Thread: Creaking Tree String Quartet

In my new issue of Relix magazine under the "5 new artits you need to know" section this band was listed with a nice write-up about them. I went and checked out their site (www.creakingtree.com) and I think they're pretty good. All instrumental (sounds Dawg influenced). Just wanted to let anyone looking for a new band to know about them. Looks like they're out of Toronto and don't really play in the states (yet?). Anyways, check them out if you want

Piece
    Matt

they have an mp3 on this site. also, andrew collins has listed items in the classifieds from time to time. great band. last year sometime the andrew collins/marc roy cd was featured here. great tunes. andrew's playing is right
    up there with thile and leftwich.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Great band, and impressive musicians. Saw them at IBMA last October, picked up 2 CDs, both very good.

Blog Entries

Their new album is one of the best CDs I've bought in a while.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Registered User BluegrassPhilfromFrance's Avatar

I went on their website and ordered their newest CD, it really is great material and the recording is top notch !
    Bravo ...
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!

Fabulous group, very inventive music by four extremely talented musicians. Loved them at IBMA. I believe they are setting up USA tours this year.

Heard a couple of festival sets that were stunning. Decent folks to deal with backstage, calm cool and collected before playing to a large crowd. The first cd is very, very good (and mine is signed) and I play it often. Maybe the best new band I've seen in years.

Peace, Mooh.

There is no question that Relix hit the nail on the head. Anyone that is a fan of music should give the CTSQ a good listen, especially fans of mandolin. There are few discs that I enjoy as much as the two CTSQ albums, and I am always completely awestricken every time I see them live. What I think seperates them from all the other new acoustic bands is that none of them try to steal the show or be the leader. They are a group in every sense of the word. All of them are not only fantastic players, but everyone of them can write (yet it is never obvious which member wrote a tune). All of you should check them out. #They have lots of songs that you can download on their #webpage. And Scott has even posted one of Andrew Collins songs "The Dynamic Duo" on the #MP3 page. This song is a tribute to a couple of his (and my) favorite musicians Mike Marshall and Darol Anger. #Check them out if you haven't already.
    Craig Murray

Blog Entries

Hey Craig--can you get the dots for The Dynamic Duo? I'd love to learn to play it.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence