Thread: Rhonda Vincent and Josh Williams

Default Rhonda Vincent and Josh Williams

You might want to look at "Bluegrass Today" about Josh Williams re-joining Rhonda Vincent. Josh will be doing mainly guitar and vocals, but he is also a tremendous mandolin player which will probably be featured sometimes.

Default Re: Rhonda Vincent and Josh Williams

Look forward to his work with RV. Thanks for posting!

I'm glad to see he is returning to her band. He will get alot more exposure, more gigs, better pay, fewer worries as he mentions in the article. He is an exceptional musician and singer if you haven't heard him. He is an award winner on banjo, guitar, mandolin, vocalist of the year at IBMA a few years back, as well as being a super person...exceptional. I hope Rhonda showcase his singing more than she used to. I'll be surprised if she lets him play mando...he will out do her everytime!

I'm actually quite disappointed by this. He always did an awesome job in her band, and I'm sure will again, but truthfully, I'm not a big fan of Rhonda's and I would much rather her him with his own band. I first heard Josh when he was with Special C. and he was playing mandolin. He is one of the finest mandolinists anywhere and it's disappointing to not get to hear him play it much anymore. I'm sure it's a good move for him but I was hoping his band would would do better.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Ultimately, it comes down to dollars and cents. It must be so hard to make it as a touring band, and I feel for the guys in Josh's current band. I think it's a win-win for Josh and Rhonda.

Registered User Justus True Waldron's Avatar

I can certainly understand the desire for stability and I don't begrudge his decision at all... still I'll miss his band. Maybe I'll actually listen to Rhonda Vincent now, I've never been able to stomach her before!!
    - 2004 Macica A
    - 1952 Selmer Centered Tone
    - Eastwood electric mandola
    (and lots more)

I am a huge fan of his band and his mandolin pickin with the Tony Rice Unit. I only got to see The Josh Williams Band once at IBMA 2011 but, they absolutely had everything I love to hear in a group: taste, good material, great singing and instrumental chops. Maybe they'll still do shows every now and again.

As an aside, I think The Josh Williams Band had just lost their bass player/road manager/parts singer right before Josh's move back to Rhonda.
    My Youtube Channel: http://bit.ly/1F9sJ8G

Well, a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush, as they say...remember that video?

One thing he needs to do is either put a windscreen on his instrument mic or just plain watch out...ever see his Gil?

Didn't he get his Gil that way?

I don't think I ever seen it without the treble side being rashed. Thats going as far back as his appearance on Woodsongs with Noam Pikelny.
    My Youtube Channel: http://bit.ly/1F9sJ8G

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    I'm actually quite disappointed by this. He always did an awesome job in her band, and I'm sure will again, but truthfully, I'm not a big fan of Rhonda's and I would much rather her him with his own band. I first heard Josh when he was with Special C. and he was playing mandolin. He is one of the finest mandolinists anywhere and it's disappointing to not get to hear him play it much anymore. I'm sure it's a good move for him but I was hoping his band would would do better.
    I'm disappointed as well. I've had the occasion to see Josh play with Rhonda and with his own band. The last time I saw Josh and his band, it was last July out here in WA state. It was hands down the best BG concert I've ever seen. Great playing, singing, tune selection, etc. He'll be great in Rhonda's band, but he shines just fine on his own.

Here's Josh and the TRU, having been challenged in the green room to try one of our old favorites.

Josh is fantastic on his own or with RV. But Rhonda is a much better entertainer to the masses. She can draw and hold the attention of a crowd as well as anyone I've ever seen.

Bob
    re simmers