Thread: I pretty sure I'm hooked......

Default I pretty sure I'm hooked......

on playing my new mando.!!!

Got my Mandolin For Dummies book and have been going through it. I played The Flop-eared Mule yesterday for the first time and I fell in love.!!!!

I still like playing my bass guitar....but now it just doesn't match the "kick" I get from playing my mando.!!! I can't wait until I learn more and be able to play some real music.!!!!!

Blog Entries

Default Re: I pretty sure I'm hooked......

Its starting. Resistance is futile. Welcome to The Obsession!
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Yep, you've been infected all right....too late to back out now.

We need a national mandolin day of plaing!

Go Sooners!

I practiced for almost 2 hours last night. While I find much to be challenging, I'm finding that knowing where you are on the fret board without looking is vital. I'm starting to feel more comfortable with it now, but going from bass guitar fret spacing to mando is quiet a big change in finger patterns.

Blog Entries

If its any consolation, I still have to look. Well its more of a peek.

I am dependant on the fretboard markers, either on the fretboard or on the side. So I peek often.

At the same time, I find it very important to catch the eye of the folks I am playing with, (or as sometimes happens, playing for). So you definitely have to get comfortable not looking.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Same here - I recently bought an Eastman 604 to replace an ozark acoustic electro which I though was ok at the time but I now realise was garbage.

I probably have managed 1-2 hours a day since August & it seems to sound better with every playing. My guitars & accordion are feeling jeaous & neglected & I haven't heard from the wife & kids in ages.....!

I've been kicking around for a new mandolin the past couple of months...sometimes, I think I'm getting close to liking something...then I realize I haven't played my fiddle for a while...

(what's a guitar? ; )

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post

(what's a guitar? ; )
    That thing that sits un-played after one purchases a mandolin.

I came over from bass guitar last May and I'm right there with ya, something about a small acoustic with the versatility of the mando makes it impossible to put down.

Quote Originally Posted by mnfork View Post
    I came over from bass guitar last May and I'm right there with ya, something about a small acoustic with the versatility of the mando makes it impossible to put down.
    I totally agree 100%.!!!!

I played bass professionally for most of my life. In fact, after I really gave myself to Bluegrass mandolin, I sold the basses and don't miss them at all!

I am ashamed to admit that I only play my guitar a few times a week now, and I play my mandolin every day. I never thought my affections would change like that! Oh well I'll play whichever I feel like!

You're feeling that rush of unfamiliar and familiarity. I played bass for 25 years before picking up the mandolin. For me the similarities and differences were a turn on. Four stings being the biggest, courses of course. Early on inverting all my knowledge from lowest to highest strings while being different was similar because I could transpose. The biggest difference being size was liberating, I could play constantly, anywhere, it was freedom manifest. Anywho, I'm not sure what I'm trying to say but congrats on finding musical Tetris or as some people call it mandolin via bass. So what type of mandolin are you playing? Be careful of MAS, that's the only dangerous parts of falling in love with this little siren.