Thread: Peter Ostroushko - The Mando Chronicles

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default Peter Ostroushko - The Mando Chronicles

The Mandolin Cafe has posted the following news release:
    Peter Ostroushko - The Mando Chronicles

Red House Records has announced a November 27 release for Peter Ostroushko's The Mando Chronicles, a 3-CD compilation.

Note: removed reference of previously released.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply.
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Nov-21-2012 at 7:06pm.

Default Re: Peter Ostroushko - The Mando Chronicles

This looks like a great score if you don't have Peter Ostroushko in your collection yet. I got excited until I saw 'previously issued material' since I'm pretty sure I have all of his albums already. A unique voice in mandolin world, go see Peter if you ever get a chance.

I'm not so sure about the "previously released material," since I have all of Peter's work and I don't recognize quite a large number on discs two and three especially. I wonder if some of the material has been released on recordings he's done for the Target Lifescapes albums?

His part playing the Bach Fugue in G with a mandolin quartet is one of the most impressive things I've ever heard on mandolin.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

Blog Entries

Not sure where I picked up the previously released part. Thought it was in an email from one of the sellers but have been going back through some information this a.m. and not finding reference to that so have removed. My apology. I still think some of this may be previously available but can't be sure. We don't exactly received written press releases on things like this. Even his web site doesn't list the recording and his latest "What's New" has information from 2010, the home page advertising a concert from September. Alas, that's the way much of the web is unfortunately. Shouldn't deter anyone from what's surely a marvelous recording.

6. The following members say thank you to Scott Tichenor for this post:

Blog Entries

At the CMSA conference in September, Peter was asked that question about previously recorded material. He said it is all new, and recorded at Red House Records.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

I was the engineer who worked with Peter on The Mando Chronicles. It is, to the best of my knowledge, all new! Some of the material was retrieved from 2" Tape recorded at Studio M here in Minnesota in the 1980s - this might have contributed to the "previously released" rumor. This is an astounding collection - we played it nonstop during the Thanksgiving Holiday at my home and it never ceased to delight! This collection travels the world through genres and eras and is a musical tour-de-force!!! Another Peter O disc worth finding is "Peter Goes to the Circus." Music recorded for Circus Juventus. Happy listening everyone!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Sound View Post
    I was the engineer who worked with Peter on The Mando Chronicles. It is, to the best of my knowledge, all new! Some of the material was retrieved from 2" Tape recorded at Studio M here in Minnesota in the 1980s - this might have contributed to the "previously released" rumor. This is an astounding collection - we played it nonstop during the Thanksgiving Holiday at my home and it never ceased to delight! This collection travels the world through genres and eras and is a musical tour-de-force!!! Another Peter O disc worth finding is "Peter Goes to the Circus." Music recorded for Circus Juventus. Happy listening everyone!
    Thanks for posting that. You probably don't have anything to do with this part of the project but I think some, like me, are wondering if this will be available in MP3 format on amazon or on iTunes eventually. Most of his other material is so I'll assume this will be as well. If I notice it is I'll let everyone know.

Blog Entries

One aspect of Peter O's playing that has always impressed me is how musical he is. He is not playing the mandolin, he is playing music. His music transcends the instrument itself. The reason I sometimes miss him in my mental lists of great mandolin players is that I think of him as a musician, not predominantly as a mandolinner. The playing itself doesn't "feature" the mandolin, or even the playing. The person and the mandolin are in service of the music.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

From the "News" page on Peter's website:
    "I have been asked if some of the music was merely harvested from some of my earlier CDs and the answer is NO. All of these are new recordings that have never been issued before. There are a few titles that I had previously recorded on older CDs, but these are newly recorded versions of those titles."

Peter is my favorite instrumentalist (on any instrument, not just mando) so I'm biased, but this is a great album!
    Bob Blackman
    Former host of "The Folk Tradition," WKAR-FM
    East Lansing, MI

Purchased the CD's recently. Very fine indeed ! Lots of variety and style. Highly recommended.
    Michael A. Harris
    the dulcILLINI
    Collings MF5 Mandolin
    Collings MT2 Mandola
    McSpadden Custom Mountain Dulcimer
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Travel Guitar
    "Home is the place we grow up wanting to leave and die trying to get back to." Nash

My wife asked what I wanted for Christmas - I showed her the link to the mandolin chronicles

that should do it for me!

This cd is wonderful. I'm still listening to all of it after ten days and have ordered a couple more to give as gifts. I hope all mandolin players get to hear this cd, not just Peter O.'s fans; classical or old-time fans; or round-hole fans.

I put this on my wishlist. It is out of stock on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by jmp View Post
    I put this on my wishlist. It is out of stock on Amazon.
    bummer I thought I was being a good boy........

That is what I needed to hear.....new material, I downloaded the pdf to order it via mail from Peter .....on his web site.

Absolutely wonderful music, the perfect Christmas gift for every mandolin player. I received mine today and have been listening all evening and ordered another copy as a gift.

Wow - this is really gorgeous music!! I am about halfway through the first disc. This should be in every mandolinist's collection - he's got an incredible touch on the mandolin. Lovely!!!
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

I got this 3-CD set for Christmas and it is filled with sweet sounding mandolin music from all over the world. Includes detailed information about which vintage mandolins are featured on which track. It is interesting to compare the sounds and styles of different mandolins and different cultures. The playing and musicianship is impeccable.

Just recieved the CD hard copy
    put on disc 2 and my 6 year old daughter came right out and started dancing and lilting around the living room, thats it for me
    that's where we want to be, powerful stuff indeed

this is as the man says "music for the soul in a weary world" not to mention some of the most inspiring mandolin playing I've encounterd in a while

lots of mandola and mandocello for the tenor folks!

nice to have the booklet with the mando pictures and descriptions
    I wonder what is meant by "seedpods from a sycamore tree provided by Nancy Blake"