Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Hoarding Nice Instruments Justifiable?

Blog Entries

Default Is Hoarding Nice Instruments Justifiable?

I am fortunate enough to own some very nice instruments.

I've now settled into the very comfortable situation of regularly playing just a few go-to instruments. Because of this, I find that I play my non-first or second choice instruments even more rarely.

However, I must admit that I get a certain amount of joy from just owning these instruments, and being able to grab them that "every once in a blue moon" to play them and rediscover their fine and interesting character. On the other hand, I find myself torn, and often thinking that I should move these fine instruments to someone else who might make them 'workhorse' instruments. This is becoming quite a dilemma for me.

Anyone else find themselves in this situation?
    Thoughts?
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Default Re: Is Hoarding Nice Instruments Justifiable?

Hi Ed,

When properly cared for, instruments can last for a really long time. Sure, you own them now, but someone else will own them in the future. They might be the workhorse of an owner in the distant future. I would not fret (pun intended) over not using them to their full potential at this time. If they give you joy, that's reason enough to keep them. Look at the quote at the bottom of your signature. Believe it; it's true in many ways. Enjoy your instruments and don't worry about what they could be doing for someone else. The joy they give you is enough.

Best wishes, Bob
    Last edited by Bob Clark; Nov-25-2012 at 9:40am. Reason: grammar
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

3. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

ebeja 

I have found myself in this situation repeatedly.... cycle after cycle. MAS continues, accumulation happens, internal discussion of your point takes an increasing place in my mind.... distribution happens, collection becomes fractional.... time passes, and MAS continues on into another cycle...

I have been through this cycle probably three major times and some smaller cycles in there as well.... there were times that one actually feels, or at least can feel, guilty about having more than one wonderful instrument. At the end of the day, that thought is a bit misplaced I believe, as there are PLENTY of wonderful instruments that can go around... if someone wants a beautiful instrument, the fact that you have one, really does not deny that guy/girl from finding another... and ultimately the ones in your posession will pass on to the next custodian, whether you like it you not.... your custodianship will end, either by choice, or by death, and the intrstruments will outlive you and go to other folks, who will have their own issues about having more than one...

I jsut try to enjoy them, as long as I feel good about having them, then if the guilt builds to a point where I would like to pass them on... then I do, and then start enjoying finding others....

Its a wonderful life...
    John D

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well Ed , If you want to sell them I'm sure you will have no problem. If you want to set them up for adoption that will be much more difficult. Morally there is nothing wrong with owning and enjoying a plethora of instruments, of course I'm not married. And I have a son that plays, who has staunch opinions on what I have to keep. In the long run my instrument have been better investments than my investments. So a sale of my estate will yield a greater vaule to my heirs with instruments than without them. Insofar as those folks coming up... we live in the golden age of luthiery.. quality mid-grade instruments are more available now than when I started. An more makers of high quality instruments are " out there " than ever..... so .. the more the merrier I say... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Ry Cooder has a pretty good collection. A lot of his instruments have never been recorded, he has just played with them to explore an idea or revel in the strangeness that exists in the world of lutherie. If it inspires you, it is worth keeping, even if you only pull it out every once in a while. I go through my instruments in phases, and I sure wish I hadn't sold my '31 Duolian when I was in a phase of not playing it very much.

Also, Ed, compare the instruments in your possession to any other form of art. Lutherie is pretty cheap art to have around. You can have instruments made by the best luthiers in the world alive today. And some of the best luthiers in history are alive today. And you can get one of their instruments for less than it costs to go on a 10-day cruise.

I feel guilty if I have an expensive instrument sitting in my closet and not being played so when that happens I sell them to someone else who will hopefully utilize them to their full potential. That being said there is no way to tell how an instrument is used in the future. I have seen a few of my former instruments float around on the web going from one new owner to another and not end up, as yet, a workhorse. I also have no qualms about letting an inexpensive instrument, a recorder for example turn to dust in my closet. It's all relative. I wouldn't worry about what might have been.
    David
    2010 Gayle Mandonator

"Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese." GK Chesterton

Asking this question here on the Cafe forum is akin to asking the drunks in a bar if it's justifiable to get loaded!

9. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Mick For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Of course it's justifiable, Ed. There are far more fine mandolins out there than there are mandolinists, so some kind-hearted guys have to do the world a favour by looking after several - or more than several - of them at a time.

11. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

Another way to look at it Ed - most of your instruments are custom builds. You collaborated with luthiers to create wonderful instruments. Those instruments may not exist if not for your role in their creation. So would it have been better for them to have never been built? Would it have been better for the builder to not have had that project (they surely would have built other, different instruments for others). If you, your family and finances are ok with your obsession, then who is anyone else to say its wrong? A guy can find much more destructive things to become obsessed with in mid-life...

13. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

Sell them and get some top notch amps bro

15. The following members say thank you to rico mando for this post:

Highly Lonesome Marty Henrickson's Avatar

Ed, in the context of blueron's post, you are a VERY generous person! Also, think of all those poor luthiers that our MAS (and GAS, and whatever other -AS's we may be afflicted with) helps keep employed!
    Gibson Jam Master A-Standard #56
    Martin D-28 Clarence White #103
    Gallagher Doc Watson

www.instacanv.as/martyhenrickson

Almost every time I've gotten rid of an instrument or piece of gear, I've really wished I still had it for a situation that presented itself within a year of letting it go.
    Steve

Whether it's "justifiable" or not, I'm sitting on a "hoard" of about 75 different stringed and free-reed instruments, and (I turn 69 next month) just starting to reflect on what their future will be when I'm not around to do the "Scrooge McDuck money room" gloat over 'em.

There's not a one of them that I haven't used from time to time, but honesty dictates I admit that some haven't been off the shelf in years. That includes a pretty nice 1954 F-5 which will be welcomed back into circulation when they pry my cold, dead fingers off its fretboard.

Plan right now is to offer all to my two sons, give each what he wants, and put the rest back on the market, probably in the next ten years. Keeping what I'll still be using -- I'm still playing out three to six times a week, and hit a "one-week high" of nine separate gigs this month -- but putting the others into new hands (and also realizing the income I'll get from selling them).

No guilt at all about acquiring, owning, playing, and keeping them. I've treated them decently, worked the hell out of them when I needed their voices, enjoyed researching their origins and history, and kept them in condition to make music for many years more.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

19. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Ed,
    Quit worrying so much. Enjoy them either by playing or just admiring them. You have had a hand in all of these custom builds, so they are a part of you. You will know when some have to go and some will stay. Again, I say enjoy your time with them.

No, Ed. Its glutinous and despicable.

You should therefore give one to me.

I'll hoard it for you and bear all that of burden of guilt you're under.

Your not heavy, your my brother and I'm just that kind of empathetic, caring guy.

22. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

I've looked at it as I'm unlikely to get one loaned to me long term, so I have to Buy It.

Unlike band instruments in Elementary-School..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I'd be happy to adopt that Girouard!

25. The following members say thank you to Eric C. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by ArtDecoMandos View Post

... compare the instruments in your possession to any other form of art. Lutherie is pretty cheap art to have around. You can have instruments made by the best luthiers in the world alive today. And some of the best luthiers in history are alive today. And you can get one of their instruments for less than it costs to go on a 10-day cruise...
    I love this!!!
    Barry

27. The following members say thank you to Barry Platnick for this post:

Hoard away!!!!! When the right person comes along for a given instrument, you will know it. Just be open to that possibility.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
    Almost every time I've gotten rid of an instrument or piece of gear, I've really wished I still had it for a situation that presented itself within a year of letting it go.
    I'm with ya man,I've gotten rid of so many guitars/mandolins that years later its like darn,why did I do that!,"then I remember well that went for that and now I have this,Yeh!",
    So to me if ya can hord em/love em/play em cause lifes too short before the next player comes along and wonders "what a find,I'm truely lucky"

Quote Originally Posted by Bluejay View Post
    Hoard away!!!!! When the right person comes along for a given instrument, you will know it. Just be open to that possibility.
    Best answer so far, imho.

My wife knows who to call and what to tell them. That is bring a huge tractor trailer truck to take them all to market. Hoarding is totally different from MAS. With hoarding you no longer pick them. With MAS you still appreciate them.

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to f5loar For This Useful Post:

I went to the trouble of writing a description of each of them, when and where I got them, etc. I leave that in the case pocket for the day I'm gone and the family has to go through them. I do know people that hoard instruments. I know one guy that has more mandolins hanging on his walls than I've ever seen in one place. None of them are world beaters or expensive, heck most are really only wall hangers but it's what he hoards or should I say collects. If it wasn't for people shoving instruments in closets or under beds and not playing them we wouldn't have all of the nice vintage instruments that seem to pop up each year unplayed.

Good point (as usual) f5loar. There is a difference, but it's a fine line sometimes.

Ed-
    This question will have a different answer for everyone. We are all players and reverential admirers of fine stringed instruments, but we are all different people! Good thread, but don't look for your answer here! Your decisions about each of you current or future instuments will be part of your creative process(as other mentioned, you've had a hand in the making of some beauties).
    It's all good Bro!

Scott