Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Loar Vs. Kentucky

Default Loar Vs. Kentucky

So I am looking to upgrade from my first mandolin which was a Fender FM-100. I am starting to play more and want something that sounds better. I was looking and pretty much made up my mind between the Loar 600 (Because I think I like the black) or the Kentucky 1000 (Again in black). What are the major differences between these? I was listening to a you tube video of someone playing both and as far as the sound (on you tube and my crappy computer speakers) I didn't notice much of a difference. Are there other mandolins I should consider?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Dave

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Default Re: Loar Vs. Kentucky

Depends on your budget, but between The Loar and the Kentucky, and without hearing them, I would pick the km1000. Others will sing the praises of The Loar, but I've always liked Kentucky. I have a km900 that I will match up with any km1000, and at half the price. But some folks prefer the f-style.
    Living’ in the Mitten

The Kentucky KM-1000 has an Adirondack Spruce top, and perhaps the KM-900 does as well, or did at some point. None of the Loar mandolins have the "Addie" top. That doesn't mean the 600 is not a great sounding mandolin, however. I understand it will hold its own among more expensive company.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Fstpicker View Post
    The Kentucky KM-1000 has an Adirondack Spruce top, and perhaps the KM-900 does as well, or did at some point.
    I believe the KM1000 still uses Adi Spruce, but only the very very early KM900 did.

BTW my vote also goes to KM1000 as well. I've owned them both, and the KM1000 has more of a blue grass sound, and packs more punch. The LM600 I had was nice, has a pleasant sound, but it's just a bit subdued.

Here's the specs:
    The Loar LM600: $800(ish)

Top:
    Solid Hand-Carved, Hand-Graduated Spruce
    Back & Sides
    Solid Hand-Carved, Hand-Graduated Flamed Maple Back, Solid Flamed Maple sides
    Neck:
    One-Piece Maple with Rounded V-Profile
    Fretboard:
    Bound Ebony
    Headstock Inlay:
    Abalone/M.O.P. Custom Flower Pot
    Finish Type:
    Hand-buffed Nitrocellulose
    Finish Options:
    Vintage Sunburst
    Tuning Machines:
    Gotoh, Nickel-Plated Brass
    Scale Length:
    13-29/32"
    Truss Rod:
    Adjustable
    Frets:
    Binding:
    Ivory
    Bridge:
    Compensated Adjustable Ebony
    Upper Bout:
    6-3/4"
    Lower Bout:
    10"
    Nut, Width:
    Bone, 1-1/8"
    Depth:
    2-1/2"
    Body Length:
    12-3/4"
    Total Length:
    27-1/4"

Kentucky KM1000: $2K(ish)
    Kentucky KM1000 All Solid Mandolin
    Solid, hand-carved and graduated select red spruce top
    Solid, flat-sawn, hand-carved select highly flamed maple back and sides from Northern Michigan
    One-piece maple neck with dovetail neck/body joint at the 15th fret
    Nitro-cellulose finish in a traditional 1920's sunburst
    Ebony fingerboard with M.O.P. dot position markers and 29 fret extension over the body
    Ivoroid binding on all edges
    Rosewood peghead overlay with Kentucky script and original-design "Flower Pot" inlaid in pearl
    Vintage-style bridge with small adjustment wheels
    Traditional 2-screw truss rod cover plate
    Perfectly shaped M.O.P. nut
    Highly polished nickel-silver frets
    Silver-plated, engraved tail-piece with leather insert
    High-quality, nickel-plated Gotoh tuners with engraved plate and removable buttons

BOTTOM LINE: sound is in the ear of the beholder.........play both & pick the one that really grabs you!!!!
    Also........thee is quite a price diff between the two as well. If you love the sound of the Loar..........why not save a grand or more for some other stuff...
    Peace,
    Jim Ferguson

Kentucky KM1000

~Give Blood-Play Hockey

7. The following members say thank you to Jim Ferguson for this post:

Thanks for all the advice! I'm still mulling it over. The big problem is I can't play either before I buy, no stores around here sell them.

What about the tone bars? Does that really matter? I thought I read The Loar doesn't have them and Kentucky does.

Money isn't really an issue with this. My wife told me to get something ill be happy with or years to come. So I'm leaning toward the Kentucky because of the old saying,"you get what you pay for". I definitely see that with the Fender fm-100. I've just heard great things about both so I wanted to know the why the Kentucky was more money.

The Loar LM 600 has tone bars, the LM 700 not. Some say the 600 has more of a bluegrassy sound, while the 700 is more open sounding, and more versatile for some people. I'd get the 700, but that's just me. I play celtic, bluegrass and singer-songwriter stuff. Good luck with your purchase!

If it is more of a "life-time keeper" mandolin, I'd go with the Kentucky 1000 for sure. Then, you won't be wondering later on "what if..." and wish you had gone that route in the beginning.'

Jeff

The Kentucky's have smaller necks and smaller frets. The necks on The Loar's tend to be a bit bigger and more rounded and they have the larger frets. Just something else to confuse you with .
    Think I'd lean towards the Kentucky...
    >>>===> Dave

I like my Krispy Kreme donuts "double" dipped in the glaze but I do not like my mandolins that way. What I see in the "the Loar" models is a "double" dipped lacquer while the KM1000/1500/900 is closer to a true thin coat lacquer like Gibson uses. That in itself makes a big difference in how it sounds. For an unplayed before buying gamble I would put my money on the high end Kentucky being much better than any model The Loar. I like the workmanship on the high end Kentucky better too.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to f5loar For This Useful Post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I'd love a KM-900.

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

F5loar, I'm with you on your comment. I haven't played but one or two "Loars" but that is what I noticed, thick lacquer. The KM1000s I have seen look really good and sound good too. I don't see what the fuss is about with the "Loar", maybe they are great and I have not seen enough of them.
    I might also suggest an Old A model Gibson as an alternative. While not an f hole model, they do have a great sound. Some don't cut it in a jam though. Great trade in value though.

Blog Entries

The KM-1000 (and 1500) are really very nice mandolins indeed. They're well put together, and general fit/finish is excellent. Where it really counts (sound) they cut it with the best of them. Certainly, I have never encountered a better mandolin in anything like that price range. Definitely a good long-term investment, as they improve even more with a few miles on them. The necks on the KM1000/1500 are also much closer to a Gibson neck, which is good if you own both. Easier to change back and forth. I keep a KM-1000 around for alternate tunings, like "Get up John" or "Last Days on Earth". I can play it on stage right after any of my others and not feel I'm short changing myself or the audience. It holds its own. A fine mandolin in its own right.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

17. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Kentucky, game, set , match.
    PJ
    Stanley V5

Contact Dennis Vance at the Mandolin Store. He carries both lines and he will give you an honest assessment of the two models you reference. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by cayuga red View Post
    Contact Dennis Vance at the Mandolin Store. He carries both lines and he will give you an honest assessment of the two models you reference. Good luck.
    Last time I check his web site, he had a used KM1000 listed in excellent condition for a very good price. I bought my Kentucky 1000 from him this year and have no complaints.

I have played a few examples of both.

To me, the sound is comparable. One is not clearly superior to the other in terms of tone or volume.

In terms of fit- and finish, the Kentucky is superior.

All things being equal, I would chose the Kentucky because of the cosmetics. However, all things are not equal. The Kentucky is about twice as expensive as The Loar.

The Loar 600 is a great value. An F-5 style solid-wood, hand-carved, good-sounding mandolin for under $1k is tough to beat.

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

I also feel The Loar 700 is a better comparable for the KM1000. I'd have to go in for the 1000 if limited to these two choices. It's a fine instrument that can last you a lifetime.

But you're not limited, so good for you. If you can buy an "intermediate" priced longtime/lifetime mandolin, then you want something with a lifetime warranty. I'd consider the Eastman 915. Every last one I've heard or played sounded great once they opened up. I love the slim necks (absent on the Loar), the radiused board (absent on the KM 1000), and the lifetime warranty. A buddy got his Eastman 915 (with a finish blem) at festivals for $1500. While that was an amazing deal, good deals can be had.

Finally, if you stick with any of the major brick-and-mortar vendor regularly recommended on the Cafe, you'll have great customer support backing up whatever purchase you make. Have fun, and good luck!
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Kentucky's or the Loar's don't have warranties?

I guess I should look at the Eastman's. I think I didn't originally beachside the black really caught my eye on the Kentucky and The Loar. I am not closed to other brands, which other ones have radiused boards? Anyone want to comment on how big a difference they are? Thanks everyone I really appreciate the feedback. Keep it coming... 😃

Eastman makes a black top too, radiused board as well.......http://www.themandolinstore.com/scri...idproduct=9636

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Throw the Eastman into the mix, and I'll still take the km10000. The km900 is a better value, but the km1000 is very good.
    Living’ in the Mitten

Holy cow I just pulled the trigger and went with the KM-1500. I am super excited to get it here! Thanks for all the input everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by papabear075 View Post
    Holy cow I just pulled the trigger and went with the KM-1500. I am super excited to get it here! Thanks for all the input everyone!
    You won't be disappointed, good choice.