Thread: Donna Lee

Default Donna Lee

Working through the great transcription of this Bird tune done by Tony W. in an old MWN, in Ab. For mandolin reference, I got Mike Marshall's fantastic playing off his Gator Strut (or is it The Duo?). Funny how the sound of a car crash comes in during the fiddle break...

Default Re: Donna Lee

It is on the Duo. Any chance you can share the transcription (as long as it is it not in violation of the rules here)? I'd love to see it!

Same here for the transcription... or at least tell us what issue it was in.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by coletrickle View Post
    It is on the Duo. Any chance you can share the transcription (as long as it is it not in violation of the rules here)? I'd love to see it!
    Google "Donna Lee", choose Images. But try at least at get the changes (same as Indiana) before looking!

6. The following members say thank you to Spruce for this post:

Not that I don't mind a challenge, but has anyone tried transposing this to a different, more mandolin-friendly key? I wou;d imagine that the horn players have less problem playing it in Ab. Maybe G?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hi, Jim. I just gave it a try in G and it works fine. Problem is you'll be playing all by yourself, since almost everyone that knows the tune does it in Ab. I think if you want to play bebop, the flat keys go with the territory. You can get used to them pretty quick.

Keep with it and you'll soon find Ab is a great key!
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

I heard that Jaco was asked once by interviewer, "How did you get to play like that?" He responded that he learned Donna Lee in all 12 keys. So there you have it! The secret to being a monster jazz player.

Speaking of playing in 'hard keys' at the Classical Mandolin Convention, at a workshop by Peter
    Ostroushko, he said he liked to play in a different key for a week at a time, to see what he comes up with.
    Especially, he said, keys he normally didn't play in.

I have nothing against flat keys or Ab in particular. Aside from playing with horn players, tho -- I don't know too many who would play with me -- I was just looking for a more mandolin-friendly key. Do you folks who do play this regularly in the original key play it mostly in second or third position?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: