Thread: emando case foam?

Default emando case foam?

Hi emando folks-
    It's my first visit to this part of the Forum. I have a couple of questions re: foam that is used in emando cases. I'm in the process of getting a few emandos ready for sale (from Lee Coleman's collection... see RIP Lee thread in General Mando Discussion section), and a couple of the cases were deteriorating pretty seriously on the inside.

One question is - what is typically used to replace deteriorating foam? (is there a particular type that is most durable or easy to work with?)

Another - are emandos always sold with cases? Are there emando gig bags that are recommended?

Another - are there certain kinds of foam that can mess with the finish?

Any info appreciated! Thanks e-folks.
    KE
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Default Re: emando case foam?

I buy a standard open cell foam available at any fabric store and then cover it with a material that matches the cases I use. I have an old electric bread knife that I use to cut it to shape. I generally trace the outline of the instrument on the foam with a Sharpie marker then cut it about a 1/4" larger to allow for the fabric. I wouldn't recommend using foam without some sort of fabric covering.

I really like the Stage 1 and Stage 3 bags by Access bag and case. They have a rigid foam wall which makes it much more sturdier than a gig bag but lighter than a hardshell case. They are priced very economically. I suggest you shop around you can get them pretty inexpensively.

I don't think it is wise to ship any instrument without a case. It gives it an extra layer of protection and I have received instruments where the packing material has left a pattern in the finish when it got too hot during transit. The additional money is worth the peace of mind.

Destroyer of Mandolins

Ditto everything that Andrew said, especially about covering the foam. Foam of various types and sizes are available at hobby and craft stores everywhere. The rigid, closed-cell foam (the kind used for Styrofoam coffee cups) works well too. The hardest part is cutting the shape of the instrument neatly. While the bread knife works, the best solution to this is one of the oddest answers ever given on the Cafe. Visit your local florist. Almost every florist shop has a 'hot-wire cutter' used specifically for the purpose. If you ask nicely, the florist may happily cut the foam for you (florists are really nice people!).
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Thanks Andrew and Tim.
    I do have a friend who is a florist and can probably get use of the hot wire cutter if I need it...
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!