Thread: 5-course vs. 4-course Mandocellos!

Default 5-course vs. 4-course Mandocellos!

I have some questions for you guys about personal preferences between 5-course versus 4-course Mandocellos or similar instruments, pro's, con's, anything worthy of being noted.

I know that 5-course instruments have a greater range, but I wonder whether or not the extra course would affect how you play chords, versus the more traditional look of 4 courses and the simplicity of it, only having to worry about 4 different strings to hit.

So, the question is out - 5-course vs. 4-course - The future is in your hands!
    Musica mulcet ad animam.
    Musica placet aurium.
    Musica aedificat corda

Default Re: 5-course vs. 4-course Mandocellos!

I'm a big fan of five courses. It adds so many more chordal and melody possibilities. You can still play chords without all the strings. To me, there really isn't a downside, other than string changes cost 25% more. I've already decided that my next instrument will be a 5-course mandocello.

I recently purchased a 5 course mandocello (converted Yamaha 12 string guitar). It is a great instrument to learn mandocello on. I play in a mandolin orchestra. I read treble clef for the mandolin, but haven't learned to read bass clef, so I am using tab to play the mandocello. The extra course kept throwing me off, so I have removed the E course for now. As I learn to read bass clef, I am going to add the E course back. So I guess I would say, buy the 5 course, you can always leave one course off, but you will also have the option of 5 courses.
    Uncle Tuffy

Lots of inherent challenges for the player and the builder. Can you strike the right balance when it comes to scale length, so the C is long enough to really resonate but the E doesn't break? Will the extra neck width slow the player down? Will the player have to come up with a new approach to chord voicings? Is a fifth string a crutch for people who don't want to learn shifting?

In terms of playing the musical literature for cello, you'd think a high E would be nice to have, but it might get in the way just as often as it comes in handy. In the long run I think you'd be better off with four courses and 24 frets and learning to play up the neck.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

It partly depends on what kind of music(s) you will play on this instrument. If you are at all interested in classical bear in mind that there was the liuto cantabile championed by Raffaele Calace. That was his main instrument and it had 5 courses CGDAE. He wrote a number of compositions, many of these are available for free download here.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Though I play a ten string mandolin/mandola my (limited) experience with a mandocello suggests that an instrument built specifically for cello range is likely to perform better than one built for extended range.

Blog Entries

In terms of the tension on the instrument and tuning the chamber it would appear there's less to compromise if you go four course. It's going to be lighter too, as a cello player I think I'd also feel better with a narrower fingerboard enabling more agility.
    If you're playing chords though there's a lot to be said for five courses giving a fuller sound, but with double courses it could get a bit wooly too.

What style are you considering?
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

I will probably play mainly chords and some simple folk tunes as I start out, and as I become better at playing I will move on to play with other people like the worship team at church and will try to find more specifically mandocello and liuto cantabile pieces to learn as well.
    Musica mulcet ad animam.
    Musica placet aurium.
    Musica aedificat corda

I prefer my 5 string. It definitely opens up more chordal options.

Id go with a fan fret to make a CGDAE Mandocello work well ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Hello all !...

! Has Somebody (because I am seeking strongly for…) the Liuto Cantabile method written by Raffaele Calace

...And (may be, why not) other from him (or other such as: "The Bickford Method for Mando-cello" in 3 volumes) for Mandocello please ?

Thank you very much by advance !

Quote Originally Posted by Irénée View Post
    Hello all !...

! Has Somebody (because I am seeking strongly for…) the Liuto Cantabile method written by Raffaele Calace

...And (may be, why not) other from him (or other such as: "The Bickford Method for Mando-cello" in 3 volumes) for Mandocello please ?

Thank you very much by advance !
    Irénée: you don't have to post the same question in many places. Actually Eugene answered you in another thread you posted in today:

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    For Calace's method, check out section 15 at the bottom of this page: http://www.federmandolino.it/wp/spartiti-music-scores/

This thread might help regarding the Bickford: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...o-cello-Method
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1