Thread: Odd snakehead logo

Default Odd snakehead logo

Dude selling a 1924 snakehead on Craig's List sent me this photo. A straight-across script logo like this one appears on some Gibson mandolins from around 1927, but usually not 1924. (1927 is too late for a snakehead, at least according to conventional wisdom.) It looks a little off to me in other aspects ... I'm inclined to say it was added later. Your thoughts?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snakehead logo.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	126.9 KB 
ID:	93422
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Default Re: Odd snakehead logo

I've seen these stenciled, horizontal logos on snakeheads before... don't know about the date though as our whole thinking regarding dates has shifted. I wouldn't worry about that too much... I'd be more concerned with the intonation on these later snakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    I'd be more concerned with the intonation on these later snakes.
    Bob Jones showed me the difference in intonation and how far it was off on a '24 F4 compared to the correct fret location. It was truly off esp in the upper frets.

As far as the headstock logo: possibly left over parts or more likely a Gibson factory repair job done later? Very curious, tho.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

What's the serial # of the mando? Can we confirm it's date of mfg.?
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

SN is 81327 so it's a late one. Unfortunately I don't have the FON.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I don't see the oddity in it. It looks like a A-junior or an AO model. is that what it is?

No, it's a blacktop with an A2Z-style rosette. Anyhow, an A-jr snakehead wouldn't have a script logo at all. And there's no such thing as a snakehead A0.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    No, it's a blacktop with an A2Z-style rosette. Anyhow, an A-jr snakehead wouldn't have a script logo at all. And there's no such thing as a snakehead A0.
    I had the exact same model years ago... same stenciled, horizontal logo as well. Played horribly out of tune!

Here is an old thread with Beimborn saying that many later snakeheads (81xxx and up) have this silkscreened, straight-across logo. Even some Juniors have it, evidently. Good enough for me.

The serial # according to Spann puts the mandolin's date of mfg. in 1927. Also according to Gibson's 1926 Catalog P all of the A-style mandolins have "snake heads", but the illustrations of the A & A-0 show no logo on the peghead at all. My guess is yours is a 1927 A-2 with a straight non-slanted PH pearl logo, which isn't that unusual for Gibson. Gibson's 1928 Catalog Q no longer shows the "snake head" design for the A mandos. There was no guitar or mandolin catalog for 1927. Really don't know how accurately the catalogs reflect actual instruments, but that's what they show. I don't think 1927 is that late to still have a "snake head" A-2.
    Here are the catalog pages from 1926 Catalog P

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1926 Cat. P Mandos A3 and A2.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	93479Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1926 Cat. P Mandos A and A-0.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	93480
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

Thanks Paul. According to Spann, the serial number signifies a ship date, not a manufacture date -- but a 1927 ship date would explain the presence of a 1927-style logo. Check the photo -- it's obviously silkscreen, not pearl.

For most Gibsons in this serial number range, the Archive lists a manufacture date of 1925. I suppose this means the conventional wisdom still holds -- that manufacture of snakeheads ceased in 1925? In that case, it would seem that the ones appearing in the '26 catalog were old stock.