Thread: Mandolin Lessons in Lafayette, Louisiana

Default Mandolin Lessons in Lafayette, Louisiana

Anyone from this area able to recommend a good mandolin teacher for a beginner?

Thanks!
    I love that the same people who believe the moon landing was a government conspiracy think that wrestling is real.

Default Re: Mandolin Lessons in Lafayette, Louisiana

Quote Originally Posted by VICECIV View Post
    Anyone from this area able to recommend a good mandolin teacher for a beginner?
    What, the triangle isn't good enough for you?

(Just kidding. I say that as a huge Cajun music fan who spent a few unforgettable--though perhaps regrettable--nights in Lafayette dance halls back in the day.)

You can have one of the best teachers no matter where you live......Mike Marshall, he teaches all genres, on your computer........ check it out:
    http://www.academyofbluegrass.com/publicmandolin

I would contact the local music stores.

I agree that your local music stores would be a good route. They always need to know good teachers to send folks to after purchase of a mando and the fact that you already have a mando shouldn't matter because they benefit from the growth of the mando as a desirable instrument. I would save Mike Marshal for after you become comfortable and fairly skilled in the basics. At that point his advice and instructions will be golden. But unless you already have the basics I wouldn't waste his time, nor (I suspect) would he want to take on rank beginners.
    Bart McNeil

Thanks guys. Cajun country makes it hard to find instruction around here. They dont sell mandolins in the music stores....nor do many people know how to play one. I once went to a concert that had a bluegrass bill on the docket, followed by a french band....the audience sat there...arms crossed, and would not clap for the bluegrass band. (they were mad that they had to wait for it to end before they could dance to the cajun music) I'm prettymuch on my own down here i guess
    I love that the same people who believe the moon landing was a government conspiracy think that wrestling is real.

You might try Savoy Music Center on highway 190 between Eunice and Lawtell. Marc Savoy builds Cajun Accordions but he knows all the acoustic musicians in the area.
    They have a great jam at Savoys on Saturday mornings, all players are welcome (but only one triangle at a time!) And I've seen mandolin players there.

Bon Chance!
    Last edited by John Kasley; Oct-11-2012 at 9:35am.
    John Kasley
    Williamsburg, VA