Thread: Small crack in mandolin top

Default Small crack in mandolin top

Hello,

I am getting ready to take my new (to me) 2007 mandolin to a luthier to have cracks in the top and back looked at, and I thought I'd post here first to see if I can increase my knowledge on the subject before I take the instrument in.

The crack in the top does not go all the way through the wood, starts under the tailpiece under the high e, and goes almost to the bridge. I took a picture that I will try to post with the high e removed.

The hairline crack on the back also does not go through the wood, is about 1" long, and is near the seam for the panels of the two piece back. I could not get it to show up in a photograph.

I suspect the instrument was kept in a dry environment because the frets feel like they need slight dressing at the edges.

So, from the information I have given, can anyone estimate what the repair will be? What questions should I ask? What precautions should I take in handling the instrument?

As an FYI, I knew about the cracks before the purchase, and this factored into the price, so I plan to keep the mandolin.

Thank you for your time.

Default Re: Small crack in mandolin top

Probably just finish cracks. If so, best to just live with them. They develop naturally over time. Have luthier check them to ensure they are not in the wood. Fret ends will need to be dressed. Set up and free tends dressed probably 75-150 depending on how much needs doing and time it takes.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

If they are just finish checks, that's one thing, but it they are cracks in the wood ask the luthier how he/she would fix the cracks. The two good choices are hot hide glue and CA (superglue). If the finish is lacquer, a superglue repair can be made invisible on a new, tight crack and can be solid and stable indefinitely. If the finish is varnish, the crack is more likely to show after a repair. It is a judgement call which glue to use and sometimes the situation; condition of the instrument, what the cracks look like, open or tight, etc. is what determines which is better.
    Simple crack repair can run from about $5 per inch to over $15 per inch depending on who's prices you're going by.

Thank you so much for the informative responses, they are very helpful.