Thread: Weird E string issue

Default Weird E string issue

I have my beater (a Rover Model 35-S A style) at work and I play in the basement at lunch. I changed my strings last year about this time and I play it at least 3 times a week for an hour or more (don't tell my boss ). Yesterday, I pulled it out to play and the first E string was waaaaaaaaaay flat (like in the Bb -B range). I started to tune it up and it was as if I were putting the string on for the first time. It slipped back down a couple of times as I tried to tighten it, but as I was tightening it back up for the last time I was worried the string woud break. I heard a snap sound that I would have figured was the sound of the string breaking but it didn't break. After that, it tightened up and held its tune.

I don't want to spend a lot of money on this mandolin that I paid $65 for 5 years ago. I would greatly appreciate your diagnosis and advice.

Thanks in advance for your counsel.

Default Re: Weird E string issue

Did you check that the loop is still holding? I had a similar thing happen to me a while ago, and it turned out the loop unraveled at the tailpiece. Once in a while you'll get a string with a faulty twist like that.

It sounds to me as if your string was slipping on its post. When you put the string on did you make sure to do one full turn above the string before doing the rest of the turns below the string? This locks the string onto the post and prevents it from slipping.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

This could have been one of the tabs snapping off the tailpiece.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

I had a similar issue with my first Mandolin, a cheapy Ibanez. My teacher took the tail piece off and it never happened again. I have since bought an Eastman MD 315 and am much happier with it.

Blog Entries

Change your strings mate ...geeez
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete Jenner For This Useful Post:

Maybe the string just gave up the ghost because of old age.

I think you should be able to afford the $5 or so for a new set of strings. If you still have problems, let us all know.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1