainly old timey, folk or slower bluegrass ballads.

Default Re: Backup

Let me rephrase this. I am comfortable with most basic strumming patterns but find a lot of them overabrasive at times. Looking to soften things up a little.

Do what the guitar player is Not doing. If he/she is playing basic rhythms, play some fills ... If the guitar is l playing a lot of bass walks and fills, play basic rhythm. Listen to some Skaggs and Rice and Skaggs/Whitley
    Jean

Pair of 96 Flatiron Fs

Listen to Compton/Grier or Compton/Newberry too. And I would add it depends on what you and your partner like to hear. There's plenty of room between spare and busy for you to do things. You have picking hand and fretting hand options. On the picking hand, a straight 1/2/3/4 downstroke-on-every-beat is possibly one of the simplest beats. You can vary that up in a hundred ways. On the fretting hand you have fills, bass runs (yes, they're not as low as an actual bass but they get heard), chromatic chord walks, chromatic notes, counter melodies and harmonies.
    Lost on the trails of The Deep North

5. The following members say thank you to Fred Keller for this post:

In this type of situation, I often pick patterns using the chord notes, do little tremolo fills, some double stops - anything to add a little movement and interest in the background.
    Mitch Russell

Open strings, crosspicking, arpeggios....
    Elrod
    Gibson A2 1920(?)
    Breedlove Cascade
    Washburn 215(?) 1906-07(?)
    Victoria, B&J, New York(stolen 10/18/2011)
    Eastwood Airline Mandola

guitars:
    Guild D-25NT
    Vega 200 archtop, 1957?

Awesome guys. This is exactly what I was looking for. I was really wanting to see what others do. Thanks again

Blog Entries

Crosspicking is my standard 'filler' or bedding for others to use.
    It's good brain exercise too so I don't drift off like I would strumming.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Less is more when backing up a vocalist. The vocalist should be out front and backup should be supportive of the vocals. Single notes should be fills -- fill the spaces between. You and the guitarist should be unified in backup -- I like the concept of playing what the guitarist is not, but also knowing when not to play. There may be times when each of you want to drop out and let the other take over. Also dynamics are important. Bottom line: use your ears. If you are rehearsing, record and listen to what it sounds like.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Dec-07-2012 at 10:56am.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead -- '83 Flatiron A5-2 -- Brentrup A4C -- 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin -- Huss & Dalton DS -- 1939 Gibson L-00 -- 1936 Epiphone Deluxe -- 1928 Gibson L-5 -- 1937 Gibson L-Century -- ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo -- ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo -- ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo -- National RM-1

A high-pitched, tensioned, stringy mandolin sounds abrasive? Well, I never...

What the learned folks have said above. Hold yer pick loosely and play with taste. And don't play too hard.

Monroe, toward the end of his time down here on earth, did an interview and talked about a new tune he had written. He said a bass would be all that you'd need, maybe a guitar..."If he was quiet with it...". That right there is a gem, and applies to the abrasion issue.

12. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    ... Also dynamics are important.
    A quiet double-stop tremolo (that is, 2 notes of the current chord), swelling up from barely perceptible and then down again, can be a breathtaking accompaniment. But only on occasion - once it becomes expected, it loses a lot.
    - Ed

"What our group lacks in musicianship is offset by our willingness to humiliate ourselves." - David Hochman

Carpe Mandolinium

If you just want a softer tone on straight strumming, put down the pick and use your nails or fingertips.
    == JOHN ==

Music washes away from the soul the dust of every day life.

--Berthold Auerbach