Thread: Mc Lain Family Band

Default Mc Lain Family Band

Had a blast from the past tonight. The Mc Lain Family Band were the featured guests on Woodsongs on our local PBS Station from Bowling Green, OH. First saw them at the Ohio/National Bluegrass Festival at Ottawa, Ohio in or around 1972. Then the band consisted of Dad Raymond on Guitar, son Raymond on Banjo and sisters; Alice on mandolin and Ruth on upright bass.

The Dad died several years ago.They all married, had families and followed their own roads to music. Now, sounds like they may be getting back together to record a new album.

Woodsongs was an hour of good music and reminisces.

Lee

Default Re: Mc Lain Family Band

Lee - They used to be one of my favourite bands years back.Unfortunately,none of their recordings were available in the UK at that time. They were a really tight Bluegrass band playing quite 'modern' songs ('Contemporary Folky' might be the term) & i thought that they were terrific. Years back,i used to play darts in my local pub & they usually had the radio playing over speakers in the bar. One evening, the weekly Country Music prog.was playing,& i nearly caused a ruckuss by stopping playing darts to listen to the McLain Family band playing a song.I'll certainly look out for any new recording,
    Ivan
    http://youtu.be/vlfwxc-ZyIo - 'Troublesome Creek'
    Last edited by Ivan Kelsall; Nov-12-2012 at 4:26am.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

3. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Raymond Jr. spent some time playing banjo with Jim and Jesse, I never was really impressed with his playing to be honest but I do remember the family band and they were very talented for sure only they seemed to too much "Hollywood" to me...

Willie

I first encountered the McLain family at the Carter Fold in Hiltons Va, and saw them several times in the seventies. I believe I have an old LP of theirs. Raymond was with the East Tennessee State University Bluegrass program where I saw him and talked with him a few years ago and now is at Morehead State University in Kentucky in a similar position. I am very impressed with his banjo playing and all around knowledge and ability.

I attended a few of their festivals at the Big Hill farm in Berea, KY in the late '70's. Saw some great music and met some great folks. Bill Monroe, Bill Harrell, Jim & Jesse, Buck White and the Down Home Folks with Ricky and Jerry, Ronnie Reno, The Japanese Bluegrass Band and lots more. The McClains wrote and played a variety of wonderful tunes. I always enjoyed the words Raymond K. wrote to Buck White's "Down Home Waltz."