Thread: Ashbury AM-370 Mandolin

Default Ashbury AM-370 Mandolin

http://www.hobgoblin-usa.com/local/p...AdditionalInfo

I couldn't find much information about this mando. Has anyone had any experience with them? Seems great for the price

Default Re: Ashbury AM-370 Mandolin

"Ashbury," as far as I know, is a proprietary brand of Hobgoblin Music in the UK (though I also see Ashbury instruments sold by Juste Cordes in Brittany). Ashbury instruments are Asian-made. Hobgoblin has begun advertising in the US with the "Hobgoblin USA" website, though as far as I know they have only one US facility, in Red Wing MN. So most of their selling will be done on-line.

I've seen this "F-4 clone" advertised, and it really does look nice, especially for under $800 -- all solid woods -- though since its specs don't specify "carved," I gather the top and back are heat-pressed. Doubt you'll find too many Cafe members that own or have played one "this side of the pond."

Here's a vid of Jenny's Welcome to Charlie played on an AM-370 (not by me):

Last edited by allenhopkins; Mar-29-2013 at 1:53pm.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

GuyInCognito, as luck would have it I actually played one of these yesterday!

The look of it caught my attention, which is why I picked it up and gave it a short spin. Sound-wise, it was very tinny, and also not very resonant. On most oval hole mandos, you get a lovely sustain that kind of envelops you. This one was pretty dead acoustically, and was also incredibly quiet. It would have been completely lost in a jam situation.

To be fair, it could have been due to old strings, but I wasn't that impressed to be honest. Looked nice, though! Who knows, with a fresh set of strings and a good set-up it could have sounded great. But it didn't on the day.

Sorry to disappoint - maybe others will be along in a while singing it's praises.

Thanks for the responses guys, I figured as much. Oh well, I'll just keep saving up for a good oval hole Eastman