Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sub $200 case recommendations?

Default Sub $200 case recommendations?

Been thinking I might want to get a nicer mandolin case. I've got a Brentrup M23 (classic F5 style mandolin) and have never had anything better to carry it in than a cheap gig bag. I've recently been playing out a bit more with a quasi-band, and going to more jams, and thought I should consider a case upgrade. I'm not planning on taking this on plane trips or massive world tours, so I don't know if a Calton case is necessary, though I do know that it's out of my price range. So, considering my price range is sub $200, do y'all have any recommendations?

Default Re: Sub $200 case recommendations?

I've been perfectly happy with my TKL case, and they generally run around $100. Admittedly it did smell a bit when I got it (glue fumes), but it aired out quickly enough.

Check out Hiscox.

Blog Entries

Travelite. Inexlensive, light weight, good storage, excellent protection. Under $100.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JEStanek For This Useful Post:

You might consider a Reunion Blues Continental Gig bag. They offer significantly more protection than your run of the mill gig bag.
    http://reunionblues.com/product/181/...-mandolin-case

+1 on the Travelite. Great protection, light and easy to carry, lots of storage. I was also intrigued by the Eastman FG cases. The Mandolin Store recently had them on sale for $99.
    Mitch Russell

I really like my travelite. I also really like these from the mandolin store: http://www.themandolinstore.com/scri...idproduct=8561

The eastman cases are awesome, too. All of those are under two benjamins. Gator cases ain't half bad neither.
    My Youtube Channel: http://bit.ly/1F9sJ8G

Good to see the feedback on the Travelite since that was what I was primarily looking at; for the price and my needs, I was hoping folks had generally favorable experiences with them.

My Ratcliff resides in a Gator case, quite comfortably and securely.

11. The following members say thank you to Patrick Sylvest for this post:

Eastman Fiberglass case - they run sub $150...

Alex, I use Travelite cases. The best things about them are that they are light in weight and that they do protect mandolins quite well with their suspension design. The worst things are that they are black (I use a light grey case cover on mine, the hinges are weak (Two of my hinges broke and I just ripped them right out of the case--works fine without them) and lastly, it is a pain to always have to unzip it instead of using latches. I'd never trust it to protect my mandolin from the gorillas as checked luggage, but for everyday use I still consider the Travelite to be the best bang for the buck.

Blog Entries

I like the Gator 'version' of the Travelite. Similarly good value. Have experienced zipper and hinge problems with Travelites, but not seen that on the Gator:

http://www.gatorcases.com/p/16117-922/gl-mandolin

They also do a very good ABS case:

http://www.gatorcases.com/p/16134-1359/gc-mandolin

These don't get mentioned a lot, but they have very good padding and offer a lot of protection for the $$. I have seen these for around $75 which is hard to beat for a case like that.

Moving up a bit, the Golden Gate fiberglass cases are pretty good. Heavier lay-up than the Eastmans.. and you can find them for under $200. Right on your limit is the Hiscox. This case offers serious protection. It is one tough case. Only downside (in my view) is that is is quite bulky by comparison to the others mentioned. If you were going to throw your mando down a flight of concrete stairs, though, the Hiscox would be your best bet. For general 'around town' duty, any of the others would be fine.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Okay, I'm with you fellas tburcham's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Travelite is less the $100 delivered and offers excellent protection and they are very light weight. The Hiscox is my favorite case from a protection and weight standpoint and they usually run right at $200. Unless you think your case will be run over by a truck the Travelite provides superior protection and will reduce the g-forces experienced by the mandolin on impact due to reduced mass and their ability to absorb energy on impact. This is why Big Joe and others have recommend the Travelite. All cases that feature a rigid exterior will cause a higher g-force to be imparted the instrument on impact, since their rigid shells resist deformation. Remember, acceleration is the rate at which the velocity of a body changes with time.
    Tim Burcham
    Northfield Big Mon (Red Spruce/Red Maple)
    Gibson F-9 Custom
    1942 Strad-O-Lin
    1948-54 Gibson LG-3
    2011 Gibson J-45 True Vintage
    2017 Martin HD-28 VTS Custom Shop
    Bailey Mandolin Straps (NFI)
    Bell Arm-rests (NFI)

Cases are pretty personal, I find. I like to carry a lot of stuff in mine, so the Hiscox is perfect. I don't fly a lot so I don't need to go the Calton, Pegasus, Hoffee route. If you carry your stuff in something else or son't have much to carry, then a smaller, form-fitted case may be more to your liking.

I also have a Travelite, which is nice when I'm walking a long distance with the mandolin. I haven't experienced it yet but I do forsee zipper problems as the reason this case will eventually have to be replaced, maybe with the Gator version. Should be a heavier-duty zipper.

Eastman Fiberglass case - they run sub $150...
    + the new ones fit F4 & F5, & A4, & A5..
    I got an A5 only one .. 3 D rings, for Backpack straps [thumbs up]
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Along with many others I will say Travelite. The Ratliff F style fits with Tonegard installed. The Weber F fits but without the Tonegard. Both have made many trips USA-Asia and return with no problems.

swain

Another Travelite fan here. I use them for both my Gibson and Hogan. Mike Marshall uses one for his Loar, so not a bad choice!
    Mike Bloder
    Hogan F-5
    Northfield NF-F5S

I like those TKL tweed shaped cases. Just so classy. All cases should be tweed.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

A Tweed fabric in the Mold and then the Fiberglas or Carbon cloth in Next , in the layup,
    would be clever..

I've not seen any Wooden cases with strap D rings..
    Part of my FG case preference , I can carry them hands free..

and they take Bumper stickers better
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I like the Travelite. The hinges are terrible but when mine pulled out of the foam, I simply removed them and it works fine without them. I wish it came in lighter a color choice than black, such as tweed, or solid tan or grey, but I have a silver-grey case cover I use for mine when I know I will be walking around festivals and such in the sun. I do not like unzipping a case every time I want to take out my mandolin but they are such good deals, light in weight, and very protective. I would trust it as take-on luggage (if it met the size requirements of a particular airline/plane) but I would never check it.

Check out the fiberglass cases at The Mandolin Store by Superior. They are around $170 + shipping. I've been happy with my black and red ones. Seem a bit sturdier than the Eastman fiberglass ones...

http://www.themandolinstore.com/scri...idproduct=8561

Blog Entries

Those 'Superior' cases are really great value. The FG is quite thick (not as thick as a Pegasus!), but certainly good enough for medium-duty use. Very compact. Nice hardware. Good strap lugs. They come in black, red, and white. There is not a huge amount of free space around the headstock of an F-style, however:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030967.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	94797

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030966.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	94798

The tuner buttons on some are closer than I'd really like... but despite that, provided you don't throw them around too hard, I still think they're a decent case.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

I'm a hiscox fan, usually right around $200 as others have mentioned. I've had mine for a few years now and literally been around the world. A bit on the bigger, boxier side but good storage. May not be what you're looking for, but check it out if you get a chance.
    Everyone's gotta start somewhere, might as well be Mandolin
    Eastman 605

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I like my Travelite. I didn't think I would at first, but I've decided that it's a really good case for not much $$. Of all the cases I have (gig bag, GG HSC, Breedlove HSC) I believe that it is the most protective. I beleive that I could chuck it across the room and the mando would be OK.
    Living’ in the Mitten