Thread: Tabledit Question about tied notes

How do I tie notes in tabledit? I am selecting the notes to be tied and then hitting the tie symbol on the notes pallette. This causes the notes to become "subscripted" and then they do not playback.

Any help would be appreciated.

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding you, but the whole point of a tied note is that it does not "sound" -- it merely extends the duration of the preceding (identical) note.

Tying notes in Tabledit is easy. You just highlight the second note, then go to the Notes menu and select "tie".

?? What am I missing here?

Mark
    J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

You got it. I was tying both the first note and the note to be tied too, making neither be heard.

By just applying the tie to the second note it works.

Thanks.

Cool.

Now, maybe you can tell me how to insert a coda?

J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

That depends on where you want to insert it

Hey J. Mark,

Since you are a lawyer, maybe you can answer my next question ....

The tablature I was working on was Grandfathers Clock from the Jethro Burns,
    Mel Bay Book. The type in the book is too small for me to read.

Can I post that tab to Mandozine without breaking copyright laws, or whatever? Or should I just keep it for my private use.

Curious abuout the protocol for such things.

Thanks,
    Pete

o2b.pickin

Mark

The easiest way to insert a Coda in a TablEdit file is through the menu Play > Reading List ... by listing the measures in correct playing order, the Coda will automatically appear where needed, and the TablEdit file will play the Coda at the proper place. (For Reading List markers to be displayed when playing/printing, choose File > Options > Display > check Reading Guides > Apply > OK)

You can also manually insert a Coda, by positioning the cursor in a blank spot in the measure to be marked Coda, then using menu Edit > Insert > Endings & Repeats > choose whether it is an endings/repeats, leave measure at 0, check Coda > OK #(Note: this is for printing purposes only, as it will have no effect on the playing order of the measures)

Keepin' tuned ...
    Wendy Anthony
    A Few of My Favourite Mandolin Links

MelBay MandolinSessions: Cindy

Pete,

I don't really want to get into legal issues too much on this Board. And .... how shall I say this? There may be certain usages that I might think, on one level, are good and should continue... but someone might think otherwise. If you get my drift. So I'll be brief and you can pm me if you like.

As far as I know, "Grandfather's Clock" is a public domain tune. But written materials, even of pd tunes, can have their own copyright. For example, you can't just copy Steve Kaufman's tab of "Soldier's Joy" and publish it somewhere, because Steve has his own copyright of that tab, regardless of the pd nature of the underlying tune. Make sense? It's Steve's work that is protected at that point.

Hope that helps.

Hey, Wendy. Thanks so much for that outline of how to proceed. I'll give it a try.

Mark
    J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

o2b.pickin

Mark

Here's another quick thought about the use of Edit > Insert to manually insert playing guides & assist in building the Play > ReadingList ...

Because the play-along-at-your-own-speed feature is one of the main benefits of TablEdit, ensuring the correct playing order of the measures, with Play > Reading List, is essential, & can sometimes get quite time consuming ...

For some complicated tunes (ie with multiple repeats, 2nd or 3rd endings, different parts, coda, etc) I sometimes find it easier to first manually insert the playing markers. This helps me identify which measures to include in the correct order for the Play > ReadingList, as well as confirm the reading list results. (I delete the manual markers later to ensure they really Are included in the reading list ... tho I guess leaving them would ensure they'd always be printed, in case folks have DisplayReadingGuide Option unchecked)

Wendy

A Few of My Favourite Mandolin Links

MelBay MandolinSessions: Cindy

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (mando_pete @ Jan. 15 2005, 20:21)
    Hey J. Mark,

Since you are a lawyer, maybe you can answer my next question ....

The tablature I was working on was Grandfathers Clock from the Jethro Burns,
    Mel Bay Book. The type in the book is too small for me to read.

Can I post that tab to Mandozine without breaking copyright laws, or whatever? Or should I just keep it for my private use.

Curious abuout the protocol for such things.

Thanks,
    Pete
    Not J. Mark here, but I often publish stuff (not in the music business, though) that is copyrighted elsewhere. And I have no trouble with the legalities of it. How do I do it?

It may be too much common sense, but I ask the copyright holder for permission. They almost always say yes. If they don't they have good reason, and I respect that, after all: they did the work. But usually it brings them free publicity. But I'm sure you could contact Ken Eidson and ask him about it. Mel Bay has the copyright, but it might take a few phone calls.

That "Grandfather's Clock" is a great piece.

Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by (streborkcaj @ Jan. 16 2005, 11:07)
    [It may be too much common sense, but I ask the copyright holder for permission. #
    Well, yeah. There's always that.

Wendy, that's kind of what I thought I might do. I used Tabledit more for the visual function than for the sound playback, so I can mostly live without the reading list thing. So I figured I'd just insert the coda manually, and maybe later I'd modify it for the playback. But I didn't know how to do either, so thanks.

Mark
    J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

Chicago - most lately but - home is in Northern Arkansas.

A couple small things - 'Grandfather's Clock' was written by Leroy Anderson back in the 1930's and may or may not be P/D. The orignal version was a full orchestrated doober which was done for kids concerts. The other thing - Ken Eidson passed away almost ten years ago (I think that's when). So the complication of figuring out copyrights is really convoluted in this case, 1/ the original tune was a full orchestration, 2/ the Jethro Burns version takes about 1/3 of the BIG tune and it becomes a distillation, based on ... GC, 3/ The transcriber of the Burns tune of the partial Anderson score is deceased ...

As far as presenting it for 'educational purposes, not for resale' there is a large jar of worms regarding the legality. Just don't make waves. As for Steve 'What syncopation?' Kaufmann iterations, there are better playing, more musical versions available.
    Mandola fever is permanent.

That's interesting, Dion. I haven't researched it, but a quick check here http://www.pdinfo.com/list/g.htm indicates it was written in 1876 by Henry Clay Work. That of course would make it a pd song. Is it possible the Anderson version is an arrangement?

Mark
    J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (Dolamon @ Jan. 16 2005, 08:40)
    The other thing - Ken Eidson passed away almost ten years ago (I think that's when).
    Well, so much for the idea of calling Ken. For some reason I was confusing Ken Eidson with someone else that I know I spoke with recently. Must have been Frank Zappa or Jerry Garcia...

But couldn't you call Mel Bay?

I just had a situation where I wanted to use a spectral analysis of some reactor core solution from a nuclear power plant, and the power plant owner said I couldn't, so I just made up my own core solution and took the analysis. Since it is unlikely you play the "Grandfather's Clock" exactly the same way as Jetro did (even Jethro doesn't play it the way he wrote it out in the book...) why don't you arrange it yourself, and post your original arrangement.
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

Got it all figured out, Wendy. Thanks again.

Mark
    J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

Default Re: Tabledit Question about tied notes

Quote Originally Posted by mando_pete View Post
    How do I tie notes in tabledit? I am selecting the notes to be tied and then hitting the tie symbol on the notes pallette. This causes the notes to become "subscripted" and then they do not playback.

Any help would be appreciated.

So, how do I untie notes. I made the mistake of using a dotted quarter note followed by an eighth note and the program tied all notes entered after that! I am a newbie! I tried to delete from the start of this passage but can’t get rid of the ties that are now extending to the end of the piece! Thanks ahead of time.

Default Re: Tabledit Question about tied notes

Quote Originally Posted by Sporter323 View Post
    ...how do I untie notes...
    For normal conditions, the following works for me anyway, using a slightly older version of TablEdit (v2.78b1c). This technique might not be effective if the music has timing errors though.

Short answer:

To remove a standard tie in TablEdit, click last note of tie, then press keyboard "L" key *TWICE* (or click toolbar 'tie' icon twice). That will remove the tie between that note and the note to its left that it was tied to. If there are more notes you want un-tied, repeat the process as necessary to remove all the ties you don't want.

Long answer and more info:

* Pressing the keyboard "L" key (or clicking the toolbar 'tie' icon) toggles between 3 different states:
    • If the note is already un-tied, the "L" makes it tied.
    • If the note is already tied, then "L" makes the curved line upside down.
    • If the curved line is already upside down, or if it's not upside down and you press "L" twice, then "L" completely removes the tie so that the notes are not tied anymore.

* You can also select multiple contiguous tied notes and untie them all at once. Just select them all except for the first one and then press the "L" key twice. (To select multiple individual notes, click on one of the notes, then press and *hold* the keyboard "Ctrl" key (see note below) while you carefully click the other notes you want selected; when you've selected all the notes you want, then release the Ctrl key. NOTE: If you have a Mac instead of a PC, not sure about modern Macs but I think you might use the cloverleaf 'command' key instead of Ctrl... but maybe not. Haven't used Mac for many years now, can't remember.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sporter323 View Post
    ...I made the mistake of using a dotted quarter note followed by an eighth note and the program tied all notes entered after that! ... can't get rid of the ties that are now extending to the end of the piece!
    There might be something else going on in your case... not sure without seeing the actual file you're working on...

Sometimes TablEdit gets squirrely and troublesome if the app thinks there are timing errors in the music.

Unfortunately, in TablEdit it seems to be very easy to inadvertently introduce timing errors (other apps don't allow such things to occur, but TablEdit does), this is one of the things that's always bothered me about TablEdit, and it can make troubleshooting difficult.