Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Nordic?

Default More Nordic?

So, I have been working on the Uff Da Mandolin book by Dix Bruce and having a great time learning the tunes. Looking for more Scandinavian tunes to learn. Any ideas?
    I also highly recommend The Andreson Guitar Group's CD "Best of the Jack Pine Style". Great Nordic tunes flatpicked on guitar. I have arranged some of these for mandolin.
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Best-Jack-.../dp/092411908X

2. The following members say thank you to d18daddy for this post:

Default Re: More Nordic?

Here's a few resources:

http://www.bluerose.karenlmyers.org/...dUppland1.html

http://www.nyckelharpa.org/archive/w...-allspel-list/

Somewhere I have links to sites with Finn tunes and a vast collection of polskas - post again if you're interested and I can try to find them.

Finnish music is lovely, and Mettsakukia, one of the more famous Finn tunes, is a great mandolin piece. Sheet music attched, along with a second part I wrote a while back that you can take or leave. The freeware program I used has a bit of a problem inserting rests, so they often look a little funny but I think they add up correctly. There were some typos in my first try but I think this is the cleaned up versioin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails metsakukkia.pdf  

4. The following members say thank you to morgan for this post:

Ted Heinonen

If you are looking for more Finnish/American tunes and on the mandolin check out the UP's Oren Tikkanen. He recorded several fine albums http://www.musicoutfitters.com/artis...o_tikkanen.htm I've picked with him in the past and he is a wealth of tunes and history. The Andreson collection is a fine one too. The Late Bob Andreson was a close friend and we lost a great musician as well as a local collector and historian of scandinavian music in Northern Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan. His wife Gail also played with a early group I was in some time ago. But by all means check out Oren and his buddy Al Reko (Finn Hall Band out of Minneapolis) lots of great music.

Thanks you two. Learning standard notation would make my life easier I guess(I learn by ear and tab). Ted, I am a big fan of Robert. I have been in contact with his son and he has be very helpful. I wish more musicians knew of Roberts work, truly a great picker. I have had a very nice correspondence with Dix Bruce about Scandanavian music and how it could be really something if some great young players would pick it up like the bluegrassers did with the Celtic tunes. I would like to start working some of these songs in with my solo gigs(I write folk songs). Thanks again for the links-I have some Finn friends near French Lake, MN who would like to hear the songs you mentioned.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/christopherlaumb

I play in a Finn band called Oivan Ilo based in southern NH; with bass, fiddle, accordion, mandolin and sometimes guitar. We play solo and as a backup for a Finnish folk dance group called Revontulet. I think the UP and my area are two of the larger Finnish-ancestry populations. We play a good number of the tunes on the Reko/Tikkanen albums in Ted's link. It is great music and, as you say, it is a pity it has not penetrated very well into North American musical consciousness. The second part to Metsakukkia was my attempt to introduce Finnish music to a group I play with that only plays multi-part arranged music.

I have tab for some of the tunes - if I can remember to scan them I'll send you a pm to email them to you.

That would be great Morgan. Here's a pic of the inlay on my new mandolin:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	92670

The American Nyckelharpa Association has a nice repository of transcriptions (in a variety of file formats plus some midi files) of various Swedish nyckelharpa and fiddle tunes. Great resource.

http://www.nyckelharpa.org/archive/written-music/
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Blog Entries

I absolutely love this book!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scandibook.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	186.0 KB 
ID:	92671  
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Ted Heinonen

There is a very fine mandolin book written by a friend of mine in Finland, Seppo Sillanpää called MANDOLIINIOPAS. Not sure if it is in print any more. He wrote a couple other mando-tune books also. I believe he is a member of this Cafe so maybe he can chime in and let us know. I lost his email address a while back so if you are there Seppo send me an email. Arto Jarvella also hangs out and contributes a comment now and then. The Nyckelharpa Association is a fine one too that I've belonged to. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seppo.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	259.9 KB 
ID:	92673

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I absolutely love this book!
    Jeff: it seems like that book is no longer in print. I thought on some thread there was a link to where to get it from the author but I can't seem to find anything.

BTW there is this older thread on Nordic music with other sources.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by theinone View Post
    There is a very fine mandolin book written by a friend of mine in Finland, Seppo Sillanpää called MANDOLIINIOPAS. Not sure if it is in print any more. He wrote a couple other mando-tune books also. I believe he is a member of this Cafe so maybe he can chime in and let us know. I lost his email address a while back so if you are there Seppo send me an email. Arto Jarvella also hangs out and contributes a comment now and then. The Nyckelharpa Association is a fine one too that I've belonged to. Click image for larger version. 

There is a whole thread on Finnish tunes.

It looks like Seppo's contact info is on the link on post #9 or here. From what I can tell that book referenced above is a mandolin method tho Seppo has also published tunebooks as well.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Jeff: it seems like that book is no longer in print. I thought on some thread there was a link to where to get it from the author but I can't seem to find anything..
    I found it on Amazon UK. I just checked and it says out of stock, but there is a third party seller that has some.

The entire staff
    funny....

I must have a sieve-like mind, Jeff, because I found a thread where I had asked you this already. It seems like it is available in the UK on both on Amazon and eBay. It looks like shipping is slightly less on Amazon to the US.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I must have a sieve-like mind, Jeff, because I found a thread where I had asked you this already. It seems like it is available in the UK on both on Amazon and eBay. It looks like shipping is slightly less on Amazon to the US.

I figured you just have slept since then.

The entire staff
    funny....

The author/editor of Fiddle Music from Nordic Lands is selling directly on eBay.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I'll have to pick that up.

Blog Entries

Picked up the "Fiddle Music from Northern Lands" book. It was 26.60 Euro with shipping and came to a little over 40.00 US. Well worth the money with CD and wire bound lay out. Been having a great time reading through these.

thanks Morgan for metsakukkia ,i shall try to play. erol

Quote Originally Posted by theinone View Post

Hi,
    yes it's my book - Thanks Ted.

I still have those books available, with more brownish cover. Let me know if you are interested. I could think of trading
    books or CDs as well since sending money to Finland might be complex if you don't have Paypal.
    The other books Ted refers to are a duet book and a fiddle guidebook for 'grown ups' . All in Finnish but the music is universal.

Blog Entries

Hi there I would be interested to learn Finnish music for the mandolin. As you will see I am a beginner stationed in South Africa so I may not have much to tried. However, I believe if we contact each other off list I could obtain your details and perhaps pay electronically easily enough?

Best Vanillamandolin

Saw a great Finnish-American duo, Kaivama, last night, and bought their tune book. The fiddler, Sara, is a student of Arto Jarvela. I'll try to get a chance to work through the tunes.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

All this serves as inspiration to work towards playing the Finnish music. Now let's count the days to my mandolin arriving and all the hours of practice I will need to play the attached music. So for now, one of you must play it and upload to mandolin cafe?
    Best Vanillamandolin

Hi again,
    I got 2 private messages about the tunes in my Mandoliiniopas
    Here's the list with origin and all tunes in the book have both music & tabs:

Laulu Dnjeprille Finnish
    Pieni tytön tylleröinen Finnish
    Emma Finnish
    Kymmentä kynttä Finnish
    Ajelivat mustalaiset Finnish
    Sä lumi lentävä Finnish
    Villiruusu Finnish
    Eikä sitä sanaa sanoa saisi Finnish
    Le petit bonhomme French
    Minka Russian
    Auran aallot Finnish
    Pala Magla Greek
    Leskiäidin tyttäret Finnish
    Valssi Toijalasta Finnish
    Koiviston polska Finnish
    Tuusteppi Finnish
    Fingerpolka Danish
    Eldankajärven jää Russian
    Bublisthki Russian
    Kerenski Russian
    Lomir zich iberbetn Jewish
    Krimiläinen sävelmä Russian
    Knapsauspolkka Vetelistä Finnish
    Pientä polskaa Viitasaarelta Finnish
    Sianporsaan valssi Finnish
    Koskisen Sakarin valssi Finnish
    Tremandreel Danish
    To ting Danish
    Hewlett Irish
    Kerry polka Irish
    Jerry's beaver hat Irish
    Pleasures of hope Irish
    Kauhajokelainen polkka Finnish
    Hauranmaan polska Finnish
    Unkarilainen kansantanssi Hungarian
    Gaitanaki Greek
    Jössehäradspolska Swedish
    Enkeliska Finnish
    Norrala polska Swedish
    Ance battante original
    Vielle original
    Saturday Night Breakdown American
    Frank's house American
    Reel de Courville Cajun
    Keep her under your chin American
    Vanha sotiisi Kaustiselta Finnish
    El Amor de panchita Mexican
    Triolietydi Classical
    Bourr'e Classical
    Lamentarola Classical
    O'Carolan's concerto Irish

27. The following members say thank you to Jaakko for this post:

Blog Entries

Thanks Jaakko, thats a great site. I will be using some of that on guitar and checking further into this recourse. I have a question on the Fiddle Music from Northern Lands book. I have been reading through this book and ran into a dirge or funeral piece called "Soorgelat fran Indal" written by a fiddler who had lost three of his children in infancy, two in a fire. I wondered what would be the tempo on a piece like this?