Thread: A visit to Mandolin Brothers

Registered User Justus True Waldron's Avatar

Default A visit to Mandolin Brothers

So today I decided that as someone who both takes mandolin playing seriously and lives in NY (albeit three hours upstate from the city) it was high time I visit Mandolin Brothers. Left after breakfast at my favorite diner in town and cruised down to manhattan - my original plan was to come back there afterwords and spend some more time in Rudy's Soho. I'd never been on the Staten Island ferry before, but found it easy enough - and then the good stuff happened. After several years of playing music all the time I guess it shouldn't surprise me when I make random connections - but it still does. Literally 2 minutes after I stepped on the boat I had a guy see me with my case and call out to me. I could see he had an instrument too, and on closer inspection it was a banjo - a nechville banjo! He was fairly new at it, but we picked tunes on the ferry all the way to the island and had a lot of fun. I told him I had no idea how I was getting to mandolin brothers and he said not to worry - he was getting picked up by banjo rep and overall wizard Marc Horowitz! Sure enough he was, and Marc was nice enough to give me a ride all the way there, talking about John Monteleon and how he once owned the second Grand Artist mandolin in existence. Entered Mando Brothers and met Stan right off the bat, then dived into to playing mandolins. I focused on the octaves/mandolas/mandocellos as I'd probably buy one before another mandolin, I love mine so much. I liked the weber F model octave, but the 2 point model they have really took the cake - clean and clear, with chords that could ring for days! Actually, the first mandolin room I went in had banjos all over the wall - talk about artificial sustain! It was a trip - I'm thinking I need to get a wall of banjos to put in my practice space now! I thought the collings mandola they have was really easy to play, and good for leads, but again the weber mandola sounded great with chords. As if that wasn't enough to put thoughts of killing my house down payment fund down the drain I entered one of the guitar rooms. I'm not much of a guitar guy, but they have a Bourgeoisie there with adirondack spruce top, slope sholders and a sunburst... pretty much everything I like in a guitar! Spent a good time playing and drooling over that (not literally!) Finally, I spent some time playing the 1925 Gibson Fern they have. Lands alive is that thing ever easy to play! I've played several Loars that were killer, and one or two that seemed to be sleeping.. but this was a whole other animal all together. Super focused, and the notes just seemed to explode from under my fingers the second they pressed the strings down. I picked a couple tunes with a couple guitar guys that were in the room, including a version of Tennessee waltz that probably didn't rival the Thile/Eldridge version, but was quite fun to play nonetheless. I think I may have ticked Stan off slightly by sweating a bit while playing it - I'm sorry but I can play on stage in front of hundreds of people without a twinge of fright, but with one guy (Stan) standing over me with hawk eyes the whole time I couldn't quite have that composure. A quick wipe down with a rag and all was good however... The best part was switching back to my own mandolin to pick another tune or two before I left. That Fern was mighty juicy, but every time I pick up my own mando I fall in love all over again. I'm happy to be able to rest in peace now knowing that my mandolin, while different in some ways, can hold a candle to a Fern, and there are things I can do - and sounds I can get out of it - that I just can't get out of anything else. I ended up spending so much time at the store that there was no hope of me making Rudy's before they closed, but I didn't really care at that point either. I picked my mandolin on the outside deck of the ferry all the way back, looking over at the lights on the NY harbor, and called it a day. All in all it was an excellent music filled adventure, as they always seem to be! Not sure why I'm writing this other than I have too much residual driving energy left and thought I'd share my mandolin brothers experience. The best part is now I get to go to bed and wake up tomorrow and spend the day playing the amazing instruments I already have! I might even end up starting to record my band's first album as well. Stay mandolin-y, my friends!
    - 2004 Macica A
    - 1952 Selmer Centered Tone
    - Eastwood electric mandola
    (and lots more)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justus True Waldron For This Useful Post:

Default Re: A visit to Mandolin Brothers

Dang, you should have ended your day by coming over to Jalopy in Brooklyn.

I was playing a date with my pal Stephen Clair there, with Skip Ward from the Trischka band on bass.
    2020 Custom Weber Yellowstone F-20-F octave mandolin
    2019 Weber Yellowstone F-17 mandola
    2019 Custom Weber Diamondback F14-F
    2018 Custom Weber Yellowstone F14-0
    2016 Weber Octar

www.webermandolins.com/mandolin-artists/michael-eck

Sounds like a super trip! I should do the same some day and I have about an hour jump on you. Meeting Marc had to be a neat little extra. Did you know he was Bela Fleck's first teacher? Marc is quite a guy with mad skills and a ton of connections. He comes to Woodstock to see Bill Keith on rare occasions.
    I've heard a lot about Mandolin Brothers and will get there some day, but my playing needs to improve quite a bit first. I am also a little concerned about the effect a visit would have on my retirement funds.
    Thanks for sharing, neat story.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Eck View Post
    Dang, you should have ended your day by coming over to Jalopy in Brooklyn.

I was playing a date with my pal Stephen Clair there, with Skip Ward from the Trischka band on bass.
    I wish I had known, I would have! I was looking for some music to listen to, looked up the bluegrass jam schedule but the one big Sat. night jam is still on hold due to repairs from sandy. I ended up catching some jazz at Arthur's in Greenwich Village on my way out.

and Tom - I did hear that! Pretty cool. A very knowledgeable guy, I'm glad I got to meet him.
    - 2004 Macica A
    (and lots more)

Infrequently Smelt Gregory Tidwell's Avatar

You should edit that with some paagraph breaks because it's difficult to read a wall of text like that.
    Objects in mirror are closer then they appear.

- Buick, 1986

7. The following members say thank you to Gregory Tidwell for this post:

Check out Retrofret next time you go to Brooklyn. I recently spent a great day in Brooklyn visiting both Mandolin Brothers and Retrofret.

What a great trip. It's esp. wonderful to make those random musical connections along the way. Hope I can make it out there one of these days.

That was fun to read. Thank you! I like the part about the banjo room reverb.

Off topic: Please don't take this personally, but I would also like to concur with Greg that paragraph breaks would help with the read-ability of the post. I almost didn't read it at all because of that. (but I'm glad I did)
    Paul

Weber Custom Vintage A
    Alvarez A-100
    '82 Fender Bullet (USA)
    '55 Harmony Master Model
    '62 Harmony Tenor Guitar

Yeah sorry guys, I kind of dumped my thoughts in one big blob, I had no idea how long it was until it posted and then I went to bed. I'd go back and fix it now but it's well past the time when editing is allowed on here...
    - 2004 Macica A
    (and lots more)

You mean the Mando Bros. were Loarless that day? I guess picking on an early Fern is about as good. Stan is a great man. Worth a stop by if you are in the New York area.

No I think they still had the other loar (the one Chris Thile didn't buy)... but from the videos it seemed like that one went sharp up the neck. And I've played a few Loars but never a Fern, so I wanted to try that one first. I wasn't sure Stan would be into letting a 24 year old who obviously wouldn't be buying either of them get his hands on both so I didn't ask about the Loar. Maybe next time I'm down that way - my dad already says he wants to go and see the place now!
    - 2004 Macica A
    (and lots more)

That Loar was there when I was there a few weeks ago. I didn't play it but another guy from Arkansas did.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1