Thread: FYI: Dopyera collection to be sold at auction through Christie's

Registered User wellvis@well.com's Avatar

Default FYI: Dopyera collection to be sold at auction through Christie's

I saw the following message from Margaret Lay-Dopyera on resoguit-l.

Greetings to all our resonator friends!

You are likely aware that my husband, John E. Dopyera, across the years since his father's death in 1988 has sought a museum interested in the purchase and display of the collection of instruments from the last shops of John and Rudy Dopyera.

You may recall that these instruments along with other "last shop" furniture and artifacts were exhibited in Syracuse in 1988 and at the Erie Art Museum in 2000.

For a period of time the instrument collection was featured and offered for sale by Elderly Instruments. Keeping the collection together seemed desirable but that has not worked out.

Now, the instruments are to be sold separately by auction at Christie's in NYC on November 27, 2012. The one instrument from the original set to be withheld from the sale is the resonator violin. The instruments to be sold are, as follows:

DOBRO - A 12-STRING RESONATOR GUITAR CA, C.1974

DOBRO - A RESONATOR GUITAR LOS ANGELES, C. 1932-34

NATIONAL - A RESONATOR TENOR GUITAR, LOS ANGELES, CA, C.1929

DOBRO - A RESONATOR MANODLIN, HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA, C.1970

SAFARI - A RESONATOR MANDOLIN, HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA. C. 1970

NATIONAL – A TRICONE UKEULELE, STYLE 2 VARIENT, LOS ANGELES, c. 1928-29

RUDY DOPYERA - AN ELECTRIC-ACOUSTIC BASS, CA, CIRCA 1975

DOBRO – AN ELECTRIC LAP STEEL GUITAR, LOS ANGELES, C.1936

DOBRO – AN ELECTRIC-ACOUSTIC HAWAAIIAN LAP STEEL GUITAR, C. 1970

RUDY DOPYERA – TWO BALALAIKAS, CA, C. 1973

Revenues from the sale of the instruments will be distributed to the grandchildren of John Dopyera (as per his wish).

To observe or participate in this sale, go online at www.christies.com The catalogue of the sale is available on the website. The Dopyera instruments are lot numbers 31-40.

Additional Dopyera shop artifacts and assorted vintage parts and print materials have been retained but will be made available at a later time.

Here are the instruments being offered.
    Brad's Page of Steel:
    http://www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html
    A website devoted to acoustic & electric steel guitars

Default Re: FYI: Dopyera collection to be sold at auction through Christi

This looks like the stuff that was at Elderly's

The Mod 175 is nice. This rest is somewhat one off weird stuff
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

Quote Originally Posted by wellvis@well.com View Post
    IThe one instrument from the original set to be withheld from the sale is the resonator violin.
    I guess they wanted to keep one instrument. Man, that is the one I wanted.

I like the Dobro with the added scrolls. Funky!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Wolfe View Post
    This looks like the stuff that was at Elderly's
    I think it is, I guess it didn't move.

All of this stuff was on consignment (as a group!) at Elderly for years. I guess the family got tired of waiting for it to sell, so they're have Christies auction it off. The most interesting thing here is the National tri-cone uke, which is a prototype from 1927/28 that never made it into production. I'll bet it goes for WAY more than the estimate. The c. 1930 #175 Dobro is nice, but I bet it doesn't go for the estimate, Dobros are dead in the water right now. That cast aluminum Dobro steel is serial # A116 (they start at 101), it's the lowest known number for a production one, but it's in bad shape. The real bargain here is the Safari mando; these were made by Rudy in the mid-'70's and are all handmade, he probably didn't make more than 5-10 of them, and they're lots nicer than that other goofy stuff he built they're selling. $200-$300 seems really low.
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

Estimates are usually set low to appeal to prospective buyers and reflect on how good the auction house is. Sellers would rather hear: "It went for 4 times the estimate>' than not. rarely are they realistic.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by pfox14 View Post
    The c. 1930 #175 Dobro is nice, but I bet it doesn't go for the estimate, Dobros are dead in the water right now. .
    Holy cow...I missed that $7-$9K estimate. Yes, that will be lucky to bring $4-$5K provided it is nicely original and someone is looking for one. Most folks like my Dad and other Dobro fanatics either have one or had one in the past. Folks that appreciate these are few in number these days
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com