Thread: Last song Bill Monroe played

Default Last song Bill Monroe played

Does anybody know what the last song Bill played?

Default Re: Last song Bill Monroe played

That's a really good question!

Blog Entries

His last performance was likely on the Opry, March 15, 1996. Find a site that's offering what they played that night and you'll likely have the answer. But of course, maybe he went back to the dressing room and jumped into a jam session, but it's unlikely. He was in very, very declining health in early 1996 so unlikely there was a song beyond that date. But it's a fun question.

Somewhere I seem to remember hearing that Bill played a new tune for John Hartford in his very last days, saying he should learn it. It that correct? If so, this question will remain unanswered since both parties are long departed.

Spencer

Yes there was some mandolin picking going on in the nursing home with Hartford and others like Marty Stuart. Last song he recorded in a studio playing mandolin and singing was "Blue Moon of KY" with the Smith Brothers on Feb 21, 1996. It's a pretty weak version letting us know the end was near.

From an interview with Skaggs....

The last few times that I saw him when he was in a nursing home and couldn’t even talk back to me, I’d say to him, “Mr. Monroe, it’s okay. This music is going to be fine. Don’t worry about bluegrass; don’t worry about the music. We’re going to take care of it.” I didn’t say “I’m going to take care of it”—I never did that. I said “We”—meaning the bluegrass community—“are gonna take this on.” I’d come on in off the road and one of the first things I would do is go see Bill. I’d go over and see him, sometimes he’d be alert, sometimes he wasn’t. I’d take a mandolin and hand it to him and say, “Show me again how you played ‘Roanoke,’ there’s some things in there I just can’t get.” He’d fumble around, couldn’t hardly play, and I’d say, “Okay, that’s it. I got it now.” He’d look at me like, “You think I’m crazy. I know what you’re doing. You can play that.”

I think in Hartford's song "The Cross-eyed Child, John talks about Monroe in the hospital and Bill tells john to come here because he has a new tune for John. Or some such.....

Blog Entries

Since Mike Compton worked for John Hartford, he might know that story.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I have never heard it in "The Cross Eyed Child" (but there were different versions)but it is in Richard D. Smith's book. He doesn't play it though he hums or vocalizes the melody to Hartford in the hospital. It is Hartfords account of the event so I suppose that was related properly.

Mandolin Pickin Fool dawgmike94's Avatar

I have heard that the last song he played live in a show was the "True Life Blues" (possibly my favorite Monroe song ever) but I don't know that for a fact.
    Trying to get my hands to do what I hear in my head...
    -John Hartford