Thread: A pick that works for me

Default A pick that works for me

Ive had a hard time playing with mandolin snapped picks like the CT-55. While I love the sound I have grip issues where it slides around and out of the best position. I've tried the "special grip" that is often discussed here and used my many (most?) of the pros, but I have problems with it. #1 is that I cant match the single note speed I get when I use guitar style hold at the end of the finger/thumb. #2 is that the tip of the pick just doesn't seem quite long enough, and I often am bashing the fingernail of my index finger into the string as well as the pick. After a show or jam the nail would be worn down and ragged.

I'm gonna hold onto my triangle picks and practice the "mandolin grip," all the pros and MC people cannot be wrong. But in the meantime I found a pick that is workg great for me.

John Pearse Fast Turtle Medium 2.5mm with dimple.

I bought this at Joe Val fest this year, used it for my performance at the showcase, then put it away and didn't look at it for many months. Now that I've found it again, I can't put it down, and the triangle picks feel very bad. The JP pick has a lopsided guitar pick profile, but is very thick with a dimple that makes it easy to hold and maintain proper orientation. Being at the end of my fingertips, I can play faster, cleaner, and with more power than the other way. Since the tip is longer, it keeps my fingertips and nails from bashing the strings. Even though the point of the pick is pointy, I can get a nice tremolo out of it. I think the material (casian?) has a great sound, similar to blue chip, much better than a Tortex or Ultex guitar pick.

Sorry to gush, but this thing has given me a turbo boost, and may be worth a try for anyone who just isn't getting comfortable with the current mando-pick tech and methods.

Default Re: A pick that works for me

It's hard to imagine you had grip problems with a Blue Chip. I no longer use my Blue Chip for other reasons, but the grip was the best of any pick I have ever used. The other pick I liked for grip was the V-Pick, although I ended up not liking the tone from it. One of the things players talk about a lot is the way the Blue Chip sticks to your fingers so well but glides through the strings so easily. However, I glad you found something that works for you. I would try it if it came in a large triangle (346) shape. I need a bigger surface to hold onto. I kind of bugs me that some manufacturers make a certain pick in only one shape.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

This is the first I have heard of these.....

http://www.jpstrings.com/brpicks.htm

I think I might give one a try, thanks for the post
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

i bought all 3 sizes of the Fast Turtle picks. The thinnest one is wonderful on a D18 and identical to the only real turtle shell pick i own. The other 2 seemed to click a lot, but i haven't tried to reverse the angle like some jazz players.

So far my favorite tone on mandolin has been with the 2mm Dunlop Ultra with the sharp tip worked and smoothed down. But that could simply be a taste thing.

i 'spect the thick ones could be good on a gypsy jazz guitar, like the Selmer/Macaferri copies.

Glad you have a winner and posted....dan

I'm going to order a few more, will definitely order a thin one for guitar at your recommendation. The pick click on mandolin with the medium FT doesn't seem any better or worse than the other picks I have.

Everyone says BC picks are good for hold, and I agree while practicing, but when I'm playing live my hands get sweaty and it shifts around a lot. It works ok for chording, but fast leads is where it falls apart. I have a lot better results with the FT, for fast leads at 300+ BPM.

I used to use the regular JP Jazz pick as my main mandolin pick so these certainly appeal. Now I use the large Jazz BC 35 or 40. Of course, it would be fun to try one and see how they sound and play.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Destroyer of Mandolins

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Budz View Post
    ... all the pros and MC people cannot be wrong.
    Oh yes we can!

Use what works for you. It's your music, go out and make it!
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

To each his own, but love the Blue Chip CT-55. Helps my playing a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    To each his own, but love the Blue Chip CT-55. Helps my playing a good deal.
    +1

I received two John Pearse fast turtle picks today, A thin and a medium. The medium (2.5mm) is very nice to hold with the dimple but it is too thick to my liking. I also felt that there is a lot of clicking coming off the string.
    The thin (1.2mm) lacks the dimple but is slightly curved. For a "thin" pick it is very stiff and has a bright "Ping" when dropped on a table top. I like the way it playes quite a bit and the sound is full with out the noise of it's larger brother. I usually play a tear drop shaped pick but I find the lopsided shape to my liking. I am looking forward to playing this pick at our next Old Time jam. Now I have to figure out what to do with the other $10.oo pick I won't use........
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I think the pick click has lessened with some playing. I'll have to try one of the thinner versions, might be nice for guitar.

It's funny, I was on vacation this week and had a lot of time to practice in the mornings and was able to feel a lot more comfortable with the conventional pick shape and hold. Things are always different when practicing and playing a live show..

On a whim, included one of the thin Pearse Fast Turtle picks in a recent Elderly order. I like it. Currently not my favorite pick, but it is certainly in the rotation. As Charley said, it is slightly curved and fits into the grip nicely. It's not as hard as Ultem or Tusq, but has a tone something like a Wegen, and sounds good on an oval hole mando.
    Kit
    Guitars, Mandos, Violins, Dulcimers, Cats