Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is an Eastman 315 enough of an upgrade over a well set-up Ibanez?

Default Is an Eastman 315 enough of an upgrade over a well set-up Ibanez?

Hello Mandolin Cafe!

Long time lurker. I know the merits of an Eastman 315 gets discussed a lot here with the general consensus that it's a great instrument, and I’ve tried to look at as many pre-existing threads as possible. But curious if anyone has been in my situation or has additional thoughts. Starting with a TLDR then more details -

TLDR: Will a Eastman 315 be enough of an upgrade over a well-set up Ibanez M522S to make me a happy, no regrets purchaser? Has anyone else made this upgrade? Has anyone made a similar upgrade from a lower end mandolin similar to the Ibanez?

More details to understand my case a bit better for those who have the time:
    My hobby is Bluegrass/Irish folk/Americana. I hardly play with anyone - I mostly multi-track myself singing/playing various instruments at an amateur level. I generally start on a cheaper instrument and then buy myself a strong “working” instrument / standard instrument that the web has consensus on (e.g. the 315).

Previously I was given an Ibanez M522S by my father in law, and got it set up by a local shop that does good work. It has a solid pressed top as far as I understand, with laminate back and sides.

Mandolin has moved into my second instrument behind guitar and I am looking to get something I can be happy with as a solid working instrument. More worried about sound than bling. I am also not looking to go too $ big - since I like to spread the $ love across multiple instruments. My thought is the 315 might be a good platform to record from since I understand the Eastman models are pretty solid across the spectrum and can sound similar.

I am looking for an F model - I like to have one of each instrument and the F is just cool to me. I know it's not the best financial decision, but it's just how I feel.

My problem is my area is a bit of a mandolin drought zone, with a handful of stores about an hour away with limited supply so it's hard to frequently try them on a lark and eventually the store owners rightly expect you to buy something if they keep taking them off the wall (don't take well to too many tire kicks).

I did get to try an Eastman 315 and 515 a month ago as I thought I was going to grab a 515 based on my research, but ended up liking the 315 better and ended up walking away to think about it. I’ve also tried a Kentucky KM-855. The problem is I haven’t really been able to do a 1:1 test with any of these with the Ibanez, but when I played them in the store the Kentucky KM-855 and Eastman 515 sounded quiet /tinny/ less resonate than what I expect - or at least not mind blowing. I may have a troglodyte ear, or they may not have been set up well, but that's what I had to work with.

I thought the 315 sounded much better/more resonant next to the 515, but unsure if it's THAT much better than my Ibanez - and I could put the money elsewhere if I kept the Ibanez (looking to grab a new tenor banjo and ubass some point soon).

Has anyone else upgraded from an Ibanez to an Eastman 315 and felt like it was a great jump / not a side-upgrade? Should I hold tight for something else? Not sure if I need the upgrade or I just have new instrument fever.

Thanks for your time!
    Last edited by bluegrassDC; May-07-2023 at 7:17pm. Reason: fixing title

Default Re: Is an Eastman 315 enough of an upgrade over a well set-up Iba

Here is my observation for what it is worth. I had a Eastman 915 for quite a while and the tone was great. I did not play them but playing next to them the 315's sounded ... Lets say not good. Some 515's sounded good and some did not but I experienced the same thing when test driving the 915's, I think the store had 5 or 6 on the wall. I bought the one that sounded best to me. Every instrument is different. I have never played an Ibenez but doubt the 315 would be major improvement. I would suggest buying from a reputable store that had a 48 hr test period and a good setup. You might call the mandolin store and ask their opinion. I am sure they would be truthful.

I play both a friends 815 and/or 315 once a week playing bluegrass and jazz, and there is big difference between them in tonal quality and nuances. I don’t think there is big diff between 300 series and 500 series that I have played, in fact some 300s sounded better (they vary). I haven’t played the Ibanez but I have played some Epiphone and Fenders which I think may be close in build quality, and I think the 315 is a step up in tone versus those. Is that step enough for you? I guess that depends on your skill level and ears. I own a real nice mandolin and there is huge step between the Eastmans and it, and also a huuuge cost difference too.

Eastmans hold value so buying a 315 as interim mando until you make the big step to something special is not a bad idea. For me the big Eastman tone quality jump is 815 and up, the lessers are mostly cosmetic and some better tuners.

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

When you're a relative newbie to mandolin, as I was in 2009 or so (played guitar since '63), "Different From" and "Better Than" can be tough to navigate.

My first mandolin, a $180 Carlo Robelli (Sam Ash house brand) had, and still has, a relatively deep and resonant tone; lots of woody reverberation. After trying a range of higher-level instruments, I was particularly impressed by a Breedlove "K-body", its price, and admittedly its looks. When I came across a great deal on one of their yet-higher-level K-bodies, mail order, I jumped on it with glee, even at 8 or 10 X the price of the Carlo Robelli, only to be disappointed by its total lack of woody resonance. While I LATER realized that it probabaly would have cut thru wonderfully in a loud jam, initial reaction was to panic at the 3-day return policy and send it back, most imprudently. A year or three, and lots of playing & listening later, I realized the extent of my mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mead View Post
    ... You might call the mandolin store and ask their opinion. I am sure they would be truthful.
    I'll 2nd that, and Elderly as well.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Try getting one without selling your Ibanez first and play both for a while. I once had a simple plywood Chinese-made Johnson, but it was such a pleasure to play. It was loud and bright and crispy and, well, easygoing, so to say. All odds were against that one, but it had some magic about it. I sold it to upgrade, and though I had much better instruments afterwards, I still miss it. It worth mentioning that I tried other Johnsons that looked identical to my old one, but they were not anywhere near.

If you haven't already, Appalachian Bluegrass in Catonsville, MD (about an hour from DC) would be well worth a visit; they carry the Eastman line and in my experience as a serial tire-kicker, they're unfailingly friendly and accommodating. I'm sure you'd be welcome to bring your Ibanez along and A-B it with as many of theirs as you like with no pressure or judgment.

bring your Ibanez along and A-B it
    That's what I was thinking you should do - wherever you're looking.

Kirk

Thank you everyone - very helpful responses.

Quote Originally Posted by tiltman View Post

Kirk
    Is this something stores generally support? I never really had the gusto to ask...

Cheers,
    DC

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kurtze View Post
    If you haven't already, Appalachian Bluegrass in Catonsville, MD (about an hour from DC) would be well worth a visit; they carry the Eastman line and in my experience as a serial tire-kicker, they're unfailingly friendly and accommodating. I'm sure you'd be welcome to bring your Ibanez along and A-B it with as many of theirs as you like with no pressure or judgment.
    I wish I lived in a more mandolin-friendly zone. Currently live in NH which has a few stores but limited supply or very high end. I've been to one with a 315 that I tested against the 515, but suspect they will want me to make a purchase next time they take it off the wall.

Maybe I can wait till I'm passing by MD sometime.

Cheers,
    DC
    Last edited by bluegrassDC; May-08-2023 at 6:21pm.

Make a day trip down to Music Emporium, and take your Ibanez. Not only will they be totally cool with you trying a bunch of mandolins without expecting a purchase, but they'll have a few Eastmans (it may be a 305 or 505, but those sound the same as their F-style brothers) to compare. You'll also be able to play a couple higher-end instruments so that you can get an idea of what the next step in the tone/value ladder would be. Agree with the comments above that Eastmans do vary in their sound, but are generally well-built instruments. My first mandolin was a 315 and I thought it was great, until I started playing some next-level instruments...
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassDC View Post
    Currently live in NH

Oops, sorry DC, from your screen name I assumed you resided in Our Nation's Capital...

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

For those interested, also not far from DC in Loudoun County is Melodee Music. They have a wall of new mandolins that include The Loar, Kentucky, Eastman, Troublesome Creek, Rose (local builder!), Weber, and assorted used others. They currently have a lot of Eastmans in particular.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

I wish I lived in a more mandolin-friendly zone. Currently live in NH which has a few stores but limited supply or very high end. I've been to one with a 315 that I tested against the 515, but suspect they will want me to make a purchase next time they take it off the wall.

Maybe I can wait till I'm passing by MD sometime.

Cheers,
    DC
    I'm guessing they'd be fine with it. Dan_in_NH went up to Strings and Things in Concord a bunch of times to look at the Eastman 815V they had there. Buy some picks or something while you're in there.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by tiltman View Post

Kirk
    Is this something stores generally support? I never really had the gusto to ask...

Cheers,
    DC
    Absolutely. There's no better way to compare to what you've got.

Buy some picks or something while you're in there.
    Agree.

Kirk

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Heck, even my local Guitar Center had zero issue with bringing in my mid-90s Flatiron. Of course, I'd cleared it beforehand with a sales guy that I'd gotten to know, and then "checked in" at the checkout to let them know what I was up to. Blindly carrying your own instrument into a store with no "heads-up" would be risking, at minimum, a boatload of confusion.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    I'm guessing they'd be fine with it. Dan_in_NH went up to Strings and Things in Concord a bunch of times to look at the Eastman 815V they had there. Buy some picks or something while you're in there.

I've been following him a bit while lurking. I am also a Dan in NH.

Strings and Things is where I tried the 315 vs 515. I'll have to may a day trip over again. Its just a place where they have to take them down for you, so I always feel a bit awkward about return trips.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Winn View Post
    Make a day trip down to Music Emporium, and take your Ibanez. Not only will they be totally cool with you trying a bunch of mandolins without expecting a purchase, but they'll have a few Eastmans (it may be a 305 or 505, but those sound the same as their F-style brothers) to compare. You'll also be able to play a couple higher-end instruments so that you can get an idea of what the next step in the tone/value ladder would be. Agree with the comments above that Eastmans do vary in their sound, but are generally well-built instruments. My first mandolin was a 315 and I thought it was great, until I started playing some next-level instruments...

Yeah I'll have to visit them. They just have a 515 in stock though... hoping they get a 315 in. Also wish there were more Kentuckys in the wild to test against. Wish NH had a Mandolin Store or Elderly equivalent with lots of diversity!

First, keep in mind that The Music Emporium is closed for renovations for a month or two, so don't just head off down there to browse.

Second, a couple folks on this thread have mentioned that tone gets significantly better once you get near the top of the Eastman product line. I don't have personal experience with anything above the 500 series, but I've read a whole bunch of other posts/threads in which more experienced folks than me have suggested that as you go up the line, the only real differences are cosmetic and upgraded tuners, but the tone is more of an instrument-by-instrument basis. YMMV.

I haven't played an Ibanez, but I do own a MD-315, it's a solid mandolin, especially if you can get a good price on a used one. Mine doesn't have what I'd consider a vintage woody tone, but it has a ton of cut in the treble, and a pleasing mid range.. the bass is adequate. I've played my Eastman side by side with a couple of 500 series and though that they sounded quite similar.
    Last edited by Caberguy; May-10-2023 at 8:44am.

Thanks Caberguy - good to hear about the 315 Helps me know that people are pleased with it.

Probably mentioned and more a violin shop but Johnson Strings (MA) has some Eastmans in stock. (I dealt with them about 25 years ago - but no current experiences.)

I have never really played them, but I have heard Ibanez mandolins (one in particular) which sounded pretty good.

If your Ibanez is indeed well set up, it may not be the case that an Eastman 315 is necessarily enough of an upgrade. That would really depend on the actual instrument you were looking to buy. Some will 'speak to you' more than others.

Like you, I also have come across Eastman mandolins which sounded "quiet /tinny/ less resonate than what I expect - or at least not mind blowing."

I think I would hang on to the Ibanez until you find something which you are completely convinced is better.
    David A. Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Gordon View Post
    I have never really played them, but I have heard Ibanez mandolins (one in particular) which sounded pretty good.

If your Ibanez is indeed well set up, it may not be the case that an Eastman 315 is necessarily enough of an upgrade. That would really depend on the actual instrument you were looking to buy. Some will 'speak to you' more than others.

Like you, I also have come across Eastman mandolins which sounded "quiet /tinny/ less resonate than what I expect - or at least not mind blowing."

I think I would hang on to the Ibanez until you find something which you are completely convinced is better.

Thanks Gordon - I know that's probably the right decision... I just have new instrument fever I think. I might go with a tenor banjo instead to fill out a slot for now until I find a mandolin I love.

I'll add a late thought to this thread as it might help others reading and pondering, like I was, if buying the "entry-level" Eastman 315 is a step up from their current entry-level mandolin. I started on a $200 Vintage (the brand, not an actual vintage) all-laminate mando, transitioned to a $400 Loar LM-310 with solid spruce top and laminate back, sides, and neck, before buying the fully hand-carved, hand-voiced Eastman 315. I've played mandolin for a few years now and have played guitar for 20 years - I do know a good instrument when I play one. The first thing I would say is that I think the term "entry level" applies to the Eastman 315 only given its price relative to the other more expensive Eastman line. However, if these other $200, $400, even $600-700 mandolins companies like The Loar and Ibanez offer are entry level, the Eastman is definitely not. The difference between it the Loar LM-310, for instance, is night and day. Not only is it a better overall mandolin, but every single aspect of it (the sound, fretboard, tailpiece, carving of the wood, bridge, the VOLUME, everything!) is far better. The Loar is a pretty mandolin, but if feels like a toy compared to the Eastman.

All this to say, if you have an entry-level mandolin from another brand, especially if it's not solid wood, I would be pretty certain that the Eastman 315 would be a significant step up. You will definitely feel like you've gone from a starter mandolin to a more serious model, and the sound and playability will match.

I have owned over 7 mandolins over the years but none of them ever got me going until, last Jan I got a Ibanez 700 AVS b/c it had solid wood and other considerations. it was ok but when I had it professionally set up, it immediately started to SING! This inspired and motivated me to really start seriously learning the mandolin. I've played guitar for 70 years and always loved the mandolin but never really got into it. But now, everything has changed I can play songs work on project pieces and noodle around. I recently upgraded to a used Eastman 615 that I got a good deal on. I didn't like the sound at first but it seems to improve every day. BTW I'm selling my Ibanez if you want to check it out with all the upgrades and pro setup, it is quite better than the 315 IMO.

What is your budget? Not sure if you could find an Eastman 515 varnish model to try? I have not tried one but they get good reviews.

I am a Kentucky mandolin fan. the 1000/1050 mandolins can be really good. The 1000's has 1 1/16" nuts, later ones had 1 1/8" and I believe flat fretboards. Might check if you have a preference. I would think this would be a big upgrade...
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/211037#211037