Thread: Reignwolf on the eMando

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Default Reignwolf on the eMando

Hey there - here's a cool little video from last week's Fretboard Journal 7th anniversary party here in Sunny Seattle. This is Reignwolf (AKA Jordan Cook) and Chris Balew playing da blues. Some nice slide on the Mandobird here...

http://seattletimes.com/flatpages/vi...=1913246611001
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

2. The following members say thank you to mandopete for this post:

Default Re: Reignwolf on the eMando

That was good!
    Chinn A-style
    Chinn BluesBird Emando #1
    Aria M-300BG 2 Point
    Kay Model 68

Quote Originally Posted by Chinn View Post
    That was good!
    Huh? Blues is about tone and groove, of which neither one of those guys captured in that clip. Id call it speed metal grunge, devoid of soul. Not that there's anything wrong with that. They obviously have a lot of great coffee and grunge in Seattle, but blues? Please.

Gotta admit that it was more rock than blues, but it was still fun to watch.
    Chinn A-style
    Chinn BluesBird Emando #1
    Aria M-300BG 2 Point
    Kay Model 68

Quote Originally Posted by mandogrouch View Post
    Huh? Blues is about tone and groove, of which neither one of those guys captured in that clip. Id call it speed metal grunge, devoid of soul. Not that there's anything wrong with that. They obviously have a lot of great coffee and grunge in Seattle, but blues? Please.
    In terms of blues being all about tone and groove...Hound Dog Taylor had some pretty rough tone. Listen to some of the stuff Robert Nighthawk was playing on the legendary ...And All This Is Free recordings and tell me that his tone was anything exceptional. Heck, even the early shoddy over-driven sound that Elmore James used could be called lousy in terms of the tone. Tone is, to my mind, very subjective. I mention all those guys because I actually love that rough biting cheap junky tone, which is basically what was coming from that Mandobird. Of course all the acts I just mentioned did have some pretty solid groove, and that youtube clip...well...they were having fun, which is all that counts

MandoGrouch. Exactly! Cheer up man...and call it what you want, but it's blues, and you don't really matter. It's not about "tone." Tone is "fabricated." It's about SOUL, and "feel." Take note, Blues CAN be badass!! Howling Wolf was a total Badass. It just so happens that he has legendary fans such as BB King and Taj Mahal to name a couple. He has even played with them. They LOVE him. Jordan played The Montreux Jazz Festival when he was 16 years old....did you? Besides playing with BB King and Van Morrison, it was in fact at THAT festival that he was called up to sit in with Aretha Franklin's band because she was too ill to perform. He was hailed as the revelation of the festival by another famous guy that I won't even mention.....I'll just tell you that I'll bet Jordan has more blues and soul in his pinky, than you even understand or know OR have in your entire world. If I'm wrong, you'll prove it by posting one of your "great" performances, and I'll give you due props. Post a video (of yourself) and we'll go from there. On that note, heres' another couple speed metal grunge clips, devoid of soul. The soul that you will never understand. I hope to hear back from you. Cheers!!

All songs were performed on an old guitars and vintage amps that were made long before speed metal and soul-less grunge. Whatcha got Grump? Ha!!

http://video.seattletimes.com/191327...ms-in-fremont/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jxaCBzuymg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9C5cdQnAsY&feature=plcp

No one ever said Yank Rachell had great tone either. As far as I can tell, Jordan's MandoBird is completely stock, down to the crappy pickup, and if you don't like the tone you should probably blame it on the pickup, not the player. Slide mandolin is incredibly difficult and I think he does quite well despite the limitations of his instrument. Just think what that boy could do with a real emando...

Thanks for posting the other videos. Jordan appears to be Seattle's answer to Jack White.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls